Hello!

Is it safe for me to upgrade my unlocked, jail broken 3GS phone and is there any benefit in doing so? How far up the upgrade ladder can I go?

If there isn't much benefit in upgrading, I'm probably better off leaving well enough alone. This phone has some difficulty establishing WiFi when I turn it off and back on at home. That's my only complaint with it so far. I do love this iPhone, it does everything I need.

Any advance would be appreciated!
    2010-09-10 02:49 PM
    I'm guessing your on 3.1.3? I went up to 4.0.1 with tiny unbrella a few days back. Best thing I did. All apps and cydia apps I had work great. Multitasking isn't great but it works and is defitnly not a drain on ram as backgrounder is.
    2010-09-10 11:07 PM
    Yes, I'm on 3.1.3 and I would like to upgrade if there's a strong possibility that my phone won't freeze up! I'll see what's involved in upgrading the software, thanks for your comments.
    2010-09-11 01:53 AM
    If you dont have your SHSHs youll have to stay on 3.1.3 anyway. iOS 4 is nice especially if you have a 3GS or iP4 so its worth the upgrade on those faster phones. But you will be forced up to 4.1 if you dont have your SHSHs HOWEVER if you have the old bootrom 3GS you can use custom firmwares to go to 4.0 or 4.0.1 (assuming youre currently JB on 3.1.3).
    2010-09-11 06:44 AM
    If you dont have your SHSHs youll have to stay on 3.1.3 anyway. iOS 4 is nice especially if you have a 3GS or iP4 so its worth the upgrade on those faster phones. But you will be forced up to 4.1 if you dont have your SHSHs HOWEVER if you have the old bootrom 3GS you can use custom firmwares to go to 4.0 or 4.0.1 (assuming youre currently JB on 3.1.3).
    To use custom firmware to go up to 4.0 you need not only old bootrom but you need to be on 3.1.2 and not be jailbroken with Spirit or jailbreakme.com
    2010-09-11 10:45 AM
    Actually, if you have the old bootrom you could easily and safely go to 4.0 from 3.1.3 whether you have SHSH files or not.

1. Check your bootrom version first.
    2. Are you jailbroken with spirit at present? Assuming you have the old bootrom, you can install spirit2pwn (unofficial tool, but works great, I've used it multiple times).
    3. Upgrade to iOS4.0 using Sn0wbreeze custom firmware.
    4. Unlock with ultrasnow
    2010-09-13 08:50 AM
    It's broken with Spirit and I'll have to do some research to figure out what bootrom I have. I'm currently at 3.1.3 and 5.12.1 and everything is working well. I'll get back to the board when I know what bootrom I'm on. I would think that I have a SHSH from my initial conversion to unlocked/JB status. I'll get back to the board when I figure this stuff out, thanks for everyone's help, I'm completely new to all of this!
    2010-09-14 06:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD