For that "price", u might as well sell it and get an unlocked one from there. All unlocks come from apple. Carriers unlock iPhones by sending a request to apple, apple doesn't do direct unlocks, only through carriers. So for someone to send a request to apple would be a huge risk because apple would be in on it, and the amount you'll have to pay him might even be enough to buy yourself another iphone
    2010-11-18 03:53 AM
    Some guy from one of those shops told me that if they submit an imei number, it doesn't get checked by apple, it goes right into a server which tells my iTunes that it's simlock as been removed.

But you're telling me that every imei submitted to apple is hand checked by an apple employee??
    Who the hell thanked me? And why?????
    2010-11-18 04:04 AM
    I think I can help since I have read about this....AT&T does not offer factory unlock to most people. AT&T will offer factory unlock to their customers with roaming/worldwide telephone service plans and if they have been customers for a long time. AT&T and Apple wether a list of unlocked phones by serial number or they have the corresponding code to the IMEI of the phone. Really it is tough to factory unlock it yourself. The only way of getting a
    Factory unlocked phone is getting from carriers that do not lock the iPhone to their carrier. The bad part is that the iPhones are more expensive. The stores sell them for about $1,000 USD so it's not a good deal unless your a great eBayer. Also Apple's contract with AT&T will expire before the iPhone 5 is released so the iPhone 5 may be for another carrier and maybe not even locked. You should wait and see for that.
    2010-11-18 04:12 AM
    Good Luck!
    2010-11-18 04:12 AM
    Never said they're checked by an employee, but they know what carrier each imei is assigned to, so I doubt it would be possible to bypass that. But hey, if the guy at the shop says he can do it then let him try. If it works, u can come back and rub it in my face.

@slayoxus, they're unlock policy doesn't apply for the iPhone
    2010-11-18 04:18 AM
    No, the shops offer almost every carrier, exept AT&T. They all claim it's coming soon but I really doubt it. So I can't rub it in your face cause they can't do it.

But if apple knows which imei is assigned to which carrier, how come shops like this can unlock all these carriers. Wouldn't it just be the same in this case?
    2010-11-18 04:24 AM
    No because all the other carriers are not in USA and they allow unlocking...USA is probably the only country that has the iPhone exclusively on a carrier, that's why don't want it unlocked. In most countries iPhone is available on more than 1 carrier so it makes sense to unlock it, but in the US, you won't receive support for iPhone from anyone except AT&T.

In short words, apple has a contract with AT&T which says that they can't unlock their iPhones. So if it happens, apple may get sued, which is why it's in their best interest to make sure it never happens

But yea, they might allow unlocking once they stop being an exclusive carrier, but that probably won't be anytime soon
    2010-11-18 04:29 AM
    Not completely true, here in the Netherlands, T-Mobile is the only carrier who sells the iPhone, it has been for 2.5 years and at the end of this month, they loose the exclusive contract. But, they did and do offer an official unlock. So even wcxclusive carriers can offer an unlock.

I tried it with them, but because I don't use T-Mobile (it sucks), they won't do it for me and they claim that they can see that it's not a Dutch iPhone.
    2010-11-18 04:35 AM
    NEVER unlocked is my primary reason for hating AT&T (and to some extent Apple).

I sincerely hope one of these days enough users will band together in a class action lawsuit and force a change.

In San Diego, CA a woman was just granted class-action status against Apples for refusal to allow prior-firmware restores.

Companies can create almost any policy they desire, it takes 'strength in numbers' to challenge the giants.
    2010-11-18 05:05 AM
    I hear that, And I second that....
    2010-11-18 06:01 AM
    If you go to the regular tmobile USA site and on the search you type in iPhone they give you stuff on iPhone data plans and apn settings and all of that. Not sure if this is off topic. But since the US doesnt have exclusivity to the iPhone it is kind of ironic.
    2010-11-18 06:08 AM
    I have no idea what to do with that information.....
    2010-11-18 06:37 AM
    AT&T does not unlock iPhones for long standing customers. I have been with AT&T for almost a decade and they outright refuse the unlock for me. I am not even sure they have an unlocking protocol in place. Hence the reason I have an iPhone jailbroken/unlocked for my traveling needs.
    2010-11-19 01:10 PM
    I have no idea what to do with that information.....
    I'm just saying because they don't have iPhone in US and yet they have iPhone topics.
    2010-11-19 01:51 PM
    AT&T does not unlock iPhones for long standing customers. I have been with AT&T for almost a decade and they outright refuse the unlock for me. I am not even sure they have an unlocking protocol in place. Hence the reason I have an iPhone jailbroken/unlocked for my traveling needs.
    +1
    2010-11-19 02:57 PM
    I'm just saying because they don't have iPhone in US and yet they have iPhone topics.
    They have a dedicated section in their company to handle the iPhone activations on their network for the people that unlock an iPhone and sign up with them. It will be easy for them to convert to a legit iPhone setup once they officially receive the iPhone on their network. And they probably will once the exclusive agreement with AT&T ends.
    2010-11-19 04:02 PM
    Pure "Apple-Communism" - thou shalt not have any other vendors!

This steams me, my property, not on contract and they disable it. Hope we can get an equivalent class-action lawsuit going in Canada!

In the meantime, don't buy any more of their products and send them emails, call their expresslane service and register complaints.
    Last edited by jmanng; 2010-11-19 at 06:17 PM. Reason: spelling
    2010-11-19 06:16 PM
    They have a dedicated section in their company to handle the iPhone activations on their network for the people that unlock an iPhone and sign up with them. It will be easy for them to convert to a legit iPhone setup once they officially receive the iPhone on their network. And they probably will once the exclusive agreement with AT&T ends.
    Yeah I'm hoping. I would love that.
    2010-11-20 08:57 PM
    I am an ex Att employee and they can unlock any phone other than the iphone.
    2010-11-22 01:19 AM
    Yea its not even an option
    2010-11-22 01:23 AM
65 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD