User Tag List

I bought an iPhone 4 in NY last week and brought it to Israel. Its my first time owning an iPhone and since the phone is locked, I have to unlock it.

My questions are

1. Which program is best for unlocking the phone and which is the best for jailbraking 4.1, I have a mac?

2. I bought the phone locked with a AT&T contract, and if I can unlock the phone, I'm going to cancel the contract... Should I even activate the phone with the AT&T sim card, or just unlock it and then put in the Israeli sim card?

3. Is 1 GB a month for the interent plan enough for sending emails, faecbook, news all the basics?

Thanks in advance,
    Zevie
    2010-10-17 08:06 AM
    limerain or greenpoison are both fine for jailbreaking. You will need to use the AT&T card to activate the phone.

1GB of data is quite a lot, should be fine.

Bad news is that you will have to wait for a new unlock to become available before you can unlock that phone. It's being worked on, rumour mill suggests a wait of between 2-8 weeks.
    2010-10-17 08:36 AM
    Thanks, would you know how much it costs to cancel a AT&T contract, and would the price make a differnce if I activate it using AT&T or if I wait or unlock?

Is there a way to downgrade the phone to 4.0 and unlock?
    2010-10-17 08:58 AM
    I don't think that AT&T will unlock your phone for any money.

You can't downgrade the baseband on your phone so there is no possible way to unlock at present.
    2010-10-17 09:34 AM
    Sorry, I don't think I explained myself well enough.
    I wanted to know if AT&T would charge more to cancel the contract, if I activate the iPhone?
    2010-10-17 04:00 PM
    Sorry, I don't think I explained myself well enough.
    I wanted to know if AT&T would charge more to cancel the contract, if I activate the iPhone?
    I think you are going to be billed $200 for a early termination fee regardless if you use the at&t sim. Note if you do start using with at&t while in Israeli you will be raped with international data and roaming charges. So your 1 gig data plan through at&t does not count towards International usage.
    This post infers no rights and is provided as is.

Click here to follow me on twitter
    2010-10-17 04:05 PM
    Okay, thanks! I was actually referring to 1 GB of an Israeli data plan....
    2010-10-17 04:19 PM
    Okay, thanks! I was actually referring to 1 GB of an Israeli data plan....
    The old iphone contracts prior to the iphone 4 carried a cancellation fee of $175. When the Iphone 4 was launched and the new data contracts released they also increased the cancellation fee to $350.

To walk away from your contract it will cost you the $350 fee today irrespective of using the sim to activate it or not. Not really surprising there was a good business going of those who bought the phone on contract for $199 then canceled, paid the $175 and then sold it on Ebay for $450 - $500.
    2010-10-17 09:34 PM
    Woooahh! I think I'm still going to cancel the contract cause its still half the price, if you buy it in Israel... I jailbroke my iPhone using GreenPois0n... Anyone know the release date of the unlock now?

Thanks,
    Zevie
    2010-10-23 08:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD