Iím a newbie in unlocking the iPhone. Someone just gave me the 3G iPhone. Could you please point me in a good direction to unlock it.

Here I have some questions :
    1. Whatís the best program to unlock the 3G iphone ? And where can I get that file ?

2. Before unlocking, should I upgrade the iPhone firmware to the latest one (4.2?) ?

3. Whatís important things to note during the whole process of unlocking ?

Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
    2010-10-26 09:06 PM
    What you should do first is find out what firmware and baseband you have. Go to settings.. general.. about.. look at "version number" and "Modem Firmware" and report back
    2010-10-26 09:17 PM
    What firmware is your iPhone currently on? If it's on 4.1 and your baseband (you can check by going to Settings > General > About > Modem Firmware) is 5.14.02, I'm afraid you won't be able to unlock the phone.

If it's not on that baseband, you'll need to be jailbroken and then install ultrasn0w. But I'll need to know your firmware version in order to give that information.

Edit: Darn you Poseidon!

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    2010-10-26 09:20 PM
    What firmware is your iPhone currently on? If it's on 4.1 and your baseband (you can check by going to Settings > General > About > Modem Firmware) is 5.14.02, I'm afraid you won't be able to unlock the phone.
    this kinda answers my question in my thread, i have baseband 5.14.02 but iOS 3.1.3, is the baseband why i can't unlock this thing???
    2010-10-26 10:08 PM
    Looks like someone downgraded the firmware hoping it would also downgrade the baseband. You can't unlock... sorry.
    2010-10-26 10:16 PM
    My 3G iPhone version is: 3.1.3 (7E18). My modem firmware is 05.12.01.

With those, do you think that I can unlock it ?
    If yes, could you please tell me what to do next. Btw, I'd like to update to OS4, is it possible ?

Thank you very much for your help.
    2010-10-27 12:48 AM
    Get F0recast from iH8sn0w.com

If it tells you you have bootloader 5.8, you can downgrade the baseband and unlock. If you have any other bootloader, then you can't do that.

My 3G iPhone version is: 3.1.3 (7E18). My modem firmware is 05.12.01.

With those, do you think that I can unlock it ?
    If yes, could you please tell me what to do next. Btw, I'd like to update to OS4, is it possible ?

Thank you very much for your help.
    Sorry, didn't see this before I posted. Yes that baseband is unlockable. In order to upgrade, you'll use custom firmwares. Create one for 4.1 with Sn0wbreeze. You can unlock with ultrasn0w after restoring to the custom firmware you created.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-10-27 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-10-27 12:59 AM
    Since I'm such a newbie in this, here I try to name all the steps that I should do to unlock 3G. Please correct me if I'm wrong, or your input will be helpful.

1. Update iPhone version to 4.1.

2. Jailbreak the phone, with Sn0wbreeze or Pwnage ?

3. Launch Cydia app on iPhone, and get UltraSnow

4. Install UltraSnow in iPhone

Do I miss anything ? Is there anything that I have to pay attention to ?

Thank you very much.
    2010-10-27 03:45 AM
    No, don't update. Create the custom firmware with Sn0wbreeze (Windows) or PwnageTool (Mac) and restore to the custom firmware you made. Then unlock with ultrasn0w from Cydia.
    2010-10-27 04:49 AM
    Hello I need some HELP!

Although my iphone can not be unlocked at the moment due to its baseband (5.14.02) I would like to know if there exist a way to unlock an iphone that is not via ultrasnow. I ask because my wifi does not work, so it will be impossible to download the package through the phone. Any suggestions?!?!?

Thanks!!!
    2010-10-27 05:30 AM
    Hello I need some HELP!

Although my iphone can not be unlocked at the moment due to its baseband (5.14.02) I would like to know if there exist a way to unlock an iphone that is not via ultrasnow. I ask because my wifi does not work, so it will be impossible to download the package through the phone. Any suggestions?!?!?

Thanks!!!
    Sorry, there is no unlock tool for baseband 05.14.02. You have to wait a month or two.
    2010-10-27 06:08 AM
    I had the same problem but after I did this, my wifi was ok. From the Home Screen, I clicked on "Settings". From there, I scrolled down to "General" and clicked on it. From there, I scrolled to the bottom, clicked "Reset", then "Reset Network Settings". After accepting the warning that I was doing something dangerous and clicking the giant red button, the iPhone started buzzing and shaking and generally throwing a fit. After it was done getting reset, I simply went back into Settings -> Wifi, saw my network, connected and it worked!

I had the same problem but after I did this, my wifi was ok. From the Home Screen, I clicked on "Settings". From there, I scrolled down to "General" and clicked on it. From there, I scrolled to the bottom, clicked "Reset", then "Reset Network Settings". After accepting the warning that I was doing something dangerous and clicking the giant red button, the iPhone started buzzing and shaking and generally throwing a fit. After it was done getting reset, I simply went back into Settings -> Wifi, saw my network, connected and it worked!

Hello I need some HELP!

Thanks!!!
    Last edited by mimi760706; 2010-10-27 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-10-27 07:46 AM
    the iPhone started buzzing and shaking and generally throwing a fit.
    2010-10-27 09:57 AM
    No, don't update. Create the custom firmware with Sn0wbreeze (Windows) or PwnageTool (Mac) and restore to the custom firmware you made. Then unlock with ultrasn0w from Cydia.
    It seems that the most important step is the "jailbreak" with Sn0wbreeze. I'm not sure if I understand you correctly. Could you please elaborate a bit more on "create the custom firmware with Sn0wbreeze" and "restore to the custom firmware".

I've found Sn0wbreeze in vain in the 'Download' section, do you know where I can download it ?
    2010-10-27 04:42 PM
    Sn0wbreeze from ih8sn0w.com

If you get Sn0wbreeze it's pretty straightforward. Just open the program, select a stock 4.1 ipsw (get it from
    Felixbruns.de) then follow the directions to creating a custom fw. If you don't have an official carrier's SIM, go into expert mode in sn0wbreeze and in the menu, select "activate".

If you're having trouble understanding, I'd suggest Googling a Sn0wbreeze guide.

You'll create the custom fw then shift+restore to it in iTunes. Restoring to a custom fw is the jailbreaking process basically.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-10-27 at 05:21 PM.
    2010-10-27 05:14 PM
    hi, i unlocked my phone put my tmobile sim card in and i'll get my tmobile signal then it'll start searching then say no service, what do i need to do to keep that tmobile signal?
    2010-10-27 09:27 PM
    Sn0wbreeze from ih8sn0w.com

If you don't have an official carrier's SIM, go into expert mode in sn0wbreeze and in the menu, select "activate".
    Beside the 'active iPhone' feature, should I select the 'Enable native multitasking' feature ? I've heard this will slow down the 3G iPhone a lot, right ?

How about other features (background wallpaper, battery %, make ISPW Nor) ?
    2010-10-27 11:16 PM
    It's up to you. It slows down my iPod touch 2G, which used to be faster than my iPhone 3G. So I'd imagine it would slow down the the 3G. You can go ahead and enable it, if you don't like it, just make a new custom fw and disable the features.
    2010-10-27 11:46 PM
    Hi, i have followed all instructions to jailbreak an iphone 3g 3.1.3 BB 05.12.01, i keep getting the error 1604 and now it wont even open up it keeps saying connect to I tunes and then wants me to restore. can i restore and update to 4.2 and jailbreak and unlock it using redsnow? have seen so much information i have completely confused myself.
    2011-02-05 05:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD