1. temec's Avatar
    Hi all,
    I bought a 2g iphone on ebay about a month ago and because it was from the US and I'm in New Zealand I jaiilbroke it and unlocked it using redsn0w 0.9.4 using 3.0FW. It worked great, I put my sim in and was able to make calls straight away.

    About a week later I went into town (I live on the edge of cell coverage and don't always get a signal at home) and my phone was constantly searching..... searching.... and finally said no signal. I tried reset of network settings, airplane mode sim out trick, new sim, reboot, re-jailbreak, used bootneuter to re-lock then unlock the phone opened the phone up and checked wire connections.... nothing worked.

    Eventually I downgraded the baseband from 04.05.04_g to 04.04.05_g with ziphone and got my signal back right away. Okay, I had 1.1.4 FW, but at least my phone worked. Then 2 days later same thing, searching and no signal in places that should show 5 bars.

    I'm starting to wonder if the guy I bought it from a) stole it and sold it on, or b) claimed it was stolen to get the insurance and it's been locked as it seems to work ok for a few days before losing signal.

    Can not having service for a few days cause an iphone to not recognize when taken into an area with service? If that makes any sense.

    Anyone seen this preoblem before or have any ideas? I'm at a loss. Any help would be greatly appriciated. Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to explain everything I've tried.
    2010-09-18 06:11 AM
  2. i.Annie's Avatar
    Try calling your service provider? Ask them if any towers are down or being calibrated. If that's not it then restore the phone. Then see if that fixed it.
    2010-09-18 06:18 AM
  3. temec's Avatar
    Thanks Anniex, that's a good point as we had a hell of a storm last night. Called them but they say everything is fine.

    I've restored and re-jailbroken countless times and it hasn't made a difference, unfortunatly.
    2010-09-18 06:54 AM
  4. i.Annie's Avatar
    You might be right then...it could've recently been blacklisted cuz of it being reported lost or stolen.

    Have you tried simply upgrading the phone thru iTunes via the upgrade button, get your baseband back up to the latest version possible, then try Redsn0w 0.9.4 (point at 3.1.2 ipsw).

    That's the last thing I can suggest before I am completely stumped
    2010-09-18 06:57 AM
  5. temec's Avatar
    I haven't upgraded since I downgraded the baseband. I'm going to try on another machine as I had to actually re-install Windows to remove all rememnants of itunes 10 in order to install itunes 7.5 for the downgrade and I don't want to go through that again.

    I was just looking at a IMEI checking website and although my IMEI wasn't perfect on it's validity chart it wasn't at 0 which is what I'd have expected if it was barred/blocked or whatever. Plus, I was thinking my distance from the location it was paired with, in North America might be skewing the results.

    Anyway, I more confused than ever....
    2010-09-18 07:13 AM
  6. temec's Avatar
    Just an update so that anyone who has this preoblem may want to know ny solution, I restored to 3.0 and jailbroke/unlocked with redsn0w 0.9.4. This time, everytime I'm at home and have intermittant coverage I put the phone in airplane mode, when I leave the house I turn airplane mode off and it connects instantly. I have no idea why, but not having a signal for an extended period of time seems to make my phone not detect one when there is a signal. Anyway, that's what worked for me, hopefully it helps someone else out there.
    2010-09-20 09:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD