Hi

I have a question, but I need to set it up first so please bare with me

I am in New Zealand, I have a mate bringing me an unlocked iPhone 4 from the UK next week.

My question is... does anyone know if I will be able to activate it with a NZ sim or does it need a UK sim for that first activation and then I can use any sim?

The reason why I ask is that I was in Australia a few months ago and had to restore my NZ unlocked iPhone. When I restored it with my Australian sim in it, it would not activate. I had to put my NZ sim in it to activate and only then could I use my Oz sim again.

Has anyone else had experiences like this, was it a fluke? Should I get my mate to have the Apple store activate the phone before he brings it?

Then I had an idea what maybe the phone gets activated with the first sim you put in it, so maybe getting it activated in the UK will mean I will have to have a UK sim every time I want to restore or update in order to activate?

I know there is a fair bit of guess work going on here, so if anyone can shed some light on the subject with their experiences, I would be most grateful

Thanks
    Muttys
    2010-06-24 07:56 AM
    Hi

I have a question, but I need to set it up first so please bare with me

I am in New Zealand, I have a mate bringing me an unlocked iPhone 4 from the UK next week.

My question is... does anyone know if I will be able to activate it with a NZ sim or does it need a UK sim for that first activation and then I can use any sim?

The reason why I ask is that I was in Australia a few months ago and had to restore my NZ unlocked iPhone. When I restored it with my Australian sim in it, it would not activate. I had to put my NZ sim in it to activate and only then could I use my Oz sim again.

Has anyone else had experiences like this, was it a fluke? Should I get my mate to have the Apple store activate the phone before he brings it?

Then I had an idea what maybe the phone gets activated with the first sim you put in it, so maybe getting it activated in the UK will mean I will have to have a UK sim every time I want to restore or update in order to activate?

I know there is a fair bit of guess work going on here, so if anyone can shed some light on the subject with their experiences, I would be most grateful

Thanks
    Muttys
    You should have it activated first, then your Iphone won't be asking you every few minutes " waiting for activation". Make sure he buys a sim card from the carrier, in case you need to trigger it from Emergency Screen to Home Scree. If there is a jailbreaking tool that hactivates it , then you don't need it. It is always good to keep your official sim card eventhough there is no service, it will still do the trick.
    Everytime when you do a restore, you will need the card.
    Hope this answer your question.
    2010-06-24 08:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD