-IGNORE ALL OF THIS UNTIL EDIT- (or highlight to read if you really want to laugh)

Well, I have finally broken down and made an account here. This will probably be one of many posts. Been lurking on and off for a while and really enjoy the community!

Anyways. Here is what's up.

I just realized I need to confirm what the phone is, that might be my problem. I don't know how to tell the difference between a 3g and a 3g S. I'm really hoping that is what it is. If not then I can continue on in more detail but here is the basics. (edit: Just kidding it's 8gb so it is a 3g. Right?)

Received free iPhone from friend, I know nothing about them. Decided I would downgrade it to 3.1.3 from 4.2 so it would be faster. I only wanted to use it as a wi-fi device since I am afraid if I put my SIM in I will be charged untold amounts of money when it decides to use something 3g or 2g.

So I downgrade and all goes well until I realize "CRAP, i have to somehow activate this." So I go back to google, and decide to try Pwnagetool. Everything goes well until I get to selecting the .ipsw. I Browse, Select.. and it is the "wrong firmware bundle".

I have gone through a ton of forums, help sites, etc.. used search. But, everyone seems to have figured it out, and when I try what they did no such luck.

So, if I have missed some thread and you can point me in the right direction. It can be an "easy fix".

I also have the same problem with redsn0w. I have tried several versions that various sites have said should work. mostly in the 9.x I think. but none of them have, I have stopped trying to remember numbers at this point.

Been about 4 1/2 hours of various attempts.

Baseband: 05.15.04-6.4_M3S2
    If that helps.

Another option would be, to just update through iTunes legit, and go from there. I think it takes it back to 4.2.

EDIT:

Seems like he messed it up when he accidentally updated to 4.2 and changed his baseband.

but there seems to be some way to use it with the ipad baseband.

I dont plan on using anything but custom firmware. I also have no desire for a GPS. So is it a good idea to just go ahead and do this? updating it back to 4.2 atm

Is this the best solution?
    Last edited by stpow; 2011-06-23 at 09:35 AM. Reason: I'm a moron.
    2011-06-23 08:48 AM
    If you want it unlocked, flashing to iPad 6.15.00 is the ONLY solution.
    Your PwnageTool problem is you need to use PwnageTool 3.x for 3.1.3 firmware.

There actually is an 8GB 3GS. It's the newest "budget" 3GS, actually. You can tell a 3G from the 3GS by the model number in the General -> About menu, the presence of the compass app in 3GS only, or if the writing on the back is chrome (3GS) instead of gray (3G).
    2011-06-23 06:42 PM
    -IGNORE ALL OF THIS UNTIL EDIT- (or highlight to read if you really want to laugh)

Well, I have finally broken down and made an account here. This will probably be one of many posts. Been lurking on and off for a while and really enjoy the community!

Anyways. Here is what's up.

I just realized I need to confirm what the phone is, that might be my problem. I don't know how to tell the difference between a 3g and a 3g S. I'm really hoping that is what it is. If not then I can continue on in more detail but here is the basics. (edit: Just kidding it's 8gb so it is a 3g. Right?)

Received free iPhone from friend, I know nothing about them. Decided I would downgrade it to 3.1.3 from 4.2 so it would be faster. I only wanted to use it as a wi-fi device since I am afraid if I put my SIM in I will be charged untold amounts of money when it decides to use something 3g or 2g.

So I downgrade and all goes well until I realize "CRAP, i have to somehow activate this." So I go back to google, and decide to try Pwnagetool. Everything goes well until I get to selecting the .ipsw. I Browse, Select.. and it is the "wrong firmware bundle".

I have gone through a ton of forums, help sites, etc.. used search. But, everyone seems to have figured it out, and when I try what they did no such luck.

So, if I have missed some thread and you can point me in the right direction. It can be an "easy fix".

I also have the same problem with redsn0w. I have tried several versions that various sites have said should work. mostly in the 9.x I think. but none of them have, I have stopped trying to remember numbers at this point.

Been about 4 1/2 hours of various attempts.

Baseband: 05.15.04-6.4_M3S2
    If that helps.

Another option would be, to just update through iTunes legit, and go from there. I think it takes it back to 4.2.

EDIT:

Seems like he messed it up when he accidentally updated to 4.2 and changed his baseband.

but there seems to be some way to use it with the ipad baseband.

I dont plan on using anything but custom firmware. I also have no desire for a GPS. So is it a good idea to just go ahead and do this? updating it back to 4.2 atm

Is this the best solution?
    It sounds like it's a iphone 3G, considering you mentioned 4.2.1 whereas a 3GS would be on 4.3.3 already.

Since you already updated the baseband to the latest version possible (u mentioned 5.14, right?), and since you seemed to have restored a few times (so you don't have any important data you need to back up), i would recommend you use itunes and restore to stock (the 'normal' firmware from apple) 4.2.1.

The next part is what i'm confused at. do you want to use the iphone like an ipod touch, with ONLY wifi, or do you want to use it on another carrier, unlocked? the problem with using the iphone on another carrier is that they will FORCE you to have a data plan. (at least this happened to me, on ATT, and i heard others will too) if you do not want to pay for data, do not put your sim card into the iphone!

if you only want to use it like an ipod touch, use redsn0w and hacktivate install. you can keep it at version 4.2.1 or you can use tinyumbrella and, god willing that you have the iOS 3 SHSHs, go back to a version of iOS 3.... afterwards SAM activate your phone so you can have push/youtube. google anything you don't understand.

If you want to ipad unlock it, use redsn0w and install the ipad baseband, then follow the previous steps and install SAM. you WILL lose your gps, though, and if you put in another sim you will be forced onto a data plan.
    2011-06-23 08:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD