CreamSn0w Installation Screencast (High Definition)

[ame=http://vimeo.com/5778145]CreamSn0w Installation Screencast on Vimeo[/ame]

CreamSn0w Installation Screencast on YouTube
    2009-07-27 07:01 AM
    this crap only works with Mac
    2009-07-27 09:25 AM
    this crap only works with Mac
    It's unfortunate, but it requires PwnageTool, which is mac only. Hopefully, there will be a WinPwn solution in the future. There permission issues on Windows. But, I suspect tools like WinPwn and RedsN0w bypass that problem by having bundles zipped and extract them directly onto the device.

The best solution right now is to ask someone to make a firmare on the Mac and share it.
    2009-07-27 01:11 PM
    Yeah - I looked it up online more and the general consensus was Apple Geniuses have access to a software which can tell if the phone has ever been jailbroken. However, I rarely doubt that someone would run it - unless they were being really tough on someone.

I do think this is a good alternative for people who aren't very tech savvy, for example if you wanted to unlock your parents phone or a friend and they don't want the added stuff.
    2009-07-27 01:33 PM
    They can't tell if the phone has 'ever been jailbroken'. They can tell if it is 'currently' jailbroken. I'm on my 4th or 5th iPhone. The easiest check is to see if the system partition is writable. The software doesn't have to be complicated. I do know that RipDev's Pusher, now part of InstallerApp locks back the system partition after it is done. It would be interesting to learn how it checks. Like you said, the probability of them using it is very low unless it is done automatically when they hook it up to one of their MacBooks. From what I've been reading around, they tend to look for Cydia in Springboard.
    2009-07-27 01:47 PM
    Except for they can - putting the phone in DFU and then restoring eliminates *almost* all traces of a jailbreak - but there is some still on the phone. I've definitely heard people talking about this before on here - anyone else know about it??
    2009-07-27 01:58 PM
    Except for they can - putting the phone in DFU and then restoring eliminates *almost* all traces of a jailbreak - but there is some still on the phone. I've definitely heard people talking about this before on here - anyone else know about it??
    That doesn't make any sense. If you could provide some links, that would be awesome.
    2009-07-27 02:14 PM
    That doesn't make any sense. If you could provide some links, that would be awesome.
    Have you JailBroken your iPhone? - Hacking - iPhone
    Has anyone ever been refused service because of a jailbroken iPhone? - MacTalk Forums

here are some i just found online - but it seems to be something that might have just been spread around.. some people say that the diagnostic tool the Apple Genius people use can tell if it has ever been jailbroken, or if it is currently jailbroken.
    Anyways, I'm not too sure - it would be good to know more information as well.
    2009-07-27 04:12 PM
    I don't know about said device. Never heard of it. Link?
    I think that if you speak with a foreign accent, they won't be suspicious, especially if you are on prepaid. They'll think you're a visitor with an unlocked phone.
    I love cydia but anyway, you can buy official unlocked iphones from authorised dealers e.g. play.com - selling iphone 3gs 32gb unlocked for 899 (they also sell the 16gb and 3g as well) - point is you can buy factory unlocked iphones.

I think the thing to do is not act foreign but come into the apple store with an armani suite and act like a dumbass who doesn't know a thing about jailbreaking.lol!

On a side note it wouldn't be very hard to find out if the phone is jailbroken, you just need a tool which see if it can access to var/root. After all jailbreaking is just breaking out of the chrooted /private/var/root/Media/ 'jail'.
    Last edited by javsay; 2009-07-27 at 04:26 PM.
    2009-07-27 04:21 PM
    Serious questions here and try to respond without flying off the deep end....So you repackaged Saurik's Mobile Substrate without permission? And how do you intend on getting updates of Mobile Substrate on the phone with no apparent jailbreak or app?? Also just noticed you packaged Ultrasn0w in your bundle without permission as well??
    really man why do you have to get so offensive over OPEN SOURCE. People can do whatever they want with it. personally i wouldn't use this because i like the jailbroken apps however it's kinda neat
    Last edited by .:MirrorminD:.; 2009-07-27 at 05:39 PM. Reason: offensive language
    2009-07-27 04:24 PM
    A stupid question here --- I know, but one that has intrigued me ever since the 'Can Apple tell if it's ever been jailbroken' issue came up months/years ago. I've never seen an intelligent response.

With a jb'd phone, we have access to filesystem utilities. One is rm. I'm sure there are others, like fsck.

These are OS resident while they are running. So (as an example) what if someone SSH'd into their phone (or?), did an 'rm -rf /' (deletes everything), or fsck (format the disk)? Of course when it finishes, the iPhone will be completely useless and a very expensive brick.

But then comes the normal DFU/iTunes restore process. Back to normal?

Wouldn't this process remove EVERYTHING ?? including any jb'ing info?
    2009-07-27 04:28 PM
    I always assumed that if someone did that it wouldn't be possible to restore back to firmware/ but i don't know.. :P
    2009-07-27 04:36 PM
    A stupid question here --- I know, but one that has intrigued me ever since the 'Can Apple tell if it's ever been jailbroken' issue came up months/years ago. I've never seen an intelligent response.

With a jb'd phone, we have access to filesystem utilities. One is rm. I'm sure there are others, like fsck.

These are OS resident while they are running. So (as an example) what if someone SSH'd into their phone (or?), did an 'rm -rf /' (deletes everything), or fsck (format the disk)? Of course when it finishes, the iPhone will be completely useless and a very expensive brick.

But then comes the normal DFU/iTunes restore process. Back to normal?

Wouldn't this process remove EVERYTHING ?? including any jb'ing info?
    You're confusing jailbreak with Cydia's UNIX subsystem. All the jailbreak does is open the system partition for modification. There is no shell (no bash), and no coreutils. So you wouldn't have rm -rf /.

RipDev's InstallerApp does lock it back after it's done jailbreaking to install Installer (not sure if it has been updated for Icy).
    2009-07-27 04:47 PM
    You're confusing jailbreak with Cydia's UNIX subsystem. All the jailbreak does is open the system partition for modification. There is no shell (no bash), and no coreutils. So you wouldn't have rm -rf /.

RipDev's InstallerApp does lock it back after it's done jailbreaking to install Installer (not sure if it has been updated for Icy).
    Actually, I'm not confusing it.

I understand your solution does not add (and therefore can not use) the Unix subsystem utilities, my question was more general in nature and applicable to almost all current jb'd users.

If my proposed solution did work at removing all traces from a jb'd iphone, then one could re-jb using redsn0w or pwnage (which does install the Unix subsystem), clean it as suggested, and then DFU/iTunes restore. But the real questions remain: does it/can it really work? Still waiting for an expert response, hopefully someone who's tried it before (probably by accident ). I'm not prepared to give it a try myself (haha)
    Last edited by Mes; 2009-07-27 at 05:07 PM.
    2009-07-27 04:56 PM
    two questions:

would push work properly if creamsn0w were used?

Can you install appsync in some way, since cydia won't be there??

other than that i really think this is a swell unlock, thanks for sharing!
    2009-07-27 11:38 PM
    two questions:

would push work properly if creamsn0w were used?

Can you install appsync in some way, since cydia won't be there??

other than that i really think this is a swell unlock, thanks for sharing!
    It will work if you use an official SIM to activate.
    Don't ask me to support your pirate habits. It's against the board rules. But, to answer your question, yes. Read README.
    2009-07-27 11:41 PM
    It will work if you use an official SIM to activate.
    Don't ask me to support your pirate habits. It's against the board rules. But, to answer your question, yes. Read README.
    ok thanks! and btw i don't use those kinds of apps i buy them and my friends use those kinds of apps
    2009-07-27 11:43 PM
    So has anyone created a firmware for us Windows users to D/L and install to try this out? I would love to see if it helps improve my phone.
    Last edited by Pinhed; 2009-07-30 at 06:51 PM.
    2009-07-30 06:42 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD