User Tag List

I have been reading a lot of info about unlocking the 3GS and using it in Europe. I have seen sites that step you through the process (which seems quite easy) as well as sites that want to charge you. Is there any readon not to just do the process yourself?

Also, I have read conflicting info about how much functionality is maintained in Europe. I have seen some sites saying full functionality.

In any case, I just want to confirm that if I unlock a US 3GS iPhone that it will work properly in Germany and access its HSDPA network (i.e. Turbo 3G) and function properly in terms of calling, wifi and other key functions. I also need to ensure that apps that work here (such as the VoIP over 3G app from Cydia) as well as Mywi (turns iPhone into wifi hotspot) will work there as well.

thanks,

brian
    2009-09-21 02:59 AM
    In Europe, you get to keep all the functionality. It's only in the US that the iPhone gets crippled if you use it on another carrier (T-mobile uses a different 3G frequency).
    And just do it yourself. The sites that charge you for it are just scams.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something
    2009-09-21 03:01 AM
    Good to hear! Now I have to research if unlock GPS on iPhone is straightforward...
    2009-09-21 03:12 AM
    unlock GPS?
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something
    2009-09-21 03:14 AM
    For instance, until recently, with Verizon phones (Samsung Omnia, etc, etc) you had to do some hacking to use the built in GPS. Now the phones come with GPS unlocked. I was trying to figure out if GPS works on iPhones out of the box (i.e. using google maps with GPS) or if you have to unlock it like people used to do on the Verizon phones.

brian
    2009-09-21 03:44 AM
    Um.. it works out of the box...
    2009-09-21 03:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD