Wasn't iOS released on 7 nov?
    2010-11-10 07:21 PM
    ^No. alpha, beta, charlie, delta ... are not offical releases. They are released to developers only!
    Last edited by Mes; 2010-11-10 at 07:54 PM.
    2010-11-10 07:52 PM
    as you all heard, ios 4.2 is coming out on friday so all 5.14.02 bb "users"(myself included) should see an unlock by sunday...
    2010-11-11 12:59 AM
    that's great news

but...

why can a baseband only be unlocked after an update (from 4.1 to 4.2 in this case)?

thanks
    2010-11-11 12:04 PM
    "cooked' of course
    borisn, unfortunately, you were not telling the full story. I did try the pwnage tool with my macbook, built a custom ipsw, didn't work out. Still my iphone 3gs with 4.1 / 05.14.02 bb is looked with the original operator.

I believe your way ONLY work if you didn't upgrade to 05.14.02 previously.

As of today, it's NOT possible .... yet.

Stay tuned for a new ultraxn0w after Apple releases 4.2.

BTW: iOS 4.2betaX, 4.2GM are not official Apple releases. Developers only.

Mes, you were right, it's NOT possible. Just doesn't worth the hassle.

Cheers.
    2010-11-11 03:57 PM
    that's great news

but...

why can a baseband only be unlocked after an update (from 4.1 to 4.2 in this case)?

thanks
    Maybe because the DEV team and those working on the unlock solution are going to need the update release in order to spend a day or two testing the unlock to make sure it is safe for us to utilize. This is very considerate of them and they worked too hard for not having to screw up everyones expensive gadgets.

Gosh people... How Many times do we have to hear everyone whining and being totally ungrateful over this whole thing! Just wait it out! It's only a couple or more days away.. Think of all the work they do to make this possible.. I suppose u know better right?!
    2010-11-11 04:43 PM
    cool
    Last edited by deemyboy; 2010-11-11 at 05:09 PM. Reason: not nice
    2010-11-11 05:06 PM
    ...why can a baseband only be unlocked after an update (from 4.1 to 4.2 in this case)?thanks
    This is INCORRECT! Earler basebands will continue to be unlockable.

Our dev-team is waiting until Apple releases 4.2 before releasing a jb and/or unlock (for anyhing new ). Please understand it is a timing issue - not an upgrade requirement.

Until the official release, apple can easily make minor changes to prevent jb'ing and/or unlocking.

Stay away from upgrading using official Apple 4.2 ipsw. If you decide to upgrade using a new jb/unlock tool for 4.2, my advice: create a custom firmware ipsw. Custom firmware will keep your old baseband . This is good!
    Last edited by Mes; 2010-11-11 at 05:33 PM.
    2010-11-11 05:19 PM
    .... my advice: create a custom firmware ipsw. Custom firmware will keep your old baseband . This is good!
    is that easy to do?

i'm just running a bog standard, never-been-'broken 3gs on 4.1 since like forever!

to be honest, as long as i can still use the app store and use it here in egypt with my egytian sim i'll be happy. i'm not bothered about getting free apps through cydia and stuff like that UNLESS there are other benefits to jailbreaking. (anyone?)

if not i'll wait till i'm back in the uk for that (mid-jan)

looking forward to selling my ol' brick htc tytn ii!
    2010-11-11 05:54 PM
    Jailbreaking is easy to do .... but truthfully, if you're happy then don't bother.

It takes a bit of time to understand the various 'terms' and methods. Without this info, IF there's a problem you could easy be lost.

I would stay away unless you have enough time to learn a lot more.

One more thing:
    Download Tiny Umbrella (Mac or Window), plug in your iDevice and SAVE ALL SHSH blobs. It harms nothing .... but saves important information you or a new owner might need for jb'ing.
    http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/
    Last edited by Mes; 2010-11-11 at 06:24 PM.
    2010-11-11 06:18 PM
    I would stay away unless you have enough time to learn a lot more.

One more thing:
    Download Tiny Umbrella (Mac or Window), plug in your iDevice and SAVE ALL SHSH blobs. It harms nothing .... but saves important information you or a new owner might need for jb'ing.
    The Firmware Umbrella - TinyUmbrella

cool - eeeeveerything takes time doesn't specially with an old head like mine

anyway, saved my SHSH's locally and on Cydia in case of trouble in the future

Q. do you have to do it just once or regularly, say once a month?

thanks
    2010-11-11 07:21 PM
    Well, I think you're safe. Cydia was designed to 'continue' to save future SHSH blobs once you've saved them the very 1st time. But like everything, failures/mistakes do happen. Re-running TU never hurts, especially after a new official release.
    2010-11-11 07:26 PM
    that's great news

but...

thanks
    i doesn't require an update...it's a cat&mouse game
    dev-team already unlocked bb 5.14.02 but they won't release the unlock to the public because the same unlock could work on the new bb(from ios 4.2)
    if dev-team would release the unlock now, apple will have a look at it and patch the base band, so dev-team would have to work for a new unlock
    even so, apple themselves could have found the exploit that dev-team found, but you never know...

get it?? it's just a game
    2010-11-14 06:02 PM
    i doesn't require an update...it's a cat&mouse game
    dev-team already unlocked bb 5.14.02 but they won't release the unlock to the public because the same unlock could work on the new bb(from ios 4.2)
    if dev-team would release the unlock now, apple will have a look at it and patch the base band, so dev-team would have to work for a new unlock
    even so, apple themselves could have found the exploit that dev-team found, but you never know...

get it?? it's just a game
    PURE GENIUS!

a clear, concise and simple answer.

but... what if 4.2 uses the same baseband?
    2010-11-14 07:33 PM
    PURE GENIUS!

a clear, concise and simple answer.

but... what if 4.2 uses the same baseband?
    i don't think it uses the same baseband...some devs said what baseband is installed on ios 4.2
    if it were to use the same baseband, then you could safely upgrade to ios 4.2, jailbreak it(if possible) and install ultrasn0w to unlock since the fact that they didn't change the baseband means that it has the same exploit that ultrasn0w uses.
    but like i said...ultrasn0w won't be released before ios 4.2 for the simple reason that the new baseband may have the same exploit.
    2010-11-19 11:53 PM
    ok.

a few questions;

1. when was 05.14.02 introduced?
    2. has it EVER been unlocked?
    3. if yes, can we use that unlock for now?
    then....
    4. use the new unlock when they upgrade the baseband in 4.2

also.

is all of the below correct please?

to make a custom firmware so you can preserve your "unlocked" base-band do you first have to wait for the "unlock"?

so is this the correct order

1. jailbreak your i'
    2. unlock it using ultrasn0w (once it is released)
    3. create a custom firmware using pwnage tool
    4. upgrade using iTunes
    Last edited by deemyboy; 2010-11-20 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-11-20 11:43 AM
    1. With standard apple 4.1 ios
    2. No
    3. ----
    4. Maybe yes, maybe no. NO one knows for sure because Apple has not released the official 4.2.1 (or whatever the new firmware will be).

Note to #2 & #4: We are aware of the unlock for the 4.1 firmware baseband (5.14.x) coming. Not for 4.2.x. Maybe we get real lucky

IF you keep the baseband low, upgrade firmware YES, but not baseband (requires custom firmware), then you will win this cat and mouse game.

Correct order:

1. Create custom firmware with Pwnage or Sbowbreeze.
    2. Also using PT/SB put device into DFU mode.
    2+. See conditions below.
    3. Using iTunes, shift/click restore, select custom firmware from PT/SB.
    4. Watch and wait.
    5. Load ultrasn0w

Note: depending upon the firmware version you are loading and specific phone, Tiny Umbrella may also be required between steps 2 and 3.

Apple combines firmware update AND baseband update into ONE single update. Custom firmwares separate the two and remove the baseband update.
    Last edited by Mes; 2010-11-20 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-11-20 11:52 AM
    1. With standard apple 4.1 ios
    2. No
    3. ----
    4. Maybe yes, maybe no. NO one knows for sure because Apple has not released the official 4.2.1 (or whatever the new firmware will be).

Note to #2 & #4: We are aware of the unlock for the 4.1 firmware baseband (5.14.x) coming. Not for 4.2.x. Maybe we get real lucky

IF you keep the baseband low, upgrade firmware YES, but not baseband (requires custom firmware), then you will win this cat and mouse game.

Correct order:

1. Create custom firmware with Pwnage or Sbowbreeze.
    2. Also using PT/SB put device into DFU mode.
    2+. See conditions below.
    3. Using iTunes, shift/click restore, select custom firmware from PT/SB.
    4. Watch and wait.
    5. Load ultrasn0w

Note: depending upon the firmware version you are loading and specific phone, Tiny Umbrella may also be required between steps 2 and 3.

Apple combines firmware update AND baseband update into ONE single update. Custom firmwares separate the two and remove the baseband update.
    ^thanks for the instructions

now....

can you give a link to any custom firmware building tutorials please?
    2010-11-20 12:22 PM
    2010-11-20 12:33 PM
    guys stop spamming the forum....
    2010-11-22 01:11 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD