User Tag List

I really want to get the iPhone 4, but I really don't want to get the expensive data plan. I saw that iPhone 4s without contract were $599. I also saw that I could get to the home screen (to jailbreak and unlock) with a "phone book" SIM from Radioshack or somewhere like that. Would it work if I got a $199 iPhone 4 from the Apple store then used the "phone book" SIM to jailbreak and unlock it. I have an original iPhone now with AT&T but without a data plan. (Maybe the answer to this is really obvious but I don't know what it is because I'm a n00b.)
    2010-08-22 05:39 PM
    yes the phonebook sim would help you to get off the emergency screen
    then you can jailbreak with jailbreakme.com from going to that site on your iphone and then installing ultrasn0w from cydia, also you would have to install the hactivation patch from cydia

btw are you going to stay in at&t or are you going to use a different carrier once you unlock the phone?
    2010-08-22 07:50 PM
    Thx for replying. So can I do that with the $200 one at the Apple store or will I have to buy it for $600. I will be using AT&T, but without the data plan.
    2010-08-22 11:32 PM
    Since you are staying on AT&T it's best to do the $200 upgrade and u won't need to use a phonebook simcard as it will be already activated
    Just tell the apple workers that you don't want the data plan and I guess they will transfer everything from your sim card to the micro sim inside the iPhone 4
    I don't know what they do because I don't have a contract with AT&T but I guess you can ask lol

Buying the phone without the contract ($600) is for people that don't want to have a contract with AT&T but rather use the phone for other carriers i.e jailbreak and unlock
    2010-08-23 12:23 AM
    I was under the impression that you had to get the data plan for it and that's what I was trying to avoid, but if they will sell me an iPhone 4 without the data plan for $200- sweet.
    2010-08-23 12:32 AM
    I was under the impression that you had to get the data plan for it and that's what I was trying to avoid, but if they will sell me an iPhone 4 without the data plan for $200- sweet.
    No. Sorry that you've just been misinformed. AT&T won't sell smart phones without data plans.

Answer Center | AT&T

"All new and current iPhone customers who are upgrade eligible, plus existing customers who choose to upgrade early must agree to a two-year term commitment, and select an eligible voice and data plan for iPhone."
    2010-08-23 12:42 AM
    So if I walk into the Apple store and pay $200 for an iPhone will they activate it there or will I do that at home on iTunes? If I'm supposed to do it at home with iTunes can I put in the "phone book" SIM before and jailbreak it, therefore avoiding activating it with iTunes and getting a data plan.

(sorry sometimes n00b questions are a pain)
    2010-08-23 01:18 AM
    So if I walk into the Apple store and pay $200 for an iPhone will they activate it there or will I do that at home on iTunes? If I'm supposed to do it at home with iTunes can I put in the "phone book" SIM before and jailbreak it, therefore avoiding activating it with iTunes and getting a data plan.

(sorry sometimes n00b questions are a pain)
    Your data plan isn't added through iTunes. Things, surprisingly, work a lot different nowadays than with the 2G

I'm not sure if the Apple store would open it up and make you pop your sim in, but it wouldn't matter because after plugging into iTunes and getting past the emergency call screen the phone is activated once you grab AT&T service (signal). The more relevant question is "would the Apple store verify I have a data plan on my account when I sign a 2-year contract?". The answer is most likely "Yes" since although the phone is bought through Apple, the subsidized pricing is a result of having AT&T service - which would obviously need to be verified by AT&T.

Now, if you got the phone somehow without a check for your account having the iPhone messaging and data plan, you could get past the emergency call screen with the phonebook sim and install the lockdownd patch to hacktivate. But, I've heard many instances of iPhone messaging and data plans automatically being added to accounts once the phone is on AT&T's network and your IMEI is recognized as that of an iPhone's. I think it's futile to try, but that's all the info I can give you.
    Last edited by n1c3jack3t; 2010-08-23 at 03:17 AM.
    2010-08-23 03:14 AM
    If you buy an iPhone $200 dollars straight from apple your phone will get activated you won't need a phonebook sim card to activate
    2010-08-23 04:32 AM
    Your data plan isn't added through iTunes. Things, surprisingly, work a lot different nowadays than with the 2G

I'm not sure if the Apple store would open it up and make you pop your sim in, but it wouldn't matter because after plugging into iTunes and getting past the emergency call screen the phone is activated once you grab AT&T service (signal). The more relevant question is "would the Apple store verify I have a data plan on my account when I sign a 2-year contract?". The answer is most likely "Yes" since although the phone is bought through Apple, the subsidized pricing is a result of having AT&T service - which would obviously need to be verified by AT&T.

Now, if you got the phone somehow without a check for your account having the iPhone messaging and data plan, you could get past the emergency call screen with the phonebook sim and install the lockdownd patch to hacktivate. But, I've heard many instances of iPhone messaging and data plans automatically being added to accounts once the phone is on AT&T's network and your IMEI is recognized as that of an iPhone's. I think it's futile to try, but that's all the info I can give you.
    That was very helpful. So when I buy the device I have to sign a two year contract and commit right there?

(Yes another annoying question)
    2010-08-23 05:29 AM
    That was very helpful. So when I buy the device I have to sign a two year contract and commit right there?

(Yes another annoying question)
    Yes. It's the only way you're gonna get subsidized pricing. You can go into an Apple store and purchase straight up for $600 and bypass anything to do with your account, but if you want the $199 upgrade...it requires a new two-year contract. That's how it works. No way around it.
    2010-08-23 05:34 AM
    You can go into an Apple store and purchase straight up for $600 and bypass anything to do with your account....
    actually...you cannot get an iPhone4 without a data plan and an AT&T contract, subsidized or not....

http://www.wireless.att.com/answer-c...010&isSrch=Yes

Question:
    What if I am not upgrade eligible; can I still purchase iPhone 4?

"Any customer who wants to purchase iPhone 4 without signing a new two-year agreement may do so at the no commitment price. An eligible voice and data plan are required, and purchase limits apply."

So you can get an iPhone4 if you are already an AT&T customer but not eligible for the upgrade at full price, but you still have to add the data plan onto the contract you are currently on. Either way you have to be an AT&T customer in a current contract (that is not eligible for upgrade yet) and you must add the data plan...or become a new customer with the 2 yr service agreement
    Last edited by amsgator; 2010-08-26 at 03:00 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-08-26 02:51 AM
    actually...you cannot get an iPhone4 without a data plan and an AT&T contract, subsidized or not....

Answer Center | AT&T

Question:
    What if I am not upgrade eligible; can I still purchase iPhone 4?

"Any customer who wants to purchase iPhone 4 without signing a new two-year agreement may do so at the no commitment price. An eligible voice and data plan are required, and purchase limits apply."

So you can get an iPhone4 if you are already an AT&T customer but not eligible for the upgrade at full price, but you still have to add the data plan onto the contract you are currently on. Either way you have to be an AT&T customer in a current contract (that is not eligible for upgrade yet) and you must add the data plan...or become a new customer with the 2 yr service agreement
    This is beyond the point, since he's looking for $200 pricing. But, for the sake of argument: not true. BGR confirmed with Apple that you can buy unsubsidized with no contract. The link you posted is the AT&T FAQ. I said you can walk into an APPLE store. Completely different.

Apple no longer selling iPhones off-contract in U.S.? Boy Genius Report

"UPDATE: Apple was kind enough to point out that we (along with everyone else who published this story) were in fact… wrong. Apple is still offering full-priced iPhones for those who do not want to be locked-in to a two-year contract. Apologies for the mis-information."

I can also confirm this because....I walked into an Apple store and purchased my iPhone 4 unsubsidized and with no AT&T contract.
    Last edited by n1c3jack3t; 2010-08-26 at 04:51 AM.
    2010-08-26 04:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD