so i was thinking of buying the new iphone 3gs, and just wondering what to do and where to start with it?
    2009-08-13 06:41 AM
    It depends on your previous experience I guess. You might have previous smartphone experience and if so you would have certain expectation. Are you going to just use it as a phone ? Or a media device? Or more as a computer? That would determine if you need to jailbreak, and would affect the kind of tweaks and applications you need to install.

So I think it will help to briefly introduce your requirements first.

Cheers.
    2009-08-13 07:34 AM
    +1, an iPhone can do many things, but a lot of those things may include jailbreaking etc, so as eaglesteve said outline what you would like to do .
    2009-08-13 09:19 AM
    The features that I like about the iPhone are the 3.5" wide touch screen and its virtual keyboard...

Cheers~~~
    2009-08-16 04:09 PM
    sorry for late reply, but i have an ipod touch 1g 3.0 jailbroke, and i love all the stuff you can do with it, i know ill most likly jailbrake it, its just what is "unlocking" it and stuff? and how does the iphone differ from and itouch?
    2009-08-19 09:37 AM
    iPhone from iPod touch - iPhone has a camera & mic and, well, you can use it as a phone.
    "unlocking" is if you want to use your phone with other carriers from AT&T (If you're in the US) or other official carriers worldwide.
    Like I use mine with T-mobile so I have to unlock it.

If you're just going to stick with AT&T (or w/e the official carrier is wherever you are) don't need to worry about that.
    If you do want to unlock it, you have to worry about baseband updates and other shenanigans though.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something
    2009-08-19 09:55 AM
    Hm thanks, but what's the purpose of unlocking anway, ik different carriers but why nit stick with the original
    2009-08-19 06:42 PM
    There are lots of reasons.
    Some people bought their phones from a different country because it's not available in their country so they can't use it with their carrier.
    Some people are already on contract with another carrier.
    Some people just want to unlock for when they travel.
    Some people just don't like the official carrier (like AT&T)
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something
    2009-08-19 08:36 PM
    wait a second, like if they didnt like there carrier coudnt they just go to another carrier's store and get the iphone set up that way, instead of unlocking?
    2009-08-19 10:50 PM
    where are you from? if your in the US the iphone is either ATT or Tmobile. the iphone is a powerful device and can be used for a multitude of things. it really just depends what you are looking to do with the iphone. i need the constant connection and dont like having 2 devices (phone and ipod) so i decided to get an iphone that does everythign that i need it to do. once you get it you can jailbreak it to allow you to install/do many things, one simple one being able to theme your phone and customize it to your own liking. so before i think we can give you any advice, you need to let us know what you are looking to achieve with teh purchase of an iphone

My personal opinion is just get it. if you have att or tmobile just get the phone.....we can help you with the rest
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.
    2009-08-19 10:56 PM
    wait a second, like if they didnt like there carrier coudnt they just go to another carrier's store and get the iphone set up that way, instead of unlocking?
    No. The iPhone is one of the very few (if not only) GSM phones in the market (at least in the US) that can't be unlocked by the carrier.
    It is locked to one carrier unless the laws from your country don't allow that (such as from australia and HK) and that is the only carrier the phone will work on.
    To get it to work on other carriers it needs to be unlocked.
    2009-08-19 11:02 PM
    look to the b|S|T section of mmi
    2009-08-20 01:45 PM
    No. The iPhone is one of the very few (if not only) GSM phones in the market (at least in the US) that can't be unlocked by the carrier.
    It is locked to one carrier unless the laws from your country don't allow that (such as from australia and HK) and that is the only carrier the phone will work on.
    To get it to work on other carriers it needs to be unlocked.
    hm, well whats the use of having it locked to 1 carrier? and if its supposed to be locked to 1 carrier, can you get like verizon wireless, us cellular, and stuff on it?
    2009-08-21 11:50 PM
    Nope, only AT&T.
    2009-08-22 12:08 AM
    no i mean after you unlock it does us cellular, verizon and stuff support iphone?

or can some 1 give me a list of sevices that support the iphone unlocked?
    2009-08-29 03:50 AM
    In the US:
    T-mobile
    AT&T
    2009-08-29 03:52 AM
    thats the only 2 that work with it unlocked? if thats it, then why unlock it if you can only chose from another service in the us..
    2009-08-29 04:37 AM
    Because T-mobile>AT&T IMO.
    Nobody is making you unlock of course. Tons of people are perfectly happy with AT&T
    2009-08-29 04:56 AM
    Does t mobile have better coverage than AT&T?
    2009-08-29 05:16 AM
    Depends on your area. In my area - definitely + it's cheaper & there's MMS NOW
    But keep in mind that the iPhone can't get 3G if it's on T-mobile
    2009-08-29 05:27 AM
23 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD