Ok Im thinking of getting a iphone on ebay locked or unlocked to work with my t-mobile sim. If im right the 2g's can be unlocked with no problems right? Now how about the 3g and 3gs, can bopth of these be unlocked? If so does anyone have a guide to point me to? Thanks Thomas
    2010-05-30 01:19 AM
    Ok Im thinking of getting a iphone on ebay locked or unlocked to work with my t-mobile sim. If im right the 2g's can be unlocked with no problems right? Now how about the 3g and 3gs, can bopth of these be unlocked? If so does anyone have a guide to point me to? Thanks Thomas
    2G can be unlocked anytime, 3G or 3GS depends on what versions you got. Unfortunately we cannot point you to a certain thread, it all depends on what you get, some can , others cannot, some has shsh, while some don't have...they are all different.
    2010-05-30 01:36 AM
    What are the firmware and modem versions to avoid if the list is not to long, for the 3g and 3gs then? Thanks
    2010-05-30 01:39 AM
    What are the firmware and modem versions to avoid if the list is not to long, for the 3g and 3gs then? Thanks
    If you buy a 3G, make sure it is on 3.1.2 and unlocked

If you buy a 3GS, make sure it is on 3.1.2 and unlocked and must have Shsh on file with Cydia. Otherwise if your Iphone is stuck, you cannot restore to 3.1.2 again and lose your unlock. It is better to get the Old bootrom if possible but there are only few out there that has old bootrom....

Make sure you ask them where is this Iphone from and to include the official sim card when you buy it.
    All Iphones are considered Untethered now, but there is a "Catch" Here, the real untethered jailbreak is the one that has the old bootrom ( less hassle ), you can use Custom Firmware,on the other hand , New Bootrom must use Stock Apple FW to restore.
    There are alot of people trying to get rid of their Iphones because, they don't have 3.1.2 shsh on file with Cydia, you will eventually have a problem in future reqarding unlock.

New Iphone which has not been jailbroken will not have any Shsh on file too eventhough they are at 3.1.2 and is unlocked. Without 3.1.2 shsh file, there is no way of restoring again to the same version again and therefore you are forced to go to 3.1.3 and render your Iphone useless...(3GS issues only)
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-05-30 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-05-30 02:23 AM
    If you buy a 3G, make sure it is on 3.1.2 and unlocked

If you buy a 3GS, make sure it is on 3.1.2 and unlocked and must have Shsh on file with Cydia. Otherwise if your Iphone is stuck, you cannot restore to 3.1.2 again and lose your unlock. It is better to get the Old bootrom if possible but there are only few out there that has old bootrom....

Make sure you ask them where is this Iphone from and to include the official sim card when you buy it.
    All Iphones are considered Untethered now, but there is a "Catch" Here, the real untethered jailbreak is the one that has the old bootrom ( less hassle ), you can use Custom Firmware,on the other hand , New Bootrom must use Stock Apple FW to restore.
    There are alot of people trying to get rid of their Iphones because, they don't have 3.1.2 shsh on file with Cydia, you will eventually have a problem in future reqarding unlock.

New Iphone which has not been jailbroken will not have any Shsh on file too eventhough they are at 3.1.2 and is unlocked. Without 3.1.2 shsh file, there is no way of restoring again to the same version again and therefore you are forced to go to 3.1.3 and render your Iphone useless...(3GS issues only)
    so to get you right the shsh file on cydia is only for the 3GS and if i have a 3G right now on 3.1.2 i can always shift-restore in itunes to a custom or stock firmware. without haveing to update firmware or baseband.
    2010-05-31 06:55 PM
    You can always shift/restore to a custom firmware yes, but no...you cannot let the baseband be updated! There are very few 3G phones that can revert to an unlockable baseband if it gets accidentally updated.
    2010-05-31 07:19 PM
    sorry to be picky but a little confused about "but no...you cannot let the baseband be updated!" its kind of a double negative so not sure what your meaning is...my understanding is i can direct itunes to a custom firmware with 3.1.2 and 05.11.07? right
    2010-05-31 07:45 PM
    sorry to be picky but a little confused about "but no...you cannot let the baseband be updated!" its kind of a double negative so not sure what your meaning is...my understanding is i can direct itunes to a custom firmware with 3.1.2 and 05.11.07? right
    3G can always accept custom firmware as long as it is jailbroken prior to restoring to CFW. CFw will not update BB. What Captain Chaos was trying to say if you restore with Apple Stock Firmware to a higher version, both FW and BB will be updated, the FW can be downgraded but not the BB cannot be downgraded unless you have a Bootloader of 5.08. So just stick to Custom FW on 3G, you will always be unlocked.
    2010-05-31 08:07 PM
    alright. ill stay away from the stock firmware and and just use customs thanks.
    2010-05-31 08:10 PM
    You could very well wait till the new unlock is released. Within the time span of the unlock being released and (I'll estimate) a couple weeks thereafter, any iPhone (3G or 3GS) can be unlocked. Assuming that the unlock was released for the new baseband and not 5.12.01.

You're looking at about 2-4 weeks from now. Or less

That's when I plan to upgrade my 3G to either the 4G or the 3GS.
    2010-06-01 12:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD