My Dad recently got his (old) iPhone 3g unlocked, and he said i could have it for my birthday if I wanted, otherwise he would just sell it. I told him I would consider it, and so here I am.

I have a 3 PAYG SIM, which allows free Windows Live Messenger all the time, without a top-up. If I were to use this SIM with the iPhone, and I downloaded the OFFICIAL WLM app, would this still apply? Only, 3 don't actually sell the iPhone 3g, only the 3GS and the 4.

Skype is also free on 3, and 3 SIMs only work in 3G phones, so the SIM will work, it is just the case of whether or not these will still be free.

Anyone shed any light on the subject?

Thanks in advance.
    2010-10-07 08:25 PM
    I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. If it's your dad's phone...have you considered trying it out and seeing if everything you want works?
    2010-10-07 08:32 PM
    Trying it out will be my next step, I only wanted to see if anyone could help me beforehand as I don't have that much credit to waste (if it doesn't work) ATM, and I have an issue with my top-up card also. If no-one can help then I will resort to that.

What was there not to understand? Was it the way I worded my problem, or do you just have no personal experience of the subject/network concerned?
    2010-10-07 09:39 PM
    You worded it fine, I just don't know what network you're talking about. I was just unsure cuz there's Skype in the app store on the iPhone and it's already free with free service as long as you have wifi and/or a data plan. So I wasn't too sure what you meant by your SIM having free Skype. Like is it included within your plan? Cuz the way Skype works on an iPhone is that it is a free service as long as you have access to wifi and/or a data plan.
    2010-10-07 10:17 PM
    3/Three is a network here where I live in the UK. They offer a pay-as-you-go service, which includes free Skype and Windows Live Messenger and 150mb of mobile internet. I'm not too worried about the Skype, only the WLM. With the phone I have at the moment (LG GW520), using the browser uses up your 150mb allowance of free mobile internet. Using the WLM application, however, does not. It doesn't use up your top-up credit or your free internet allowance.

I understand that you do not know of the network concerned, but can you see any reason why the WLM iPhone app should work any differently to the application that I have at the moment? The only thing that has me concerned is that the 3store do not actually sell the iPhone 3g, only the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4, and they only sell them on a contract. The contract may also, I believe, include completely free WLM as well, but I do not know for sure. It is because the iPhone was not originally designed to run on Three (as it was locked to O2), that I feel it may not be set up.

Thanks again.
    2010-10-08 01:18 PM
    Ok i see. I'm guessing their iPhones with a contract also has a larger data plan than 150MB. Probably because the iPhone is a smartphone which typically people use a bit of data on. Skype and WML on an iPhone uses data or WIFI, whichever is available to you. If you use your prepaid, it'll probably use up all your data if you aren't using WIFI. you should call and ask them figuratively if you got an iPhone with contract how does skype and wml work and does it draw off the data plan, which I think it likely will.
    2010-10-08 06:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD