Bought the phone second hand and it was unlocked. Without thinking I restored factory settings which of course locked it up again. Was able to get it unlocked and working fine until... the battery went flat and when recharged all I got was a flashing apple. Was able to get it unlocked again but there is no network and no wifi. Apparently I need wifi in order to install the software that will fully unlock it again. Have spoken to apple who told me to speak to AT&T but I have been told that they WILL NOT unlock their iphones. I live in Australia so obviously need to use a local carrier. Would purchasing an AT&T sim card allow me to unlock the phone and activate wifi - then to be able to download unlock software via cydia!? So confused... this is all very new to me... any thoughts?

Thanks!!!

It's a 3G currently running on 4.0.1 - have tried all previous software versions and still the same problem. Have restored and restored network settings... still nothing.
    Last edited by b.lara; 2010-07-21 at 10:17 AM.
    2010-07-21 08:54 AM
    How to Jailbreak 4.0 iPhone 3G/iPod Touch 2g on OS X/Windows
    Have they released the jailbreak in the app store yet?
    2010-07-22 01:26 AM
    Bought the phone second hand and it was unlocked. Without thinking I restored factory settings which of course locked it up again. Was able to get it unlocked and working fine until... the battery went flat and when recharged all I got was a flashing apple. Was able to get it unlocked again but there is no network and no wifi. Apparently I need wifi in order to install the software that will fully unlock it again. Have spoken to apple who told me to speak to AT&T but I have been told that they WILL NOT unlock their iphones. I live in Australia so obviously need to use a local carrier. Would purchasing an AT&T sim card allow me to unlock the phone and activate wifi - then to be able to download unlock software via cydia!? So confused... this is all very new to me... any thoughts?

Thanks!!!

It's a 3G currently running on 4.0.1 - have tried all previous software versions and still the same problem. Have restored and restored network settings... still nothing.
    If you saved the shsh files you can downgrade to 3.1.3 and unlock. If not then the phone will remain locked until the jailbreak comes out for 4.0.1.

(Hit the thanks button if this helps)
    Give me some free... Free! Which way is to... Give me some free...
    2010-07-22 04:31 PM
    If you saved the shsh files you can downgrade to 3.1.3 and unlock. If not then the phone will remain locked until the jailbreak comes out for 4.0.1.

They have a 3g not a 3gs so shsh blobs don't matter unless they are trying to downgrade to 4.0. They can go to any of the 3.xx firmwares without shsh
    Have they released the jailbreak in the app store yet?
    2010-07-22 11:39 PM
    have tried downgrading to all the previous software versions but have the same problem - no service and no wifi
    2010-07-23 10:14 AM

You need to read and learn more before giving bad advise. Only 3GS using SHSH to restore you can always restore a 3G.

have tried downgrading to all the previous software versions but have the same problem - no service and no wifi
    You probably have an activation problem. Do you know which carrier the phone is originally from. You need to Hactivate the phone if you do not have the original carrier SIM. You can jailbreak and Hactivate with Redsn0w. Search Iclarify for tutorial. Until the phone is activated then nothing works and you should be stuck on a screen saying plug it into Itunes.
    If you are getting as far as the Screen with Icons then the phone is activated and something else is wrong. The 3G is notorious for having WIFI problems if you manage to get the phone JB and the WiFi is still not working and you want to unlock but cannot get to Cydia on WiFi there is a desktop version that allows you to get to Ultrasn0w google "CYDER"
    Last edited by nebo1ss; 2010-07-23 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-07-23 04:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD