hi,

i got a gift (well actually i took it by force) a 3G 2.2 IPhone.

i used to have a 1st Gen 2.2 IPhone and i know everything about it, but this new 3G i have no clue if it is software or factory unlocked.

my concern is i need to know if i can updte through itunes to 3.0.1 without the need to SHIFT + CLICK THEN USE PREDEFINED PACKAGE.

i know if the 3G is factory unlocked then i can update without any problems.

any help here?

thanx in advance.
    2009-08-17 03:22 PM
    If is running on 2.2, check in Cydia to see if it has Yellowsn0w installed. If it does then it would not be a factory unlocked phone. No worries though. You can restore to 3.0 or 3.0.1 and still unlock it with ultrasn0w.
    2009-08-17 06:48 PM
    If your sim card works (other than AT&T) and cydia or icy is not on your home screen (meaning its not jailbroken), then it would look like its factory unlocked but the chances of that are slim.

Otherwise, update, then use redsn0w to jailbreak and follow these instructions to unlock:

First, plug your phone in and let itunes upgrade your phone to 3.0.1. Then visit Dev-Team Blog to download redsn0w (jailbreak program). Also, download (from this site the 3.0 firmware. Make sure you download the proper one. There is one for the 2G, 3G and now 3GS) Then fire up redsn0w. Follow the instructions and you will have a jailbroken iphone.

Jailbreak steps:
    1- Plug iphone in
    2- Let itunes upgrade it to 3.0.1
    3- Download the 3.0 firmware (from modmyi.com)
    4- Download the redsn0w app (from this site of Dev-Team Blog)
    5- Run redsn0w
    6- When prompted, pick the 3.0 file (not the 3.0.1, they are the same except for the sms fix which is now on your phone)
    7- Close your phone
    8- Put your phone in DFU and let redsn0w jailbreak your phone.
    9- Let it reboot and voilą.

Unlock steps:

1- Open up Cydia
    2- Do the essential updates
    3- If asked, pick "user" in the choice of users
    4- Once the updates are done, it will close
    5- Reopen Cydia
    6- Naviguate to "manage"
    7- Pick "sources"
    8- Click "edit" then "add"
    9- Add the following repo : ultrasn0w.com (where the sn0w is a zero not an "o")
    10- Click "done"
    11- Then click "refresh"
    12- Naviguate to "changes" or click on the "search" tool
    13- Locate Ultrasn0w and install it.
    14- Reboot your phone.

Voilą
    2009-08-17 09:53 PM
    If your sim card works (other than AT&T) and cydia or icy is not on your home screen (meaning its not jailbroken), then it would look like its factory unlocked but the chances of that are slim.

Otherwise, update, then use redsn0w to jailbreak and follow these instructions to unlock:

First, plug your phone in and let itunes upgrade your phone to 3.0.1. Then visit Dev-Team Blog to download redsn0w (jailbreak program). Also, download (from this site the 3.0 firmware. Make sure you download the proper one. There is one for the 2G, 3G and now 3GS) Then fire up redsn0w. Follow the instructions and you will have a jailbroken iphone.

Jailbreak steps:
    1- Plug iphone in
    5- Run redsn0w
    6- When prompted, pick the 3.0 file (not the 3.0.1, they are the same except for the sms fix which is now on your phone)
    7- Close your phone

Unlock steps:

1- Open up Cydia
    5- Reopen Cydia
    6- Naviguate to "manage"
    7- Pick "sources"
    10- Click "done"
    11- Then click "refresh"
    14- Reboot your phone.

Voilą
    People are making a killing like this on ebay/craigslist.

All you have to do is jailbreak, then unlock with ultrasnow, then delete the cydia installer. all of a sudden you have a "factory" unlocked iphone.
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!
    2009-08-17 10:27 PM
    If is running on 2.2, check in Cydia to see if it has Yellowsn0w installed. If it does then it would not be a factory unlocked phone. No worries though. You can restore to 3.0 or 3.0.1 and still unlock it with ultrasn0w.

oki so yes i do have it working in Lebanon (so not AT&T) and i have Cydia installed. i checked the packages list (all) and there is no YellowsnOw so i guess by this logic i have a Factory Unlocked IPhone which i can now update through ITUNES without the need to go through the whole SHIFT + CLICK thing . right?

one last question, after i update, will i loose the Cydia and all the apps i downloaded? or will they remain and the version will only be updated to 3.0.1?

ps: i found out my model number is MB489T and on sokme website it claims this alone is enough to know that IT IS leggaly factory unlocked.

thanks to you dude.. ill do it tonight and enjoy the 3.0.1 stuff now
    2009-08-19 11:19 AM

Jailbreak steps:
    1- Plug iphone in
    5- Run redsn0w
    7- Close your phone

Unlock steps:

1- Open up Cydia
    5- Reopen Cydia
    6- Naviguate to "manage"
    7- Pick "sources"
    10- Click "done"
    11- Then click "refresh"
    14- Reboot your phone.

Voilą
    Question.. (by the way, thanks for the great tutorial.)

I am planning to buy 4 of my cousins iphones (3G) and they live in the middle east. Do I need to jailbreak (and unlock or just jailbreak) or can i just leave it factory and give it to them?

It's much cheaper here to buy an iphone (without a contract even) then to buy from over there.

Are 3G phones factory unlocked and would i need to unlock it or can i just leave it factory/just jailbreak it?

Thanks again
    2009-08-20 01:47 AM
    one last question, after i update, will i loose the Cydia and all the apps i downloaded? or will they remain and the version will only be updated to 3.0.1?

ps: i found out my model number is MB489T and on sokme website it claims this alone is enough to know that IT IS leggaly factory unlocked.

Yes you will have to jailbreak it again to get the 3rd party apps back.

[

Question.. (by the way, thanks for the great tutorial.)

I am planning to buy 4 of my cousins iphones (3G) and they live in the middle east. Do I need to jailbreak (and unlock or just jailbreak) or can i just leave it factory and give it to them?

It's much cheaper here to buy an iphone (without a contract even) then to buy from over there.

Are 3G phones factory unlocked and would i need to unlock it or can i just leave it factory/just jailbreak it?

Thanks again
    No they are not all factory unlocked. You will need to jailbreak it and then unlock it also.
    Last edited by Bo Troxell; 2009-08-20 at 02:51 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-08-20 02:50 AM
    oki so yes i do have it working in Lebanon (so not AT&T) and i have Cydia installed. i checked the packages list (all) and there is no YellowsnOw so i guess by this logic i have a Factory Unlocked IPhone which i can now update through ITUNES without the need to go through the whole SHIFT + CLICK thing . right?

You may want to look for purplera1n. This was the other tool that unlocked the iphone. If you have that, then it is not factory unlock and rumors are that location determines also if an iPhone is set to be unlocked meaning that if the phone is factory unlocked, updating it in US may lock it back but like I mentionned, this is the rumors talking.
    2009-08-20 09:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD