ok heres the story from start to finish, i first purchased the iphone 3g unlocked and jailbroken, it was for my girlfriend, she tried updating to 2.2.1 on itunes and it froze on the screen of the usb plug and the itunes logo, i found a guy locally who fixed it for me and was able to unlock and jailbreak it again for $40, he told me if it ever said no service i need to insert the sim in another phone make a call and but it back in and it would work, so today it happend to tell her it had no service so when she took out the sim she noticed it had a black thin sim called i-smartphone 3g, it works fine with it, however, she'd rather have it how it used to be without the black little sim thing. i tried jailbreaking it again with the quickpwn tool and installed yellowsn0w but it still tells me no service, did i do something wrong or do i need the sim chip thing? if theres anyway i could do the unlock and jailbreak WITHOUT using the black sim PLEASE let me know and show me how to do it because i am a total noob at this, thanks in advance
    2009-02-18 02:19 AM
    You cant. There is no soft unlock for 2.2.1

The "little black thing" is a sim-adaptor. The only thing you can use.
    2009-02-18 02:26 AM
    ok so until they come out with an updated yellowsn0w i have to keep using the sim adapter correct?
    2009-02-18 02:28 AM
    Yup.
    2009-02-18 02:29 AM
    awesome, thanks dude, i couldnt figure out how to do this without the sim adapter.. any ETA on the new update?
    2009-02-18 02:39 AM
    No idea. If we hear anything, im sure it will be pasted all over the front page news.
    2009-02-18 02:49 AM
    lol, ok and one more question, i d/l'd the firmware 2.2.1 for the 3g and the 2g, but wich one is the 2.2? just in case any of my friends want to jailbreak their phone i dont upgrade their firmware and cant unlock it without the sim adapter
    2009-02-18 02:58 AM
    If you really want to unlock your iPhone that band and you don't know to use pwnage tool to create your own FW. Then I would recommend downgradin to 2.2 for now and tell your friends to stay on 2.2 until a yellowsn0w update comes along.if your gonna downgrading to 2.2 there is plenty of How-to's here on MMI. And no you don't need a sim adapter if you are on 2.2. Granted you use the current 3G unlock, yellowsn0w
    2009-02-19 02:29 AM
    My understanding is that you can not downgrade to 2.2.1 once you have upgraded the baseband to 2.30 it stays so. Yellowsnow wont work for the baseband and you dont have any choices yet but get an sim card. Or wait for a new version of yellowsnow from the dev team. Which will instantly be met with an apple upgrade and so on...
    "Apple a day keeps the doctor away"
    2009-02-19 05:27 PM
    My understanding is that you can not downgrade to 2.2.1 once you have upgraded the baseband to 2.30 it stays so. Yellowsnow wont work for the baseband and you dont have any choices yet but get an sim card. Or wait for a new version of yellowsnow from the dev team. Which will instantly be met with an apple upgrade and so on...
    yup that is true sorry I forgot about that. Once you update your screwed until a new yellowsn0w.
    2009-02-19 05:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD