hello!

i have a very very very weirdisherisherish question. since so many people are waiting for the release of ultrasnow, i wonder why? what does it do? will it affect the phone plan or something?

yes, call me a dummy newbie. i have never unlocked my iphone before and i wasn't interested. and now soooooo many people are getting so excited about ultrasnow and i would like to know what's it about?

my brother bought me an iphone, by the way, and he pays the bills. and i don't want to mess up anything if i'm starting to unlock my iphone. cuz unlocking sounds risky, yeah, no?

anyhow, i really really really miss my jailbroken iphone. so now that 3.0 jailbreak is already out, but the pwnage tool isn't working because it's not suitable for my mac, as well as for some other mac users. so, there goes redsnow... which is jailbreak AND unlock for only 2g iphones, which basically got me thinking that redsnow for 2g is like ultrasnow. and i have a 2g iphone and really want to jailbreak it, but want no trouble with unlocking thing.

yeah, weird question, ehhh?

oh, mang. is this really a hard question? O__O
    Last edited by hieuky; 2009-06-22 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-06-22 11:00 PM
    UltraSnOw is for unlocking the 3G w/3.0, you don't need it.
    Here's a link that may help you.
    Last edited by Bo Troxell; 2009-06-22 at 11:09 PM.
    2009-06-22 11:03 PM
    ultrasn0w will unlock 3g 3.0, while right now redsn0w only jailbreaks it. People have been waiting for an unlock like this for a long time.

EDIT: Blah, blkcadigal beat me by 10 seconds
    2009-06-22 11:03 PM
    hello!

i have a very very very weirdisherisherish question. since so many people are waiting for the release of ultrasnow, i wonder why? what does it do? will it affect the phone plan or something?

yes, call me a dummy newbie. i have never unlocked my iphone before and i wasn't interested. and now soooooo many people are getting so excited about ultrasnow and i would like to know what's it about?

my brother bought me an iphone, by the way, and he pays the bills. and i don't want to mess up anything if i'm starting to unlock my iphone. cuz unlocking sounds risky, yeah, no?

anyhow, i really really really miss my jailbroken iphone. so now that 3.0 jailbreak is already out, but the pwnage tool isn't working because it's not suitable for my mac, as well as for some other mac users. so, there goes redsnow... which is jailbreak AND unlock for only 2g iphones, which basically got me thinking that redsnow for 2g is like ultrasnow. and i have a 2g iphone and really want to jailbreak it, but want no trouble with unlocking thing.

yeah, weird question, ehhh?

oh, mang. is this really a hard question? O__O
    Redsnow will jailbreak your 2g phone. You don't have to unlock it. I believe there is an option through the process (read the instruction for redsnow). I have a 2g and a 3g. My 2g is already j/b and unlocked. (i have Tmob). Ultrasnow is for 3.0 firmware and 3g iphones. But, you can j/b your 2g phone only if you wish with unlocking.

Be sure to hit the thanks button.... Thanks! GL!
    Give me some free... Free! Which way is to... Give me some free...
    2009-06-22 11:06 PM
    ultrasn0w will unlock 3g 3.0, while right now redsn0w only jailbreaks it. People have been waiting for an unlock like this for a long time.

EDIT: Blah, blkcadigal beat me by 10 seconds
    2009-06-22 11:10 PM
    thank you all for your replies! this isn't quite that i was looking for, though. what i wanted to know is: what does unlocking do exactly? why do we really "need" it?
    2009-06-23 04:05 AM
    thank you all for your replies! this isn't quite that i was looking for, though. what i wanted to know is: what does unlocking do exactly? why do we really "need" it?
    unlocking allows you to use the iPhone with carriers other than AT&T
    2009-06-23 04:07 AM
    Unlocking allows you to use the phone on another GSM carrier other than its official carrier, like AT&T.

So you can take an ATT iphone, unlock it.....then use it on Tmobile for example.

EDIT: Friggin heck...Blkcadi beat me again.....by 11 seconds...
    2009-06-23 04:08 AM
    thank you agaaaain, for your replies! one tiny tweeny weeny little thing though... and i still didn't get an answer.

why do we really "need" it?
    what are the advantages and disadvantages of unlocking? i've seen so many people getting excited for ultrasnow and the question is... why?
    2009-06-23 06:54 AM
    It differs. For some the unlock will let them use it on a carrier that has better service in their area. For others it is a way to save money because other carriers can offer them better deals on their monthly plans than AT&T can.

Oh and you can use a pay prepaid simcard while overseas too instead of paying AT&T's roaming rates. AND if your phone is unlocked you get more money for it when you decide to sell it.
    Last edited by CaptainChaos; 2009-06-23 at 07:11 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-06-23 07:11 AM
    ahhhh, i see. so, it basically will affect the phone bills or something once you unlock the iphone? even when you sign two year contract?
    2009-06-24 02:11 AM
    People unlock because they want to use a different carrier then ATT, for example. In the US, ATT is the only option locked. The phone is sold locked, which means if you stick a T-Mobile SIM in it, for example, it will reject it and not work. Unlocking the phone allows other carriers to work.
    If you are on ATT, Unlocking the phone will not affect ANYTHING, including your bills.

People choose to unlock because they already have a contract with another service provider, etc. Verizon/Sprint will not work with the iPhone because they use a CDMA network. ATT and T-Mobile are GSM. GSM and CDMA are basically the two different cell network types, something to do with the cell signal and towers, etc. GSM is used more globally then CDMA, which is predominantly North America.

For example, I unlock my phone so I can use a different carrier when I travel. I am traveling to England, and I don't want to just have to be stuck with O2 (Englands iPhone Carrier), so I unlocked my phone so I can use a different carrier then the 'supported' ones.
    2009-06-24 02:33 AM
    i wonder if there are some instruction how to use ultrasnow ???

ohh yeah i did JB with blackrain on my 3gs and 3g but 3gs when i need to reeboot the device after that i have to jb
    does the ultra snow will help something on that case
    Last edited by darksoul01; 2009-11-29 at 01:44 AM.
    2009-11-29 01:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD