Hi I have been out of the iPhone loop for about a year now and have sort of forgotten how to unlock/jailbreak my iPhone onto the latest 3.0 OS. If I could have some step by step help to solve my dilemma that would be greatly appreciated. Why am I still on 1.1.4? I am a busy pilot and I don't have the time I used to have...

My Specs are:

iPhone: 2G
    version: 1.1.4
    Modem firmware: 04.04.05_G
    iTunes: 8.0.2.20

I understand after unlocking/jailbreaking my phone using ZiPhone 3 that my baseband is probably v 3.9

I am a literate computer user (I know what I am doing-but haven't the time to relearn everything). I am running Win XP Pro SP3 (up to date with NET frameworks etc).

One request I make is, will my current iPhone backups through iTunes work on version 3.0 OS? Particularly concerned with contacts (500+)....

Thanks for reading the rather long post,

help would be appreciated

P.S. I have downloaded Redsn0w but lack an original ISPW
    2009-06-24 04:45 PM
    Try this link (which will also give you links for the ipsw)..... iClarified - iPhone - How to Unlock/Jailbreak Your iPhone 2G on OS 3.0 Using RedSn0w (Windows)

Mine worked faultlessly although I was on 2.2.1 & on a Mac.

Don't forget you'll need to update iTunes first & do a backup of your phone beforehand otherwise you will lose any info.

Have a read of other tutorials on that site as well as their maybe better options for your circumstances.
    2009-06-24 05:21 PM
    definately backup your contacts... i use my gmail account to do so...
    >>**Please thank me if I helped you...**<<

2009-06-24 05:27 PM
    Agree with Beva.

iTunes should make a backup as long as you sync it before you start but with 500+ contacts I'd definitely make sure I'd back them up somewhere else as well.

BTW, the ipsw will be downloaded direct from Apple so you don't need it with RedsnOw.
    2009-06-24 05:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD