First, some basics about the device. It's a 3gs, bootrom version 359.3, running 3.1.2 and unlocked using blackrain and blacksnow, currently bricked on Apple logo, no SHSH's on file.

First off which bootrom versions are able to do this? According to the system profiler on my powerbook I have iBoot version 359.3. I've searched for this but I only see people refer to new vs. old bootroms, never by number.

2nd, if I have the old bootrom I'm able to restore from itunes with a custom firmware that updates the OS to 3.1.3 but leaves out the baseband update, preserving my ability to unlock. Correct? Who's tools would I use for this and is the unlock coded into the IPSW file or will I have to unlock it again and if so, with what?

I know all this info is out there and I've read a bunch of it but I just want to make sure I have it absolutely right before I screw my phone up.

Just wanted to update this. Since my phone was bricked anyway and the new unlock is supposed to be out soon I decided to give it a try. Worked perfectly. It's good to have my baby back
    Last edited by Fastfirward; 2010-06-05 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-06-05 09:30 PM
    First, some basics about the device. It's a 3gs, bootrom version 359.3, running 3.1.2 and unlocked using blackrain and blacksnow, currently bricked on Apple logo, no SHSH's on file.

First off which bootrom versions are able to do this? According to the system profiler on my powerbook I have iBoot version 359.3. I've searched for this but I only see people refer to new vs. old bootroms, never by number.

2nd, if I have the old bootrom I'm able to restore from itunes with a custom firmware that updates the OS to 3.1.3 but leaves out the baseband update, preserving my ability to unlock. Correct? Who's tools would I use for this and is the unlock coded into the IPSW file or will I have to unlock it again and if so, with what?

I know all this info is out there and I've read a bunch of it but I just want to make sure I have it absolutely right before I screw my phone up.

Just wanted to update this. Since my phone was bricked anyway and the new unlock is supposed to be out soon I decided to give it a try. Worked perfectly. It's good to have my baby back
    You have the oldbootrom which givees you the ability to use Custom firmware, it all depends if you have a mac : use pwnage tools 3.1.5 to create one, if you use a PC : SnowBreeze 1.5.2 will also create the CFW of 3.1.3. When you are done creating, do a restore to CFW, you might end up in a recovery loop ( use either IREB or Quickpwn22.1 to get out ) then unlock with your current BB which uses Blacksn0wRC2 ( add this repo to your Cydia source > cydia.pushfix.info ). You should have your Iphone get going again.... you will be saying weeeeeeeeee....just to cheer you up...LOL
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-06-06 at 02:58 AM.
    2010-06-06 02:48 AM
    I'd actually given it a shot and already had it back up and running. Thanks for the cheer though.
    2010-06-06 03:44 AM
    I'd actually given it a shot and already had it back up and running. Thanks for the cheer though.
    How did you do it ? did you restore from DFU or RECOVERY MODE ?
    2010-06-06 04:02 AM
    How did you do it ? did you restore from DFU or RECOVERY MODE ?
    From recovery mode. I tried DFU mode on OS X, XP, Vista 32, and Windows 7 64 with varying versions of iTunes and got the 1600 error every time.

I finally got it into restore mode, not by any normal methods, but by holding the home and power button for 30+ seconds. I ran across that nugget as a suggestion for forcing restore mode on an iPad actually.

My first attempt in recovery mode on Windows 7 errored out (13 I think) so I tried it on XP and it went through without a hitch.
    2010-06-06 04:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD