Hi all,

I have done my research unlike many that post here so appreciate all knowledgeable experts who can help out.

I have an iPhone 3GS new bootrom bought from Apple USA and not AT&T. It has 3.1.3 so unfortunately hactivation is not available to me.

That being said, I have used 2 original but dead AT&T sim cards but whenever I try to complete activation (after putting in last four of social and zip) it gives me message "iphone activation are unavailable at this time. new activations are not available at this time".

I read somewhere that the iPhones bought direct from AT&T would
    1) Not ask for the last 4 of social and zip
    2) And activates without any information required when AT&T sims popped into it.

Can anymore help me with this? As the upcoming jailbreak for 4.0 would be userland, am I so out of luck? I do not have 3.1.2 SHSH unfortunately =(
    2010-07-21 04:00 AM
    Hi all,

I have done my research unlike many that post here so appreciate all knowledgeable experts who can help out.

I have an iPhone 3GS new bootrom bought from Apple USA and not AT&T. It has 3.1.3 so unfortunately hactivation is not available to me.

That being said, I have used 2 original but dead AT&T sim cards but whenever I try to complete activation (after putting in last four of social and zip) it gives me message "iphone activation are unavailable at this time. new activations are not available at this time".

I read somewhere that the iPhones bought direct from AT&T would
    1) Not ask for the last 4 of social and zip
    2) And activates without any information required when AT&T sims popped into it.

Can anymore help me with this? As the upcoming jailbreak for 4.0 would be userland, am I so out of luck? I do not have 3.1.2 SHSH unfortunately =(
    Go get a phonebook sim card from Radio Shack, it will activate all 3G and 3GS for you. A phonebook sim card is where you store all your contacts and to transfer your contacts onto phone. It only costs you a few bucks.
    2010-07-21 04:55 AM
    This may work, enen though you have original sim, i'm not sure if we're allowed to post outside links but go to youtube and search "iPhone Activation without original sim -)" or "iPhone Activation without original sim (HD)" exactly like that and follow the video it worked for me!
    2010-07-21 05:57 AM
    Go get a phonebook sim card from Radio Shack, it will activate all 3G and 3GS for you. A phonebook sim card is where you store all your contacts and to transfer your contacts onto phone. It only costs you a few bucks.
    If this phone which is locked to AT&T wouldn't even allow activation by an AT&T Sim, would a phonebook SIM card do much better?

As mentioned before, this phone was not purchased directly from AT&T but from Apple. Unlike AT&T purchased phones, these direct ones from Apple prompts for

1) last 4 of social of original buyer
    2) zip code

Does anyone know if this info is hard-coded in phone? Currently, I used the original SIM card which came with phone. If I used a generic AT&T Sim (which does not have a telephone number/ account coded to it), would it allow me to fill in any social security, thereby allowing me to activate it?

My thinking is this: if the phone to tied to a specific AT&T account on the phone, using a generic AT&T sim or a phonebook sim card is useless.

Can somebody who bought their 3GS new bootrom from Apple directly instead of AT&T comment on this? whether a generic AT&T sim would work? cheers
    2010-07-22 03:08 AM
    It seems like the phone is not unlocked or activated. If you just bought the phone you can "activate" it by sticking in an unlock sim card for it. This will allow you to get passed the iTunes screen on the iPhone. But...if you can already access the features of the phone, except the dialer, then it is already activated and you just need to register it with a phone company. My advice: if you are on 3.1.3 and have access to the features of the phone download spirit and jailbreak it. Once it is jailbroken you can unlock it using Ultrasnow. Next all you have to do get a SIM card from a carrier and pop that puppy in. Do NOT use the AT&T SIM as they are deactivated use an actual SIM from your regular carrier that is active. Hope this helps and good luck.
    2010-07-22 05:49 AM
    It seems like the phone is not unlocked or activated. If you just bought the phone you can "activate" it by sticking in an unlock sim card for it. This will allow you to get passed the iTunes screen on the iPhone. But...if you can already access the features of the phone, except the dialer, then it is already activated and you just need to register it with a phone company. My advice: if you are on 3.1.3 and have access to the features of the phone download spirit and jailbreak it. Once it is jailbroken you can unlock it using Ultrasnow. Next all you have to do get a SIM card from a carrier and pop that puppy in. Do NOT use the AT&T SIM as they are deactivated use an actual SIM from your regular carrier that is active. Hope this helps and good luck.
    this phone is not activated or unlocked. as mentioned before,

1) im trying to get this activated
    2) activation is not working with at&t sim despite the fact that this is bought in USA
    3) im wondering if number 2 is due to me buying thru apple and not at&t due to reasons in last post.
    4) im also wondering if the phonebook method would not work due to the same reasons in last post
    2010-07-22 05:52 AM
    Three questions for you.

1) Can you access the home screen in the iPhone or are you stuck on the emergency call screen?

2) What country are you in?

3) What is your carrier?

Answer those three questions and we can go from there.
    2010-07-22 06:08 AM
    this phone is not activated or unlocked. as mentioned before,

1) im trying to get this activated
    2) activation is not working with at&t sim despite the fact that this is bought in USA
    3) im wondering if number 2 is due to me buying thru apple and not at&t due to reasons in last post.
    4) im also wondering if the phonebook method would not work due to the same reasons in last post
    Read this :
    http://modmyi.com/forums/iphone-news...-sim-card.html

You bought the iphone in US doesn't mean it is from the States, unless you bought it at Apple Store USA.
    2010-07-22 06:13 AM
    Read this :
    http://modmyi.com/forums/iphone-news...-sim-card.html

You bought the iphone in US doesn't mean it is from the States, unless you bought it at Apple Store USA.
    hi all, sorry i did not clarify. i bought this phone from apple.com USA and it was shipped from apple USA. therefore it is a phone bought from apple directly
    2010-07-22 03:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD