I'm sure if you roam on another carriers service your FaceTime would get activated. Only way to find out would be to go out of the country. I have read some people that got unlocked phones from EU are able to use face time on TMobile us.
    2010-08-05 03:54 AM
    nearly spending $1000 on a factory unlocked iphone, then have to travel out of the country to get a feature activated doesnt seem to convenient

It just shows how much Apple is a Tryrant
    2010-08-05 04:07 AM
    I paid $700 for mine, and its LOCKED to AT&T!!!!

Whatever the reason for the facetime fault is, it will be solved at some point in the future- until then, download fring and or knock video (both free from the app store) and use those.

I'm anxious too, and I know its something that can be fixed.... but wadda gonna do?!
    2010-08-05 06:38 AM
    I paid $700 for mine, and its LOCKED to AT&T!!!!

Whatever the reason for the facetime fault is, it will be solved at some point in the future- until then, download fring and or knock video (both free from the app store) and use those.

I'm anxious too, and I know its something that can be fixed.... but wadda gonna do?!
    Don't count on it being something That can be fixed.

I've already made an attempt at trying to "spoof" the information.

The commcenter can't be "hacked" as one would say to artficially activate FaceTime. As apple NEEDS your info in order for FaceTime to work. Apple says it is done completely over wifi which is true but the initial call is done through your cell number. Which is why it is needed to send a text message.

From going through system files this is what I understand how FaceTime works.

Your phone sends apple a text to a number that handles FaceTime activation. this number varies if your in the US or international.

This number needs to be recorded in apples filesystem so You can initiate a call with another user who is also registered in the system. That is why you can't just spoof this information.

Only way this would work is if you travel out of country where the roaming carrier supports FaceTime and activate that way or someone creates a replica server like apples and do it that way, Then the commcenter can be patched to send the activation to the replica server. Just like Sauriks replica shsh signing server. If it was done this way it would be really slow because imagine how many people would be on it. It would also be very expensive for the person replicated the server.
    Last edited by Apple.; 2010-08-05 at 07:44 AM.
    2010-08-05 07:37 AM
    I'm not sure why, but I have a FaceTime working now when I call people and over 3G as well, but in the Settings it's still says "Waiting for Activation".
    I did nothing at all to fix this so I guess this doesn't help much.
    2010-08-05 08:24 AM
    I'm not sure why, but I have a FaceTime working now when I call people and over 3G as well, but in the Settings it's still says "Waiting for Activation".
    you're on Tmobile?
    2010-08-05 08:26 AM
    following these directions I can fix the waiting for activation.
    But i still can't facetime w/ anyone. the icon under their contacts or during a call wont even show.

How To: Fix iPhone 4 FaceTime ‘Waiting For Activation’ | iPhone in Canada Blog - Canada's #1 iPhone Resource

T-mobile, 4.0.1 iphone 4, 32gb.
    2010-08-05 08:42 AM
    following these directions I can fix the waiting for activation.
    But i still can't facetime w/ anyone. the icon under their contacts or during a call wont even show.

How To: Fix iPhone 4 FaceTime ‘Waiting For Activation’ | iPhone in Canada Blog - Canada's #1 iPhone Resource

T-mobile, 4.0.1 iphone 4, 32gb.
    no dice... did you do some kind of mms hack to enable it (mms)?

btw - what does everyone see for CARRIER under SETTINGS -> GENERAL -> ABOUT -> CARRIER ? mine says CARRIER 7.0

maybe ultrasnow is somehow voiding updaing the carrier update or whatever? can anyone with a factory unlock verify what the CARRIER says?

Link below is pointing to a Canadian carrier and going to version 7.2 and I think the above was pointing that out to.... maybe 7.0 limits certain binary characters or data to go on SMS/MMS?

http://www.tipb.com/2010/08/02/fix-f...rror-iphone-4/
    Last edited by realjaja; 2010-08-05 at 09:05 AM.
    2010-08-05 08:54 AM
    if you could you send me your carrier.plist file?

im trying to come up with a fix
    2010-08-05 09:19 AM
    if you could you send me your carrier.plist file?

im trying to come up with a fix
    Hi
    I'm at Orange - Israel, I have no problem sending you the carrier.plist if you need it.
    Let me know.
    2010-08-05 10:31 AM
    I called Tmobile since I am convinced it's them . The rep I spoke to said apple has released exclusivity of the iPhone but the real questions I ask were about mms and SMS and were there any usually charges or international numbers. Basicly my thought is we need an international Tmobile sim to hack the USA one
    2010-08-05 12:58 PM
    I called Tmobile since I am convinced it's them . The rep I spoke to said apple has released exclusivity of the iPhone but the real questions I ask were about mms and SMS and were there any usually charges or international numbers. Basicly my thought is we need an international Tmobile sim to hack the USA one
    It wouldnt matter what sim you use to "hacktivate" your iPhone 4 because as soon as that sim gets taken out of the phone, you have to reactivate FaceTime, As FaceTime is number specific. Meaning your number is tied to FaceTime. When another iphone calls you with FaceTime, They are calling your cell number and when the call connects, it switches to WiFi Facetime,

When Apple said FaceTime was WiFi only, it is not. I've been charged $10 in the last 24 hours just because the FaceTime option was set to "On" in the settings while it Said "Waiting for Activation" and it still is saying that.

The phone constantly keeps trying to send a text to an international number to try and activate facetime. I believe the SMS to the number stops once FaceTime is activated however i may be wrong.

This FaceTime issue could have easily been avoided if they just did a user based system. Then we wouldnt have to go through this "activating" dilemma. Just simply create an account and chat. Kind of like iChat and MobileMe?

ok im trying my best to get a FaceTime fix going.

I have a Prepaid Sim card and i need someone from the UK to send me a text message, to see if i can even receive messages from the UK
    Last edited by Apple.; 2010-08-05 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-08-05 01:53 PM
    no dice... did you do some kind of mms hack to enable it (mms)?

btw - what does everyone see for CARRIER under SETTINGS -> GENERAL -> ABOUT -> CARRIER ? mine says CARRIER 7.0

maybe ultrasnow is somehow voiding updaing the carrier update or whatever? can anyone with a factory unlock verify what the CARRIER says?

Link below is pointing to a Canadian carrier and going to version 7.2 and I think the above was pointing that out to.... maybe 7.0 limits certain binary characters or data to go on SMS/MMS?

How to fix FaceTime waiting for activation error on iPhone 4 | TiPb
    i have my iphone4 jailbroken and unlocked with tmobile. calling/texting/ etc works. everything except facetime of course, but i checked my carrier settings and it says im on AT&T 7.0

?!
    2010-08-05 07:05 PM
    I think all of us on T-mobile are on 7.0.

Read this trend.
    FaceTime doesn't work on non-supported networks (i.e. T-Mobile, etc.) - Mac Forums

Copy and paste

I ordered a UK phone on launch day. I do a lot of travelling between countries and had it delivered to my office over there but didn't activate it until I got back to the US with my US T-Mobile SIM card. Worked fine back then, everything including Facetime worked right away. My problem stareted this past Saturday when I had to get a new SIM card since I was having occasional issues with locking on to international carriers with any brand of cell phone and t-mobile thought it was the sim card since it was around 8 years old. Anyway, the SIM card works fine with everything like phone calls, MMS, tethering (EDGE though but in a pinch still useful), push notifications but now I'm getting the "waiting for activation..." message on enabling facetime. I've restored the phone to factory new phone defaults and reactivated but still nothing. I'll give US t-mobile a call and see what they say. They've always been really helpful in troubleshooting iphone issues before.
    Last edited by LosAngelesRider; 2010-08-05 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-08-05 08:25 PM
    Don't count on it being something That can be fixed.

I've already made an attempt at trying to "spoof" the information.

The commcenter can't be "hacked" as one would say to artficially activate FaceTime. As apple NEEDS your info in order for FaceTime to work. Apple says it is done completely over wifi which is true but the initial call is done through your cell number. Which is why it is needed to send a text message.

From going through system files this is what I understand how FaceTime works.

Your phone sends apple a text to a number that handles FaceTime activation. this number varies if your in the US or international.

This number needs to be recorded in apples filesystem so You can initiate a call with another user who is also registered in the system. That is why you can't just spoof this information.

Only way this would work is if you travel out of country where the roaming carrier supports FaceTime and activate that way or someone creates a replica server like apples and do it that way, Then the commcenter can be patched to send the activation to the replica server. Just like Sauriks replica shsh signing server. If it was done this way it would be really slow because imagine how many people would be on it. It would also be very expensive for the person replicated the server.

you are absolutely right but this is what is boggling my mind because im so pissed off on this FaceTime issue...wen the Unlock first dropped...i added the ultrasnow source rite away (i mean like the second it got upgraded to support 01.59.00)...at this point my facetime was working with t-mobile edge t-zones data plan $5.99 using my3g app...it was a bit laggy but i was going crazy that i had this capability!!)...at this time i was on fw 4.0 so idk why call me stupid i decide to upgrade to 4.0.1
    ..........now this whole "waiting for activating BS"....now what happened...i have numerous unanswered unconfirmed assumptions...

1. Could it be that Apple has added this "verification of FaceTime" in 4.0.1 and not in fw4.0?? because mind you before the unlock facetime at least on my IP4 was not doing so...just a simple on or off for Facetime under settings---phone-- but again that was before unlock release and i was on fw4.0

2. If it is not 4.0.1 issue, why did my facetime work unlocked t-mobile USA with edge...that is why i dont believe it is a carrier issue???

3. My friend in michigan...still skepticle if i actually believe he bout his ip4 from a us att store or he just crossed into canada (pretty close to him) and purchasd a factory unlocked iphone4..but he has facetime working on t-mobile USA however on FW 4.0???

IS THIS A 4.0.1 HIDDEN LASHOUT FROM APPLE TO THE JB/UNLOCKING SCENE??...I THINK IT MAKES PERFECT SENSE...BUT ANYONE OUT THERE CAN CONFIRM NOW THAT T-MOBILE USA ON A PURCHASED IPHONE4 FROM USA PREVIOUSLY LOCKED BUT NOW UNLOCKED ON FW 4.0 IS STILL ABLE TO USE FACETIME????....AGAIN HOW WAS I USING THIS FEATURE (APPLE WHAT DO YOU THINK)....PLEASE ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED
    2010-08-05 08:45 PM
    you are absolutely right but this is what is boggling my mind because im so pissed off on this FaceTime issue...wen the Unlock first dropped...i added the ultrasnow source rite away (i mean like the second it got upgraded to support 01.59.00)...at this point my facetime was working with t-mobile edge t-zones data plan $5.99 using my3g app...it was a bit laggy but i was going crazy that i had this capability!!)...at this time i was on fw 4.0 so idk why call me stupid i decide to upgrade to 4.0.1
    ..........now this whole "waiting for activating BS"....now what happened...i have numerous unanswered unconfirmed assumptions...

1. Could it be that Apple has added this "verification of FaceTime" in 4.0.1 and not in fw4.0?? because mind you before the unlock facetime at least on my IP4 was not doing so...just a simple on or off for Facetime under settings---phone-- but again that was before unlock release and i was on fw4.0

2. If it is not 4.0.1 issue, why did my facetime work unlocked t-mobile USA with edge...that is why i dont believe it is a carrier issue???

3. My friend in michigan...still skepticle if i actually believe he bout his ip4 from a us att store or he just crossed into canada (pretty close to him) and purchasd a factory unlocked iphone4..but he has facetime working on t-mobile USA however on FW 4.0???

IS THIS A 4.0.1 HIDDEN LASHOUT FROM APPLE TO THE JB/UNLOCKING SCENE??...I THINK IT MAKES PERFECT SENSE...BUT ANYONE OUT THERE CAN CONFIRM NOW THAT T-MOBILE USA ON A PURCHASED IPHONE4 FROM USA PREVIOUSLY LOCKED BUT NOW UNLOCKED ON FW 4.0 IS STILL ABLE TO USE FACETIME????....AGAIN HOW WAS I USING THIS FEATURE (APPLE WHAT DO YOU THINK)....PLEASE ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED
    I unlocked mine the second it came out but never upgraded to 4.0.1 and i still get waiting for activation.
    i never had facetime working, and i am still on original iOS4.0
    2010-08-05 09:03 PM
    I would love to know if the dev team or anyone out there can say they're working on a facetime fix for use with Tmobile if not I'll just return my iphone because facetime was what I was looking forward to using the most. I also do not have the option to go in and change the carrier setting to edit the APN settings. Not sure what I need to do to do that. Running 4.01 jailbroke and unlocked???
    2010-08-05 09:05 PM
    i unlocked mine the second it came out but never upgraded to 4.0.1 and i still get waiting for activation.
    I never had facetime working, and i am still on original ios4.0
    idk this whole thing is giving me a headache...i dont like being "beat" by the system...
    2010-08-05 09:10 PM
    idk this whole thing is giving me a headache...i dont like being "beat" by the system...
    haha same here.

i really hope someone can come out with some kind of fix.
    because obviously there's no other way around it,

unless Apple. has something up his sleeve
    2010-08-05 09:14 PM
    Me too I've tried both 4.0 and upgraded to 4.01 and still the same thing. NO facetime and no MMS and no way to edit my cellular data settings.

If I can't get Facetime working I am going back to my 3g instead
    2010-08-05 09:14 PM
518 1234513 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD