ok, I jailbroke my iTouch fine but I'm still a newb with this stuff.

A friend of mine is getting the new iPhone and says he'll give me his old 2G.

The question is, what can I do with it? I have Verizon service right now. Can I jailbreak and unlock his 2G and use it with my Verizon service?

I have unlimited data on my plan, will I be able to surf the web?

The details of how can come later, right now I just want to know what's possible to do.
    All that Evil needs to succeed is for Good to do nothing
    2010-06-12 01:11 AM
    Nope, can't use it for Verizon, it's a cdma network. You could use it with T-Mobile in the States.
    2010-06-12 01:17 AM
    could I use it as basically an upgrade to my iTouch?
    2010-06-12 01:30 AM
    Your touch is more powerful than the 2G phone That would be taking a step backwards.
    2010-06-12 01:56 AM
    really?? my 1st Gen 8mb iTouch is more powerful?
    2010-06-12 02:06 AM
    Your touch is more powerful than the 2G phone That would be taking a step backwards.
    Captain Chaos, you are scaring her away from the Iphone 2G, I think the 1st Gen Ipod Touch and the 1st Gen Iphone which is also called the 2G has the same processor and same 128 mb of RAM. They both perform the same in performance wise...

really?? my 1st Gen 8mb iTouch is more powerful?
    You can unlock it an use on T-mobile prepaid or when you go overseas, you can pop in any GSM card to use locally there. Verizon phone uses CDMA which is the older Technology and is long gone in Asia because of the vulnerability of having the line being used by another person. ..enjoy your new Iphone (eventhough it is a 2G and is free, why not) , by the way if you don't want it, you can mail it to me...hehe..
    Last edited by iYeow; 2010-06-12 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-06-12 05:39 AM
    Sorry I was on my mobile phone and it doesn't show that she has the 1st gen. I didn't know people still had those
    2010-06-12 06:52 AM
    so... this situation is now coming to pass and I'll be getting my hands on this phone. Now the question remains, can I jailbreak this and use it without a phone account of any sort?
    2010-08-12 10:53 PM
    Are you getting the phone for free?if so then damn you should sell that for $170 and your iPod Touch for $120, take your $290 and buy a newer model of the iPod Touch since you cant use the phone functions at all, being on Verizon and whatnot

iPod Touch 2G that I have runs so much faster than my iPhone 3G... Kind of sad to think about actually :P

Then again maybe you should just keep the phone to use as an iPod+camera+vid recorder...
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-08-13 at 05:33 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-08-13 05:33 AM
    *sigh*

why does everyone keeps telling me what I *should* do with my stuff instead of answering my question.

Nevermind, I'll just try to jailbreak it and see what happens
    2010-08-16 09:20 PM
    Yes you can use it without a phone plan, just jailbreak with redsn0w or jailbreakme.com and you pretty much have something just like your ipod touch 1G with the extra bonus of a camera and microphone (which you can still use to make calls with skype/fring).
    2010-08-16 09:27 PM
    *sigh*

why does everyone keeps telling me what I *should* do with my stuff instead of answering my question.

Nevermind, I'll just try to jailbreak it and see what happens
    Cuz its called helping. It benefits you. But if you dont want the additional information as to what is good, what is bad, what is better, or what is worse, then fine

Here's all you can do. You can jailbreak the phone and use it as an iPod Touch. Just like everyone else has already said.
    2010-08-16 10:15 PM
    You can JB it, then UL it, then buy a prepay gsm sim card from whatever carrier sells'em = Profit! Actually, with the wi-fi feature, you now have a hand-held computer...scan for a wi-fi source wherever you go and log on to the net...get apps from cydia/rock/appstore(with acct.), and go nuts on that lil sucker! Have fun with your new toy. The possibilities are almost endless.
    Rules one and two ALWAYS in effect.
    2010-09-18 12:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD