I don't remember saying anything about checking the 3rd and 4th digits of anything.

Check who said what before responding. Also, it's common sense to take caution and have a back up. We dont need to spell everything out. If thats the case why not tell OP that he should not take his mouse, guide it to the "upgrade" button, and left click it. If OP was cautious enough to ask us first before moving on like a lot of people do, he has enough common sense to know SHSH files should be backed up. Owners of a jailbroken 3GS who don't know what SHSH files are should think about using another phone cuz that's basic knowledge if you enjoy jailbreaks and unlocks.

In regards to the topic at hand, if the phone has the old boot you can either stay and play it safe or safely upgrade to 4.0 and still be able to jailbreak and unlock. It's down to choice now. With the new boot it's a no brainer to stay on 3.x.

Make sure the SHSH files are backed up via TinyUmbrella and/or Cydia. If no SHSH files can be backed up under 4.0 then stay where it is or risk upgrading and not being able to downgrade again. Remember, this is for old bootrom phones only.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-07-23 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-07-23 09:10 PM
    I don't remember saying anything about checking the 3rd and 4th digits of anything.

Check who said what before responding. Also, it's common sense to take caution and have a back up. We dont need to spell everything out. If thats the case why not tell OP that he should not take his mouse, guide it to the "upgrade" button, and left click it. If OP was cautious enough to ask us first before moving on like a lot of people do, he has enough common sense to know SHSH files should be backed up. Owners of a jailbroken 3GS who don't know what SHSH files are should think about using another phone cuz that's basic knowledge if you enjoy jailbreaks and unlocks.
    You said he was getting good advice from Yeow202. He told him to check the 4 and 5th digits and if they were less than or equal to 40 he had the old bootrom. That is just wrong on a number of levels.
    Going forward from there that is an assumption that he has the old bootrom and set him on a course which could be destructive. Secondly Sn0wBreeze is not a good tool and has a lot of problems with it. Thirdly someone needed to save the Thread starter from ending up like lots of others with having to restore to stock 4.0.1 and using his phone as an Ipod since he needs the unlock.
    Last edited by nebo1ss; 2010-07-23 at 09:15 PM.
    2010-07-23 09:12 PM
    Then perhaps kindly recommending a separate method of identifying the bootrom could be provided.

Sn0wbreeze has been updated, it isnt as problematic as it was before. Not much damage can be done considering most problems caused are the inability to create the cfw or start the restore process on the cfw.

Ill agree with you that some things said here arent 100% fool proof, but I really dont think "bad advice" is really the word for it.

How to Check iPhone 3GS New Bootrom / Old Bootrom (iBoot) Version | Redmond Pie

Link to how to check boot version.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-07-23 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-07-23 09:23 PM
    Then perhaps kindly recommending a separate method of identifying the bootrom could be provided.

Sn0wbreeze has been updated, it isnt as problematic as it was before. Not much damage can be done considering most problems caused are the inability to create the cfw or start the restore process on the cfw.

Ill agree with you that some things said here arent 100% fool proof, but I really dont think "bad advice" is really the word for it.
    There is a simple tutorial here that tells you how the check the bootrom version.
    iClarified - iPhone - How to Check the Bootrom Version of Your iPhone (Mac)
    2010-07-23 09:26 PM
24 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD