User Tag List

I recently bought an iPhone 3G (8GB) from craigslist.

I tried to different carriers SIM cards successfully before buying it to make sure it was unlocked as advertised. They worked fine so I paid.
    When I got home i checked the about page and the Phone states
    2.2.1 with Modem 02.30.03!!

I can put any SIM in there and it will lock on.
    Reading about 02.30.03 it seems this should not be possible?
    Have the person I bought it from patched it with a custom firmware that has the older modem but is signed with the new version?

What has been done? any thoughts>?
    2009-04-06 01:46 PM
    1. Your phone is factory unlocked
    or
    2. Your phone is using a turbo sim (which I doubt as you would have noticed it)
    2009-04-06 08:03 PM
    Cool, I will look a the model number at see if it matches any of the factory unlocked models listed @ About activating iPhone 3G with a wireless carrier

This is quite a bonus I'm not sure the guy knew even ...
    2009-04-06 09:40 PM
    or
    Cool, I will look a the model number at see if it matches any of the factory unlocked models listed @ About activating iPhone 3G with a wireless carrier

Yup, Model MB489NF, and according to the web site a Mobistar Phone that is NOT locked to carrier wo ho..

Stupid Question: When 3.0 comes out I can just upgrade w/o worries right?

or

Yup, Model MB489NF, and according to the web site a Mobistar Phone that is NOT locked to carrier wo ho..

Stupid Question: When 3.0 comes out I can just upgrade w/o worries right?
    Last edited by noonas; 2009-04-07 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-04-07 12:26 PM
    Does it work with sim networks outside USA...thanx
    2009-04-07 02:09 PM
    Yes, I have put in a Fido, Rogers and an O2 SIM, all working w/o any problems. No turbo sim installed (Duh) and it's not jailbroken etc.
    2009-04-07 02:18 PM
    Could u ask the guy on craigslist who u bought the phone from as to how he had the phone unlocked - by calling att or else?

If att can unlock then thats the road i wanna be on. I have att but would still like to unlock phone so could be used in India (my home country) whever i visit.
    2009-04-07 04:16 PM
    Could u ask the guy on craigslist who u bought the phone from as to how he had the phone unlocked - by calling att or else?

If att can unlock then thats the road i wanna be on. I have att but would still like to unlock phone so could be used in India (my home country) whever i visit.
    The phone was bought in France according to him, but the model number indicates Belguim.
    2009-04-07 04:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD