Hi, I recently purchased a 3GS on 4.2.1 BB 5.15.04 for my daughter with the intention of unlocking it via a 6.15.00 BB upgrade.

I'm attempting this with pwnagetool using links provided by "everythingapplepro" on YouTube

Where my problem arises is when transferring the iPhone firmware from my desktop to pwnagetool I get a message saying I have the incorrect firmware.

I currently have iTunes version 10.2.1.......... What am I doiNg wrong?

Your help is truly appreciated
    2011-08-25 02:00 AM
    Did you ensure the firmware version you created the cFW with is for 3GS and not for iPhone 4, or 3G?

You could also just run Redsn0w on the device to upgrade the baseband and jailbreak it. Just remember, if you don't know already, doing the iPad bb upgrade can break your GPS.
    2011-08-25 05:10 PM
    I have seen that warning before, I don't think it's really concern for me. The iPhone is for my 13yo daughter and will likely not have a data plan. Basically just an iPod touch w/a camera & phone built in.

Is redsn0w considerably more simple than pwnagetool?

The firmware I'm using is from iPod, iPhone and iPad Firmware Download It is labeled as iPhone 3GS (4.2.1/8C148a)

Also, it doesn't matter that the iPhone is already JB w/greenpois0n, does it? I was told by another individual that this can be performed over the top of the GP jailbreak.

Thank you for your response.
    2011-08-25 05:41 PM
    Oh, if it is jailbroken already then just run redsn0w on it. Be sure to only select to upgrade the iPad baseband with redsn0w and to not install Cydia with it. So yes you can just run redsn0w over the GP jailbreak.
    2011-08-25 06:09 PM
    OK, i really feel dumb now, I' 've never had a problem jailbreaking a phone before.

For some reason this baseband upgrade is kicking my tail.

Well what I'm dealing with now is in redsn0w, once I get to the point where you put the phone in DFU the process starts then goes to "waiting for reboot" and that's as far as it gets. I've tried this 10+ times and even left it on that screen for 5 hrs last night (while I slept). Any ideas?

BTW, i also upgraded my itunes to latest this morning. I hope thats not a problem. I wouldn't think so since itunes automatically closes when redsn0w is opened.
    2011-08-26 03:14 PM
    iTunes isn't the problem, I believe.

In redsn0w, you are selecting only the bb upgrade right?
    2011-08-26 03:51 PM
    Correct, only iPad BB upgrade
    2011-08-26 04:28 PM
    That's weird. I've seen it happen a couple times with others but I don't believe they resolved it.

Maybe custom firmware should be used if rs doesn't want to work for you. Well if possible, try another computer. If that doesn't work either, I'd suggest creating a custom FW with pwnagetool but try it with a stock FW in MMi's Downloads section. Also make sure the pwnagetool you're using is the version for 4.2.1
    2011-08-26 05:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD