I bought a iPhone 2G - version 3.1.3 (7E18) - baseband 04.05.04_G -

I have been unable to unlock this phone. I jailbreak it fine - I go through the process of unlocking it but when I stick my SIM card in - it just says searching and then eventually No Service. I've been working on this since Thursday evening.

I'm confused - I've done the whole google bit - researched - followed instructions to the tee - many different instructions with the same freaking result.... each and every time.

I'm unclear - based on what I wrote in the first sentence - regarding my iPhone - is that unlockable? Am I just a idiot when it comes to doing this? I've unlocked an iPhone before (a year ago and it wasn't a 2G) so figured it wasn't that different but this one is killing me.

Please help!!
    2010-09-19 05:03 PM
    I am having this same issue... I jailbroke via jailbreakme.com and tried using bootneuter. Bootneuter launched and already said that it was unlocked, and ended up killing my Wifi. I restarted the phone and wifi was back. However when I tried using the SIM that was not activated with the iPhone it said that I needed to activate...
    Last edited by michaellindahl; 2010-09-20 at 05:28 AM.
    2010-09-20 04:52 AM
    I had the same problem with the wifi but just reset network settings and it worked after I entered wifi info in.

I guess no one has an answer. Alot of views but no real replies.
    2010-09-20 02:19 PM
    ...and the biggest problem is Googling doesn't help, cause I can't get any articles that pertain; I keep getting ones about the 3G and none for 04.05.04 firmware
    2010-09-20 02:48 PM
    I actually did this yesterday on my old iPhone 2G. I jail broke it using Jailbreakme.com then used BootNeuter to unlock it, only to find that my sim didn't work. So, I restored the phone and jail-broke and unlocked it again using redsn0w. Still wouldn't connect to the carrier.

So, I started doing some research. What I discovered is that the sim I was using, Tracfone, is further locked by the carrier to only work on "Tracfone phones." As of yet, I have not found a work-around, and there may not be one. I would imagine that y'all have a similar problem.
    2010-09-20 05:36 PM
    I am using an AT&T sim; when I plug it in it asks for activation and wants me to connect to iTunes...
    2010-09-20 06:11 PM
    I am using an AT&T sim; when I plug it in it asks for activation and wants me to connect to iTunes...
    I am new to all this, so take it with a big grain of salt, but from what I gather, the unlock and activation processes are different. If they are, then the iPhone will want to activate if you put in an AT&T sim card but not if you put in a non-AT&T sim card. If this is the case, you would need to restore and then JB using a method that both unlocks and activates, such as redsn0w.
    2010-09-20 06:18 PM
    My carrier is TMobile - as far as I know - people are able to use iPhones with TMobile. =/ I don't know ...
    2010-09-20 08:38 PM
    For 2G, once you have restored to 3.1.3, you can hactivate, jailbreak and unlock all in one process using Redsn0w 0.9.4. When running Redsn0w , you have to browse to 3.1.2 not 3.1.3. You have to download BL 3.9 and BL 4.6 as well. All of this is done from Emergency Screen without any sim card.
    Make sure you check the unlock box and do not check the already pwn if you are not sure.
    If you want more info , you can look it up here :
    How to Jailbreak/Unlock 3.1.3 iPhone 2G Windows & OS X
    Iphone 2G is now able to be jailbroken and unlock for life.
    2010-09-21 04:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD