User Tag List

I've read through many of the posts on this forum as well as others and I can't find anything that will help me out so forgive me if I'm being redundant. Here's my problem, I recently upgraded my firmware to 2.2.1 and began having all kinds of problems. I was out of town for the weekend and something happened to my phone and it ended up in recovery mode. I was finally able to get it restored to factory settings with 2.2.1; I then went through the process outlined on iClarified to create a new IPSW (the same as everywhere else) using pwnage 2.2.5 and the expert mode. Everything is cool until I try to restore using the custom IPSW. The process seems to freeze up during the restore. As I type, iTunes has a display that says "Waiting for iPhone..." and the phone has the apple logo displayed with a status bar below it that is completely full, as if it were 100% complete. Problem is, nothing is happening. How long does this take??? I've pawned my phone before but since the problem last week decided to start fresh and have had all kinds of trouble. Finally able to get the right firmware and an IPSW and now I seem to be stuck. Any ideas???

I've read about some USB problems with Leopard, I recently upgraded to that as well, could this be the problem? I been searching the net all day trying to figure this out and I've come up with nothing. Any help please?
    2009-04-08 04:03 PM
    The only way to unlock 2.2.1 is with some sort of sim adapter (TurboSim, RebelSim, ect). When you upgraded to 2.2.1 you permanently upgraded your baseband so making a custom firmware does you no good now.

Sorry
    2009-04-08 09:07 PM
    If you used Pwnage and checked off unlock baseband and activate you should be ok.

Leopard 10.5.6 requires either a powered USB hub to jailbreak. There is a hack you can do as well and youd have to google for that.
    2009-04-08 11:44 PM
    The only way to unlock 2.2.1 is with some sort of sim adapter (TurboSim, RebelSim, ect). When you upgraded to 2.2.1 you permanently upgraded your baseband so making a custom firmware does you no good now.
    I know I've read about others who have unlocked 2.2.1 using pwnage or quickpwn, I don't understand why I'm not able to unlock my phone with the same tools. I don't know anything about sim adapters or how they work so I'll have to look into that.

If you used Pwnage and checked off unlock baseband and activate you should be ok.

Leopard 10.5.6 requires either a powered USB hub to jailbreak. There is a hack you can do as well and youd have to google for that.
    When I used pwnage I did check off unlock baseband I didn't anticipate a problem. Could the USB situation be the reason my phone seems to freeze? The error code I get is 09, when I finally either disconnect the phone from my macbook or the battery dies.

Is it possible for me to downgrade to a previous firmware, then use pwnage, or is the baseband change done for good? I don't think I mentioned it, but my phone is a 2G. Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by wellis77; 2009-04-09 at 05:50 AM.
    2009-04-09 05:39 AM
    I know I've read about others who have unlocked 2.2.1 using pwnage or quickpwn, I don't understand why I'm not able to unlock my phone with the same tools. I don't know anything about sim adapters or how they work so I'll have to look into that.
    That's because people who used pwnage were going from 2.2 to 2.2.1. Pwnage allows you to preserve your baseband from 2.2 which was 02.28.xx. Yellowsn0w was the software unlock for this baseband.

Upgrading to 2.2.1 without a custom firmware preserving your baseband permanently upgraded your baseband to 02.30.03 which Yellowsn0w does not work on and the dev team has already stated they're beginning work on the new baseband with 3.0

Hopefully you can understand that. If you want to know what baseband you have go to Setting -> General -> About and it's at the bottom. If it says 02.30.03 you're only option to unlock is a sim adapter.
    2009-04-09 01:39 PM

When I used pwnage I did check off unlock baseband I didn't anticipate a problem. Could the USB situation be the reason my phone seems to freeze? The error code I get is 09, when I finally either disconnect the phone from my macbook or the battery dies.

Is it possible for me to downgrade to a previous firmware, then use pwnage, or is the baseband change done for good? I don't think I mentioned it, but my phone is a 2G. Thanks for the help.
    Your freezing issue is your USB issue since you are on 10.5.6. Downgrading your firmware will not help, yo need a powered USB port or the OSX hack.

If you did check off unlock baseband you should be fine once you can restore the custom firmware. I suggest you fix the USB issue, then run Pwnage from the start as if you had never done it, create a new custom unocked firmware as you did before and restore.
    2009-04-09 01:44 PM
    I managed to get to a PC today, got the phone into DFU and restored the firmware to 2.2.1. I was then able to get it pwned on the pc which worked perfectly. After I put the SIM card in it and moved the slider to open up the phone, it froze on me and went back to recovery mode. Everything was great until I tried to actually use the phone, and then it was dead once again.

I'm at a loss with this thing. Could this be a hardware issue, or is it still likely a software issue? Any thoughts on what my options are?
    2009-04-11 02:31 PM
    I once had my phone freeze like that showing the recovery screen and I did a hard reset (hold poe=wer and home buttons at same time until boot screen comes on) You might have to do it 2 or 3 times. If it still wont work, you may hve to tyr the restore again. SOmetimes for reasons unknown a restore gets corrupted. You also may want to try to create a new custom firmware using a fresh download of stock firmware. Since you have already successfully PWNed your phone you should be able to do this all on yur mac with pwnage.
    2009-04-11 03:08 PM
    I'm an ATT customer, I'm trying to unlock my phone in case I can give it away or let someone with TMobile or go back to Vietnam and use my iPhone.. I have a 2G iphone .. every time I do a restore then update my firmware .. then I used QuickPwn to unlock and jailbreak my iphone ... everything seemed to have work perfectly ... I saw the bootloader flashing and everything .. i thought my iphone was unlocked every time until recently my friend wanted to borrow my phone when his phone was dead. Then I use another ATT SIM .. then my phone won't accept the SIM ..even if it's an ATT SIM ... why ? .. I haven't met up with my friend to use his t mobile sim yet .. so I guess the phone is stucked with the ATT SIM that goes with the iPhone when I first bought and purchased it and activated it ... I always thought everything i did was right .. but now I'm lost!
    2009-04-12 08:49 PM
    I'm an ATT customer, I'm trying to unlock my phone in case I can give it away or let someone with TMobile or go back to Vietnam and use my iPhone.. I have a 2G iphone .. every time I do a restore then update my firmware .. then I used QuickPwn to unlock and jailbreak my iphone ... everything seemed to have work perfectly ... I saw the bootloader flashing and everything .. i thought my iphone was unlocked every time until recently my friend wanted to borrow my phone when his phone was dead. Then I use another ATT SIM .. then my phone won't accept the SIM ..even if it's an ATT SIM ... why ? .. I haven't met up with my friend to use his t mobile sim yet .. so I guess the phone is stucked with the ATT SIM that goes with the iPhone when I first bought and purchased it and activated it ... I always thought everything i did was right .. but now I'm lost!
    If you have a 2G you dont have to worry about the baseband you can still unlock. Admittedly, as an ATT customer myself, im not totally up to speed on unlocking, but I believe you can unlock a 2G on any firmware using Pwnage on a Mac or Quickpwn on a PC.
    Last edited by bhz1; 2009-04-13 at 01:57 PM. Reason: clarified info.
    2009-04-13 12:27 AM
    2009-04-13 12:54 AM
    If you have a 2G you dont have to worry about the baseband you can still unlock. Admittedly, as an ATT customer myself, im not totally up to speed on unlocking, but I believe (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) you can still use Yellosnow to unlock?
    Unless the baseband for the 3G is 02.30. 02.28 is still unlockable with yellowsn0w, but 02.30 is not unlockable.

2G is unlockable for any baseband.
    If I helped you, then hit the "Thanks!" button please.

I can't find Cydia on app store
    2009-04-13 01:41 AM
    2gs baseband has not been updated in awhile
    2009-04-13 06:54 AM
    Doubt the 2g baseband will get updated, because apple no they have failed
    Signature cleaned...
    2009-04-13 11:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD