Hi,

I've been reading the site for a few days but never posted. I'm wondering if someone here can tell me if I'm totally screwed or not.

1) I live in Taiwan. Im using an Iphone supported 3g phone provider based here

2) I brought my own unlocked iphone over and have been using it.

3) I upgraded to 4.1. oops. now i'm locked out of making phone call even though i use an iphone certified provider. ipod functions still work

4) I think 'oh i'll restore from a backup' that'll fix it. instead i just restored. S***.

5) I now have a beautiful paperweight. I cant activate the phone even with my iphone supported provider (my guess is because I have an iphone from the US that was originally an ATT phone?)

6) began reading modmyi . should have been step 1

anything i can do? I get that i'm screwed on 4.1 until a new jailbreak / unlock comes out but i'm afraid I wont even be able to activate my phone. I've taken it to the provider but they just say its not the sim card and they cant do anything else.
    2010-09-25 12:18 PM
    You can activate the phone by getting hold of an ATT SIM card or a phonebook card, but even then instead of a paperweight you will have an IPOD. The 4.1 upgrade was not a good idea, there is no Jailbreak and no unlock for this version. A bigger long term problem is that we expect a Jailbreak to be released soon but there is no information on anyone working on an unlock for that upgraded baseband that comes with 4.1
    2010-09-25 04:09 PM
    You can activate the phone by getting hold of an ATT SIM card or a phonebook card, but even then instead of a paperweight you will have an IPOD. The 4.1 upgrade was not a good idea, there is no Jailbreak and no unlock for this version. A bigger long term problem is that we expect a Jailbreak to be released soon but there is no information on anyone working on an unlock for that upgraded baseband that comes with 4.1
    Thanks for the help. sorry but whats a phonebook card? Also will any ATT sim card work? ATT isn't a service provider here so i'll have to have it mailed from the states, yikes. for example will a one month prepaid activate it or do i need something with a data plan?

I have a back up phone so an ipod is better than nothing but is there any reason to believe there won't eventually be an unlock?

thanks again!

mike
    2010-09-25 04:14 PM
    Which phone is this?
    2010-09-25 04:18 PM
    Well that's weird others have said that there not in the US and they give there phone company the EDID or ECID and they activate it for u through iTunes

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    2010-09-25 05:49 PM
    Which phone is this?
    Iphone 3gs

Well that's weird others have said that there not in the US and they give there phone company the EDID or ECID and they activate it for u through iTunes

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    is there a place to get some more information about this? I don't really understand what you mean and I don't speak Chinese well enough to communicate myself with the phone people when I go to the store so if I could give my friend, who translates, some specific instructions it would help. Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by belks; 2010-09-25 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-09-25 06:14 PM
    The AT&T sim card could be pay and go or could be old card u used before leaving US. Local carrier cannot help u wasting time in that direction. Get a friend in US who upgraded to ip4 send you old sim card from ip3
    2010-09-25 06:30 PM
    The AT&T sim card could be pay and go or could be old card u used before leaving US. Local carrier cannot help u wasting time in that direction. Get a friend in US who upgraded to ip4 send you old sim card from ip3
    That actually won't work, unless AT&T lied to me they told me they deactivate your sim when u upgrade

SOLUTION: there is an attachment that u can buy that changes a micro sim to a regular sim size then you can use someones iphone4 sim to activate yours, but I could be wrong about the activation
    2010-09-25 06:42 PM
    Att did not lie to u. Sim card does not have to be active to activate an iPhone that is not being activated for the first time.
    2010-09-25 07:22 PM
    Thanks for all the help.

I got an ATT sim from a coworker. My iPhone is now activated. Thanks again so much. You're lifesavers. At least I can listen to music again. It sounds like there wont be a 4.1 unlock, if at all. Is safe to assume sometime in the next few months we'll see something whether on 4.1 or 4.1.x or 4.2 etc? Also, is there anyreason not to use the reDsnow jailbreak? I'd like it to be jailbroken but if it has the potential to screw up a hypothetical unlock i'd rather skip it. I suppose I can also undo redsnow by restore to a 4.1 backup and then use whatever unlock comes out? Thanks again for all the help.

Mike
    2010-09-26 12:53 PM
    Redsn0w is not for the 3GS see attached information from the DEV team.

Dev-Team Blog - redsn0wier
    2010-09-26 02:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD
We have updated our Privacy Policy and Terms & Conditions. Please check them out.