I bought a 3G from a buddy who got the new iPhone and I want to give it to my girlfriend. She already has her own iTunes and iPod on her Mac. She's not the most technical person so I took the phone and upgraded it to 4.0 iOS then ran redsn0w and ultrasn0w to JB/UL it on my PC using my iTunes.

A: I want to take it back down to 3.1.3 because it's laggy now. What's the best method here?
    B: I want to JB/UL it on my PC but not "lock" it to my iTunes so she can hook it up to her iTunes and just set it up but not actually lose the JB/UL. Is this possible?
    C: I have upgraded to a 3GS from my 2G and will plan on selling the 2G. Kinda relates to A:, but how do I remove everything from my old phone, JB/UL it and sell it without my information on there?

I greatly appreciate all the help.
    Last edited by Toxis; 2010-07-01 at 08:30 AM.
    2010-07-01 08:18 AM
    Create a custom firmware of 3.1.3 from either SnowBreeze or Pwnage tools
    and then do a Shift + Restore and browse to the cfw you created on your desktop. Then unlock with Ultrasn0w from Cydia.
    Syncing the Iphone to your Itunes will not affect the JL + UL
    When she gets the Iphone she can just sync it to her Iphone and the stuffs like music , photos , etc will be erased and synced whatever that is on her Itunes.
    2010-07-01 08:30 AM
    OK, so the fact that right now when I go into the App store, it asks for the password to my account isn't a big deal? It'll change when synced to the new iTunes computer?
    2010-07-01 09:31 AM
    I know what you mean about your email account being on the iphone, when she synced with her itunes, visiting app store and purchasing apps, it will ask if you want existing or new logins
    2010-07-01 09:00 PM
    Alright, apparently problems ALWAYS arise when I try any of the JB/UL processes. Here's where I'm at now.

iPhone 3g A: It took forever but I finally got a custom made sn0wbreeze 3.1.3 loaded onto the phone. When I went into Cydia to run blacksn0w, it said there was 7 other critical upgrades needed. I had it do all 7 along with blacksn0w and then it locked up on the loading screen. Even the spinning wheel stopped. It stayed lit up for minutes with no action. Probably a bad move but I rebooted the phone and now it won't go past the sn0wbreeze logo. Won't go dim, won't do anything. It flickered to a black screen once but it just sits on the snow flake now. I can power it down but then it doesn't go past the snowflake again. Just sits there. What to do?

iPhone 3g B: On this phone, I put it into recovery mode and it goes black. iTunes keeps coming back with a 1602 error. I googled it and downloaded iREB to fix it. Well, even that won't do anything. It's supposed to go to a white screen but nothing. Black screen. If I reboot it, it just loads as normal and lets me into the apps like nothing happened. How do I go into recovery mode so it gives me the USB cord to the iTunes logo? I've done a log of Googling and haven't come up with a working option yet. I tried holding the home button, plug in the cord, iTunes comes up saying recovery mode and the logo should appear but doesn't. If I hold the power button, it just reloads and is out of DFU. What am I doing retarded?

iPhone 3gs: I got this phone recently and seeing one of the 3g's will be the girl's and the other will be sold, I want to use this as my phone. It was already updated to 4.0 by the previous owner. When I try to run redsn0w on the 4.0 file I downloaded (which was from Apple directly for the 3gs, iPhone2,1_4.0_8A293_Restore), it comes back saying it cannot recognize the specified ipsw. I restored the phone via iTunes to the downloaded ipsw that was already downloaded hoping redsn0w would then realize it is the same ipsw to no avail. so again, what am I doing retarded?
    Last edited by Toxis; 2010-07-02 at 10:48 AM.
    2010-07-02 10:12 AM
    3G: install Ultrasnow after cydia update . You have to restore to snowbreeze 3.1.3 again.
    3GS: you can't jailbreak when you are at official 4.0.
    2010-07-02 10:51 AM
    3G: On one phone, I can't even update it. It goes into recovery mode but the screen is black and iTunes comes up with a 1602 error. I try running iREB and it still doesn't help. Black screen and won't go anywhere.

3G: On the other phone, it is stuck on the snowflake load from sn0wbreeze 3.1.3. So how do I install something when even iTunes won't recognize a phone is connected?

3GS: Can't JB 4.0? I'll research to see if I can downgrade the bootrom (the current bootrom is unknown at this point) but I've read many places saying you can JB 4.0... I'm only a 3gs, not a new iPhone4. Or even if I'm on the new bootrom, can I downgrade back to 3.1.3? I'm fine with not having 4.0 yet.
    Last edited by Toxis; 2010-07-02 at 06:14 PM.
    2010-07-02 06:09 PM
    On the 3G, why can't you restore to stock 3.1.2 or 3.1.3, no shsh is needed. You should be able to.

On the 3GS, this newbootrom, if you have 3.1.3 shsh, then you can downgrade to 3.1.3 but there is going to be alot of work to do that. You can do more research on this forum. I have written some instructions somewhere and I am not going to repeat it.
    2010-07-02 09:39 PM
    3G: On one phone, I can't even update it. It goes into recovery mode but the screen is black and iTunes comes up with a 1602 error. I try running iREB and it still doesn't help. Black screen and won't go anywhere.

3G: On the other phone, it is stuck on the snowflake load from sn0wbreeze 3.1.3. So how do I install something when even iTunes won't recognize a phone is connected?

3GS: Can't JB 4.0? I'll research to see if I can downgrade the bootrom (the current bootrom is unknown at this point) but I've read many places saying you can JB 4.0... I'm only a 3gs, not a new iPhone4. Or even if I'm on the new bootrom, can I downgrade back to 3.1.3? I'm fine with not having 4.0 yet.
    I'll search the forum to see if I can find that write up no downgrading but didn't see anything last night... but it was late and I probably wasn't thinking clearly.

As for the 3G, read above. one is stuck and won't do anything, the other won't get past the black screen after going to recovery. Can't upgrade, downgrade, sideways step, jump up or fall down... lol
    2010-07-02 11:54 PM
    Alright, do a hard reset to turn it off. This is done by holding both the power and home button. Once it is off, while holding the Home button, plug your Iphone into the pc, wait until the Itunes Cable logo comes out and then try the restore again.
    2010-07-03 12:41 AM
    It took another great deal of reading, trying, reading again, trying something else... but I finally have the two 3g's running correctly. Funny how things are said differently on websites and that makes all the difference. Regardless, they're running!

As for the 3gs, like I said I bought it from a guy who already upgraded it to 4.0 on his AT&T account then sold it to me which I want to JB/UL for Tmobile. So I'm guessing I should just wait for someone to come out with a way to do this as the SHSH (had to learn what that meant lol) would've been upgraded already? Is there any way I can get the SHSH from someone else's iPhone on 3.1.3 to use for my phone? Or use that and then JB/UL 4.0 using that SHSH (or however you want to word that)?

yeow, I honestly appreciate all the help. It's been very helpful but at the same time made me research to learn myself which is what I almost prefer but just don't know what to research. Thank you.
    2010-07-03 08:18 AM
    Does anyone have experience with these "Guaranteed to Unlock any iPhone for $29.95" sites? It seems like there's a lot of issues out there with the 3gs if it's already been upgraded to 4.0 if you didn't save the SHSH files (which I didn't as the previous owner upgraded, not I). So are these sites a joke? Are they legit? I am reallllly wanting to get my 3gs up and running on my Tmobile account but.... It doesn't have to be on 4.0 either. I'd be happy with 3.1.2 or .3... thoughts? Suggestions? Ramblings?
    Last edited by Toxis; 2010-07-15 at 09:37 AM.
    2010-07-15 09:32 AM
    I wouldn't waste your time with these other companies, they just use the same tools which are available free by the dev team.

You're still stuck on 4.0 for now. Keep being patient, just what you need will be released before you know it....
    2010-07-15 11:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD