I unlocked a 3G with 4.2.1 and the most recent ultrasn0w.
    I noticed when it was done there was an ultrasnow "carrier" toggle in the settings of my phone that was set to auto.
    for giggles i played with it and tried to manually select a carrier but it said "can not load network list" so i left it alone and hti home. I then placed both my SIM and my girls SIM in the phone to test it would get any signal.
    Both sims are ATT but the person its going to will be Tmob. The ATT sims worked fine but I went in to the settings again and noticed the carrier toggle was GONE. Did the phone just decide to leae itsef on ATT for good?
    If I place the Tmob sim in it will it automatically find itself. I dont know because Its iffy if Ill even get my hands on the SIM before i can pass off the phone.

thanks
    2011-08-03 03:53 PM
    ...noticed the carrier toggle was GONE....
    Sounds a bit like an old or intermittent contact with the SIM. Remove & reinsert.

Setting Carrier to Auto or manual, both work with ultrasn0w
    2011-08-03 04:03 PM
    The toggle basically is just a switch to activate/deactivate ultrasn0w. You should be able to uninstall it just fine and ultrasn0w will still work. You will find it under the SBSettings or BossPrefs
    2011-08-03 04:07 PM
    i was trying to avoid installing bossprefs on this phone because people have a tendancy (even when i change the activation buttons) to find a way to get in and screw things up.
    plus I have noticed bossprefs causes some crashing occassionally.
    the toggle was there though even without the bossprefs installed.
    2011-08-03 04:11 PM
    True. Not sure what ihappy was talking about.

The Carrier toggle in Settings appears when a SIM is inserted.
    Actually it's not a toggle at all, but a menu selection
    Last edited by Mes; 2011-08-03 at 04:15 PM.
    2011-08-03 04:12 PM
    Its part of the Activator feature. The toggles all come part of it. But in Cydia there are seperate toggles for ultrasn0w under BossPrefs and SBSettings. Basically just add ons.

I thought this is what yall were talking about lol. My mistake.
    Last edited by ihappy; 2011-08-03 at 04:17 PM.
    2011-08-03 04:15 PM
    Ahh. An add-on. Never used it. I see no need since I don't change between AT&T and non-AT&T SIM.
    2011-08-03 04:17 PM
    Ahh. An add-on. Never used it. I see no need since I don't change between AT&T and non-AT&T SIM.
    I agree. I never had to mess with them either but I know they are there for whatever purpose.

As for the carrier toggle in settings. This usually always pops with any non official sim. It even pops up using a Gevey. I have never messed with it because I just felt I never needed to.

It wont show up with an ATT sim because it automatically recognizes the network as an official sim. This is also why ATT doesnt show cellular data network. It automatically picks it up.
    Last edited by ihappy; 2011-08-03 at 04:25 PM.
    2011-08-03 04:21 PM
    Selecting Settings/Carrier/Automatic .... or letting the iPhone search for available networks, then selecting the network associated with the SIM work the same way. If Carrier does not appear in Settings, the iPhone is not seeing the SIM.
    2011-08-03 04:24 PM
    I agree with what you're saying Mes I am simply stating that it wont show up when an ATT sim is present. For whatever reason. It will show up when anything but an ATT sim is placed inside.
    2011-08-03 04:28 PM
    got it
    weird because there was no sim when the toggle did show up.
    maybe it was a glitchy fluke.
    2011-08-03 04:30 PM
    ...It will show up when anything but an ATT sim is placed inside.
    Didn't know this. Interesting. AT&T hides even stuff that I thought

...weird because there was no sim when the toggle did show up.
    maybe it was a glitchy fluke.
    Maybe. In normal operation (I guess when not using an AT&T SIM) it's obvious. Remove the SIM and the carrier option goes away in Settings.
    Last edited by Mes; 2011-08-03 at 04:34 PM.
    2011-08-03 04:32 PM
    Yeah. Strange. See when I take out my activated ATT sim and place in a "No Service" att sim the carrier setting will show up for a few seconds and then disappear. I am assuming its looking for the network. When I take that sim out and place in my Tmobile sim the carrier setting shows up and stays.

I have tried this both on a device using Gevey and Ultrasn0w
    2011-08-03 04:37 PM
    ...... att sim the carrier setting will show up for a few seconds and then disappear....
    The default AT&T carrier bundle must be hiding it. Uggggg
    2011-08-03 04:39 PM
    The default AT&T carrier bundle must be hiding it. Uggggg
    You know what. I never thought of that.

You might be on to something there Mes
    2011-08-03 04:42 PM
    ^Since the 3.x days, I've created my own custom carrier bundles.
    Don't hide it from me I want to know what's going on inside.
    2011-08-03 04:44 PM
    I've actually only created custom carrier bundles for carriers besides ATT. I just felt I never needed to mess with ATT since it was official issue but what you said makes alot of sense
    2011-08-03 04:51 PM
    Got it. In addition to wanting to know the details, I travel internationally and need (want) everything set-up & pretty with the non-supported carriers I would use. I don't like using the 'Unknown' carrier bundle. Very bland and I forget the different entries to make data work
    2011-08-03 04:55 PM
    I don't like using the 'Unknown' carrier bundle. Very bland and I forget the different entries to make data work
    I agree. A few months ago I was in Sao Paulo and I didn't know any of the info to make data work on the carriers there.
    2011-08-03 05:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD