I'm up in Canada and I'm wondering what the difference would be if I bought the contract-free/unlocked Iphone 4 from the Apple Store vs going on a contract, getting a locked Iphone 4 and then unlocking it with Ultrasn0w or something. Will it be the same after? Or is it better to get the contract-free/unlocked version? I know all Iphone 4s come to the Apple store unlocked but they just lock it if you buy through a carrier.
    2010-08-13 10:11 PM
    .. I'm wondering what the difference would be if I bought the contract-free/unlocked Iphone 4 from the Apple Store vs going on a contract, getting a locked Iphone 4 and then unlocking it with Ultrasn0w or something....
    Factory unlocked iDevices are always unlocked, even with future iOS updates.

...I know all Iphone 4s come to the Apple store unlocked but they just lock it if you buy through a carrier.
    How do you know this?
    Last edited by Mes; 2010-08-13 at 10:53 PM.
    2010-08-13 10:46 PM
    How do you know this?
    My friend works at the Apple store and says there's no differentiation in stock between unlocked Iphones and Iphones they give to customers that buy on contract besides the fact they lock them. He sounded pretty sure but I guess he could be wrong.
    2010-08-14 12:08 AM
    Factory unlocked iDevices are always unlocked, even with future iOS updates.
    For sure unlocked or.. SIM-Free iPhone or any other phone is better, there's no doubt about it. It's not only unlocked with future updates, but any unnecessary tweaks with your hardware/software are also not needed.
    2010-08-14 12:19 AM
    The phones in the US are locked by Apple. They take the IMEI and lock it that way for phones that are to be sold in the US. AT&T has no power to lock or unlock the phones. Physically there are no differences tho, but the IMEI attached to the phones matter. If Apple wants them locked, theyre locked.

If youre in Canada, grab one factory unlocked there. Youll never have to worry about software unlocking again. If youre looking to get one for contract price, of course its much cheaper, youll just have a contract then too to worry about.
    2010-08-14 12:22 AM
    My friend works at the Apple store and says there's no differentiation in stock between unlocked Iphones and Iphones they give to customers that buy on contract besides the fact they lock them. He sounded pretty sure but I guess he could be wrong.
    For a phone purchased in Canada, this makes sense. I would ask (and see it in writing ), IF the phone can be and will be unlocked at the end of the contract. If they say yes, and IF you like the carrier and IF you can save money, I would go that route. At the end you should end up the same, with a permanently unlocked phone. Lots of it's, sure. But worth the research
    2010-08-14 12:48 AM
    this is 100% fact, in canada, all iphone 4s that apple store receieves ares factory unlocked. when you are buying on an upgrade, they scan the IMEI which automatically locks it to the carrier.

once the phone is locked to the carrier, it can never be factory unlocked afterwards, even at the end of your contract.
    2010-08-14 04:11 AM
    ...it can never be factory unlocked afterwards, even at the end of your contract.
    Never? Apple can do anything remember? They are god
    2010-08-14 04:34 AM
    not that they cant, they wont.....
    2010-08-14 04:44 AM
    ^^Make a big stink about it to the carrier. If you live up to your obligations, they should let you go free . It's not only fair, it's the right thing to do !!
    2010-08-14 04:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD