I have an iPhone 3G that is jailbroken and unlocked. I used it on Fido network and synced with my computer with no problems at all.

I recently gave it to my father. He put a ROGERS sim card in it and is using it on ROGERS network. The phone works just fine. I left all the settings in it the way they were when I used it with FIDO though.

When he connects it to his itunes on his computer, he gets the error: "The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported"

Itunes recognizes the iPhone, yet I do not get about page with the name and number of the iPhone and no other tabs to control the sync options.

What do I need to do in order to fix this problem?

Please help.
    2009-02-08 07:29 PM
    Might be a dumb question, but did you dad hit 'update'. If he did, your phone is not jailbroken anymore and it is not unlocked anymore. What's your software version and modem firmware version(settings/general/about).
    2009-02-11 12:34 AM
    No, he did not hit update. He is not even able to see that screen as this error message is blicking About screen.
    Software version 2.2
    Modem version 02.28.00
    2009-02-11 01:14 AM
    *just another shot in the dark

Is he running the same version of iTunes as you?

This is an odd problem. If it is unlocked, the phone should show in iTunes just fine. Sorry you're having trouble. I have the same situation. I have a Fido iPhone and I use a Rogers SIM from time to time.
    I put my Rogers sim in the iPhone and started iTunes. All is well here. Although I'm running yellowsn0w 0.9.8. Just for sh1ts and giggles, I ejected the Rogers sim and inserted the Fido sim and iTunes recognised the phone number change right away.

Have you messed with mobileinstallation?
    2009-02-11 02:40 AM
    Yes, we are both running the same version of iTunes, the latest one.

Yes, I have messed with mobile installation.
    After I jailbroke the phone, I have replaced the original with the updated version for 2.2 software and it worked fine on my own itunes with the altered mobileinstalation file.
    Should I do something about it?
    2009-02-11 03:54 AM
    If the phone was jailbroken with Quickpwn you may need to DFU restore and rejailbreak/unlock. For some reason Quickpwn is tricky with the lockdownd file since it replaces it after the fact whereas if you used a custom firmware and restored to that there are NEVER any issues switching SIM cards. Regardless I say you restore and start over.
    2009-02-11 04:15 AM
    How do I restore if the restore function is not available in iTunes? The about page is not available in itunes as it is taken bu this error message.
    What do I do after I restore? Connect to itunes prior to jailbreaking?

poseidon79,

Would it be the same if instead of restore in iTunes, I went to iPhone's settings and did a full reset?
    Or is there a way to force restore through iTunes when the restore button is not abvailable?
    Last edited by retfeg; 2009-02-11 at 04:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-02-11 04:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD