I got an Iphone 4 on contract. It came as 4.0.2 with 01.59.00 baseband, and I restored from backup. 4.1 came out and I upgraded to 4.1 with TU and preserved the 01.59.00 baseband. I have 4.0.2 and 4.1 SHSH saved with TU.

I have now been hearing, here and elsewhere, about some drawbacks of restoring from backup. These include problems with reception, connections, and battery life. Many say it's clear that new phone activation is better for those reasons. My question is that if I activate as a new phone now, will I be forced to upgrade to the current 02.10.04 baseband in the process? I assume when you activate as new, you are forced into the most current firmware and baseband. Am I wrong?

Many thanks
    2010-09-15 12:06 AM
    it won't upgrade your baseband. just activate the phone as it is new assuming you didn't upgrade your baseband you should be good.
    2010-09-15 02:05 AM
    You upgraded to 4.1 with TU and preserved the baseband?

Are you sure? TinyUmbrella won't do that for you.

Aha, I just researched it and see that it can.....
    Last edited by eyeRobot; 2010-09-15 at 11:13 AM.
    2010-09-15 11:08 AM
    You upgraded to 4.1 with TU and preserved the baseband?

Are you sure? TinyUmbrella won't do that for you.

Aha, I just researched it and see that it can.....
    Right apparently it can now. Actually I'm not really sure what happened in my case. I didn't really understand the process when I did it. I was on 4.0.2 and I was trying to simply upgrade to 4.1, at the time ignorant of the baseband issue. I selected 'update' (not restore) through itunes, and it gave me error 1004 and put me into recovery mode. I researched the error and found that TU can 'kick out of recovery mode', so I clicked on it and when the phone booted up, I was on 4.1 with 01.59.00 baseband. TU specifically tells you to restore, not update, so I'm not sure why it worked. I also don't know why I got the 1004 error, since I was updating a non-JB phone to a standard current firmware. My only thought is that because I had saved my 4.0.2 SHSH before, this somehow complicated the issue by involving TU. Maybe I'll never know.
    2010-09-16 12:53 AM
    Are you sure TU wasn't already running in the background?

Anyway it's good news if you need a carrier unlock, obviously though you will still need to JB
    2010-09-16 05:58 AM
    it won't upgrade your baseband. just activate the phone as it is new assuming you didn't upgrade your baseband you should be good.
    So just put into restore mode, connect to computer, and activate as new with itunes?

I always though if you restored through itunes, you had to upgrade at the same time.
    2010-09-16 03:34 PM
    I got an Iphone 4 on contract. It came as 4.0.2 with 01.59.00 baseband, and I restored from backup. 4.1 came out and I upgraded to 4.1 with TU and preserved the 01.59.00 baseband. I have 4.0.2 and 4.1 SHSH saved with TU.

I have now been hearing, here and elsewhere, about some drawbacks of restoring from backup. These include problems with reception, connections, and battery life. Many say it's clear that new phone activation is better for those reasons. My question is that if I activate as a new phone now, will I be forced to upgrade to the current 02.10.04 baseband in the process? I assume when you activate as new, you are forced into the most current firmware and baseband. Am I wrong?

Many thanks
    You are mixing your apples and oranges. Setting up as new or restoring from backup has nothing to do with the actual process of restoring the firmware on the phone. It specifically refers to the data that you restore on the phone after the firmware is restored.

When you set up as new you do not restore the user data from the backup that itunes keep. When you restore from backup you restore all the user data like contacts, calenders etc. It is recommended that when you restore a JB phone you set up as new.
    Last edited by nebo1ss; 2010-09-18 at 11:50 PM.
    2010-09-18 11:48 PM
    Thanks for the clarification!
    2010-09-19 11:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD