Hey guys!
    Got a bit of a problem which I'm pretty you guys have heard a lot from noobs like myself.
    I bought a iPhone 3G (2nd Hand) from an auction, not knowing what carrier it was locked to or whatever I got it home and plugged it in and iTunes updated it to the 4.1 os.
    Now, the problem. It hasn't been activated, I got it done for me by someone at the local market but then in my playing around with it I managed to **** it up and now needs to be activated again. Before taking it to the market I tried to activate it myself just by googling stuff and that. But to no avail. And now I am in the same position.

So my question is....How do you activate this phone!!!!! There has to be a way cos th person that did it for me took like 10 mins!

And then, I have tried to downgrade the firmware on the phone so it can be jailbroken once it gets activated, downloaded the restore files and all that but apparently cos I don't have the SHSH blobs I cant downgrade the firmware...anyway around this?

so yeah, a bit long winded but hopefully I got all the info in there so I can possibly get some answers....
    I'm in Australia btw if that even matters remotely.

Thanks a lot!!
    Jason.
    2010-09-20 09:31 AM
    You can find out which carrier it is locked to (search for how to do this on this forum) and get a sim card from ebay for that carrier.

However, the easier option would be to go back to the market and have it done again?

Your big problem at the moment is that you upgraded to 4.1 and that updated your baseband to a version that cannot be unlocked. You are completely stuck until new tools come out. You should spend some time researching TinyUmbrella (are you sure you don't have SHSH files on store?), fuzzyband (might get updated for you to use in the future to downgrade your baseband).

Get your phone reactivated and use it as an ipod touch for the time being.
    2010-09-20 10:18 AM
    Yeah don't really want to go back to the market seeing as they charged $30 to do it, I know its not much but for something that seems simple enough I thought I could find out how to do it.

Yeah have been reading that 4.1 is unbreakable atm.
    I don't think I have any SHSH files, cos the first time i plugged it in it updated to 4.1 and trying to restore to 4.0 using the firmware download always results in error 3194 I think, can't remember. And I've tried using redsn0w just incase it worked but it said none of the IPSW's I had were valid.

So I guess its a waiting game to jailbreak, lets see if I can't at least activate it in the meantime.
    Already have iPod touch lol

Thanks for the help!
    2010-09-20 10:39 AM
    Download tinyumbrella, plug in your iphone, go to advanced options, start at 3.1.2 for 3GS and try to save SHSH from cydia up to 4.1

Let us know what you've got.
    2010-09-20 10:44 AM
    I did a search on how to find out which carrier its locked to.
    didnt come up with a conclusive answer for an un-activated iPhone...

maybe i suck at searching lol

I have tried tinyumbrella before, but wasn't sure what I was doing.

I just tried again, none of the 3GS worked...but thats prob cos the iPhone is 3G?

So I got the 3G ones, only went back to 4.0 though, went to restore through iTunes, it came up with an error 3194 again, but then went back to the activation screen like it does after i restore to 4.1. but I didnt choose 4.1. does this mean its on 4.0 now?
    Last edited by JDizzz; 2010-09-20 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-09-20 11:13 AM
    Yeah, sorry, I meant 3G.

Check if you have 3.1.2 because you should be able to activate there. Blackrain can do it.

When you do the restore, you need to start the TSS server on tiny umbrella and then start itunes, put phone in DFU mode and hold shift and click restore. Point to a downloaded stock firmware version and let it run. You should get an error message during the installation process - use tinyumbrella kick device out of recovery button and presto, you're restored.
    2010-09-20 11:40 AM
    Hey guys!
    Got a bit of a problem which I'm pretty you guys have heard a lot from noobs like myself.
    I bought a iPhone 3G (2nd Hand) from an auction, not knowing what carrier it was locked to or whatever I got it home and plugged it in and iTunes updated it to the 4.1 os.
    Now, the problem. It hasn't been activated, I got it done for me by someone at the local market but then in my playing around with it I managed to **** it up and now needs to be activated again. Before taking it to the market I tried to activate it myself just by googling stuff and that. But to no avail. And now I am in the same position.

So my question is....How do you activate this phone!!!!! There has to be a way cos th person that did it for me took like 10 mins!

And then, I have tried to downgrade the firmware on the phone so it can be jailbroken once it gets activated, downloaded the restore files and all that but apparently cos I don't have the SHSH blobs I cant downgrade the firmware...anyway around this?

so yeah, a bit long winded but hopefully I got all the info in there so I can possibly get some answers....
    I'm in Australia btw if that even matters remotely.

Thanks a lot!!
    Jason.
    You cannot unlock because you have updated to 4.1 which also updates your baseband. You can only jailbreak, if 3.1.3 is what you want. Do this :
    Put your iphone into DFU mode : Plug in your iphone , turn if off, hold Power and Home button for 10 secs, release the Power button and hold it for approximately 10 secs until you hear Itunes sound ting,tong, immediately let go your home button, now your Screen is Black, this is DFU mode.
    Now without edit any of your hosts file, if you have done so, change it back, so that it still points to Apple not Cydia.
    Now Do the Shift + Restore to 3.1.3 ipsw
    It will restore until an error 1015 pops up
    Now use Tiny Umbrella to kick out of recovery.
    Now you will be at Emergency Screen
    Run Redsn0w 0.9.4 and you have to browse to 3.1.2 which you have to download as well.
    Redsn0w will hactivate and jailbreak for you.
    You can now use it as an Ipod Touch if you are not with the official carrier.
    Good Luck.
    2010-09-21 05:06 AM
    Thanks guys, but neither of those techniques worked for me and I followed them step for step.
    Tinyumbrella doesn't have the blobs for 3.1.2. When I tried to restore to anything other than 4.1 I either got "error 3149" or "file is not compatible"
    So I don't kow what is going on, whether I'm doing something wrong or what....
    Bloody iPhones :P lol
    2010-09-21 11:31 AM
    Digging up an old thread I know, but I think I have made some progress but am still stuck.

So I finally jailbroke the iPhone using redsnow. Well at least I'm sure it is jailbroken as it went through the whole process and such.
    After it re-booted though it is still stuck on the "insert valid sim card to activate" screen.
    how on earth do I get it activated? I thought I read somewhere that redsnow does that for you when you jailbreak it.
    Is there anyway around this? Aside from trying all the different carriers sim cards in the phone to activate it?
    I have tried greenpois0n and limera1n but neither worked as i dont think they work on iphone 3G's
    Anyways, any help/advice would be appreciated!
    Thanks in advance!
    2010-11-12 02:25 PM
    If you need hactivation, then restore to a custom firmware created by Pwnage tools 4.1.2.
    If you only have a PC, then run redsn0w 0.9.6b2 to put you into DFU mode and then Shift + restore to a hactivated custom firmware of 4.1.
    2010-11-12 07:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD