Hey all - hopefully this is a simple question with a simple answer:

I just purchased a iPhone 3GS off of Craigslist with iOS 4.0. I know I can't unlock it - but I want to at least check out the camera/Wifi antenna/etc before the official 4.0 JB is released. If I was to purchase an unactivated AT&T SIM Card off of Amazon, would I be able to use it to unlock the phone, or would I need the original owner's personal information?

From what I've seen on the Phonebook SIM Unlocking thread - it looks like it'll work on the 3GS, but not the iPhone 4 which requires the original SIM?

If it helps at all, I know the guy I bought the phone from was using AT&T, and this is the unactivated SIM I want to purchase: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Sim-Card-SKU-71234-Unactivated/dp/B001ONWGMC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1280494824&sr =8-1]Amazon.com: AT&T Sim Card SKU 71234 - Brand New Unactivated: Everything Else[/ame]

Thanks!
    2010-07-30 03:01 PM
    Hey all - hopefully this is a simple question with a simple answer:

I just purchased a iPhone 3GS off of Craigslist with iOS 4.0. I know I can't unlock it - but I want to at least check out the camera/Wifi antenna/etc before the official 4.0 JB is released. If I was to purchase an unactivated AT&T SIM Card off of Amazon, would I be able to use it to unlock the phone, or would I need the original owner's personal information?

From what I've seen on the Phonebook SIM Unlocking thread - it looks like it'll work on the 3GS, but not the iPhone 4 which requires the original SIM?

If it helps at all, I know the guy I bought the phone from was using AT&T, and this is the unactivated SIM I want to purchase: Amazon.com: AT&T Sim Card SKU 71234 - Brand New Unactivated: Everything Else

Thanks!
    Yes, it will. It can used to trigger your Iphone into Home Screen and not activated (Unactivated Sim Card) and will not unlock it for you. You will get the waiting for activation message every few minutes though.
    2010-07-30 09:23 PM
    another way is to go rAdio shack and purchase a phonebook sim (a sim to transfer contacts to anothet phone) tht also can activatee the iphone
    2010-07-30 10:41 PM
    Download tinyumbrella to see if the iphone was previously jailbroken. You may get lucky and have shsh blobs saved for it in Cydia. If you have the saved shsh blobs, you can downgrade the unit and get it jailbroken and then upgrade it to 4.0 jailbroken and then unlock it. Hope you are lucky.
    2010-08-01 04:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD