If the OP has old bootrom, can't he just downgrade to 3.xx and then use redsn0w or sn0wbreeze for 4.xx?
    He would need SHSHs to do any sort of restore. He does not have any saved.
    2010-10-01 04:06 AM
    But he has old bootrom. He doesn't need SHSH for old bootrom, except for the 4.xx.
    2010-10-01 04:12 AM
    But he has old bootrom. He doesn't need SHSH for old bootrom, except for the 4.xx.
    No...that's not how it works. Old boot means nothing except that they can restore to custom firmwares. New boot phones can't. Only iPhone 3G can restore to 3.1.x without SHSHs.
    2010-10-01 04:16 AM
    just wanted to thank everyone for their help. the update was successful. i am now on an jailbroken/unlocked 3gs running 4.1

I personally would stick with what you have until the unlock and jailbreak for 4.1 comes out. 4.0 for 3g and 3gs fail epically and i don't think you'll be happy with 4.0
    unlock and jailbreak is already out... 4.1 is fantastic. i can download hulu and multitask.

Lol yeah it usually doesn't but I'm guessing it's user error. Some people just mess it up somehow and brick the phone

-.- if done correctly I'm sure no problems arise.
    i read some forums where people bricked because they applied it on the new bootrom...
    Last edited by heyyyitsjordan; 2010-10-01 at 06:33 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-10-01 06:26 AM
    Heyyitsjordan, do you have any problems?
    2010-10-01 06:27 AM
    I personally would stick with what you have until the unlock and jailbreak for 4.1 comes out. 4.0 for 3g and 3gs fail epically and i don't think you'll be happy with 4.0
    That's simply not true for 3GS. I've been on 4.0 since June and it's been operating flawlessly, far better than 3.1.2 and 3.1.3 ever did.
    2010-10-01 06:29 AM
    the only issues i had was
    1. determining what jailbreak method was used
    2. after using sn0wbreeze to create the custom ipsw, the iphone was rejecting my tmobile sim because the phone was not unlocked. i used a non sim-locked cingular (not at&t... its a miracle it worked) sim card to get into the home screen... and from there downloaded the new version of ultrasn0w to unlock... after that everything went smooth as butter
    2010-10-01 06:31 AM
    the only issues i had was
    1. determining what jailbreak method was used
    2. after using sn0wbreeze to create the custom ipsw, the iphone was rejecting my tmobile sim because the phone was not unlocked. i used a non sim-locked cingular (not at&t... its a miracle it worked) sim card to get into the home screen... and from there downloaded the new version of ultrasn0w to unlock... after that everything went smooth as butter
    Did you set it up with hacktivation or did it just not work?
    2010-10-01 06:35 AM
    Snowbreeze works for me , I am at 4.1 and unlocked. The only thing is the signal is lower in IOS 4.1 than in IOS 4.0
    2010-10-01 06:36 AM
    Snowbreeze works for me , I am at 4.1 and unlocked. The only thing is the signal is lower in IOS 4.1 than in IOS 4.0
    Is it worth making the move? Maybe I'll do it.....
    2010-10-01 06:39 AM
    Hm yes I see it is very much user error (isn't it always? Lol) that spirit2pwn will brick the phone. If you've got the right specs and the right knowledge, things usually work out fine and in your case it did. Congrats!
    2010-10-01 06:40 AM
    Did you set it up with hacktivation or did it just not work?
    i used hacktivation... but itunes still wanted me to activate... and the phone kept saying waiting to activate... i dismissed those popups and just installed ultrasn0w. rebooted the phone. inserted my tmobile sim. and then it said the phone was activated.

signal isnt going to matter much because im stuck on edge anyways... but i think its just lower because they were trying to fix the issues with the phone showing a higher reception than the phone was actually getting. (from what i read on cnet)

Is it worth making the move? Maybe I'll do it.....
    i say its worth it... do it for hulu... and multitasking.

Hm yes I see it is very much user error (isn't it always? Lol) that spirit2pwn will brick the phone. If you've got the right specs and the right knowledge, things usually work out fine and in your case it did. Congrats!
    thanks! im glad i joined the forum. i just switched from android and i was basically pro modding and upgrading roms... iphone is a completely different beast. if i didnt ask for help, i would have seriously botched this phone worse than tara reids boobs (o)(0)
    Last edited by heyyyitsjordan; 2010-10-01 at 06:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-10-01 06:52 AM
    I'll make the move and try hacktivation. I've got a sim if it doesn't work. Report back in a few mins.
    2010-10-01 06:54 AM
    sn0wbreeze includes hacktivation...
    2010-10-01 06:59 AM
    I know, I'm going to test it since it didn't work for you.
    2010-10-01 07:01 AM
    boy get the **** out. and yes im referring to you Jordan.
    If 5.14.02 BB unlock is out enlighten us boy
    2010-10-01 07:09 AM
    You are right that baseband cannot be unlocked. Obviously though, it is possible to be at firmware 4.1 and unlocked (cos you've retained a lower baseband)
    2010-10-01 07:13 AM
    boy get the **** out. and yes im referring to you Jordan.
    If 5.14.02 BB unlock is out enlighten us boy
    first off... i take offense to you calling me boy... second... my OP says im using baseband 05.12.01... so as far as im concerned, with my phone and with anyone else on the same baseband running the old bootloader and is already jailbroken, yea... jailbreak and unlock works.

and for the record... google is great for finding out how to downgrade your baseband... boy.
    Last edited by heyyyitsjordan; 2010-10-01 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-10-01 07:25 AM
    Play nice please fellas. Everyone take a deep breath, all better.
    2010-10-01 07:59 AM
    I used snowbreeze in simple mode and it didn't hacktivate the phone. I also didn't like the custom icons so I just reinstalled with an expert mode snowbreeze firmware. It hacktivated this time.

Just syncing now, but all seems well..... will see what's new in 4.1 over 4.0 (probably nothing I'll use) Gamecentre???

UPDATE: Well, syncing didn't work properly, got errors during backup! I have restored back to 4.0, where I will remain until pwnagetool is updated.
    Last edited by eyeRobot; 2010-10-01 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-10-01 11:15 AM
64 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD