I bought a new iphone4 and recognized that it is sim locked by AT&T which doesn't exist here in Dubai!
    I even couldn't jailbreak it as it is ver 4.1, could someone help me? Iam still new to iPhone, its my first iPhone i buy!

Thank You in advance.
    2010-09-22 12:18 PM
    Do the phone ask for SSN & Zip Code? Or just a sim to activate?

You've got 3 problems you need to resolve:

Activation:
    If it's asking for SSN & Zip Code then you are going to need these from the original buyer. If it's just asking for a sim card then I think you can use an AT&T microsim to activate.

Jailbreaking:
    You can't jailbreak iphone4 at present on 4.1. You need to wait for new tools. While you are waiting (might not be too long if rumour is to believed) you should research SHSH files. Download tinyumbrella and save your SHSH for firmware 4.1.

Unlocking:
    Also think you are in for a wait with this. The current available unlocks won't work so you need to wait for new tools.

I'm no iPhone 4 expert, so hopefully someone can elaborate more for you, but I don't think you should expect good news yet.
    2010-09-22 01:02 PM
    Well it's not asking for zip code or anything. But the thing is that I inserted the sim card which belongs to the carrier I am on in Dubai and it gives me no signal and sometimes invalid sim! Do you think I won't be able to jailbreak until long time
    2010-09-22 01:11 PM
    I don't think you'll be waiting too long. You just need to jailbreak and unlock, sounds like it's activated.
    2010-09-22 01:14 PM
    It is activated but I cant make and receive calls yet, the carrier AT&T has blocked the phone so I won't be able yo insert another sim card
    2010-09-22 01:18 PM
    No, as I said, you need to jailbreak it and then unlock it before you can use your sim in it. At the moment neither can be done.

Wait it out and save your SHSH file with tinyumbrella while you're waiting.
    2010-09-22 01:21 PM
    Thank you very much for your great help and please if you get anything new please let me know. I appreciate that!
    2010-09-22 01:25 PM
    One more thing, do not upgrade your firmware if anything is released. Not only will you reduce your chances of jailbreaking and unlocking, but you might also need to reactivate the phone with an AT&T sim card.
    2010-09-22 01:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD