Hello all,

I have a jailbroken + unlocked iPhone 3GS that I've been using for T-Mobile. Here's its details:

• Currently running 4.1
    • Old Bootroom - Bootloader 6.4
    • Modem Firmware: 05.13.04
    • Model: MC135
    • Saved SHSH's: 4.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2, 4.1, 4.2.1+, 4.3, 4.3.3, 4.3.5

I'd like to freshly restore the iPhone to safely delete all my personal data off of it, but I want to preserve the baseband so it can be continued to be used with T-Mobile (and not have to cripple the GPS, preferably).

Whatever firmware I can restore it to (based on the blobs) is of no concern, but the unlock is top priority. I haven't done an SHSH restore using TinyUmbrella before, and I'm not really clear what steps to take in the case of keeping the baseband at 05.13.04. Do you mind helping me shed some light on this?
    2011-09-19 12:58 AM
    My personal opinion, restore it to 4.2.1. To preserve the baseband, create a custom firmware for 4.2.1 with Sn0wbreeze (PwnageTool if you've got a Mac). Open TinyUmbrella, click Save SHSHs (if you haven't done it already before), start TSS Server, open iTunes, use Sn0wbreeze/PwnageTool to set your phone into pwned DFU mode, hold shift (option on Mac) click restore, and select the custom 4.2.1 you created. Do not accidentally select the stock 4.2.1 ipsw or you'll lose the unlockable baseband you have now.

So let's look at it in some basic steps:
    1) Create custom 4.2.1 ipsw
    2) Open TU, click Save SHSHs (if haven't done already)
    3) Start TSS Server
    4) Set device into pwned dfu mode
    5) Shift (option) + restore in iTunes
    6) Select custom 4.2.1 ipsw
    7) Go to Cydia and install Ultrasn0w to unlock again
    8) All done.

Edit: if you're using Sn0wbreeze the version you want is 2.2
    2011-09-19 01:22 AM
    +1 I totally agree. i.Annie provides excellent advise
    2011-09-19 02:49 AM
    Aw shucks You're not so bad yourself.
    2011-09-19 04:33 AM
    Ok, honest, I'm not dumb. I'm just confused.

I have a 3gs at os 3.1.3(7E18) with the modem firmware 05.12.01. I have managed to jailbreak and unlock and am able to connect to T-mobile. I've been using it like this for a year or so.

But I'm getting a lot of 'not compatible' issues. most recently, trying to connect to my kenwood ddx 616 stereo in my car. It won't let the phone charge while connected. I'm thinking if I upgrade the iphone OS it might fix that, as well as letting me run newer apps. Is there a step-by-step like you did here for bringing a 3gs up to the latest functional OS configuration?

Maybe I am dumb. I've been reading here for hours and can't seem to get my head around this...

Eric
    2011-09-20 04:19 PM
    Restore it to 4.1. To preserve the baseband, create a custom firmware for 4.1 with Sn0wbreeze (PwnageTool if you've got a Mac). Open iTunes, use Sn0wbreeze/PwnageTool to set your phone into pwned DFU mode, hold shift (option on Mac) click restore, and select the custom 4.1 you created. Do not accidentally select the stock 4.1 ipsw or you'll lose the unlockable baseband you have now.

1) Create custom 4.1 ipsw
    2) Open TinyUmbrella, go to advanced options, uncheck the box to point to Cydia on exit (if you don't have TU you don't need to do this step).
    3) Open iTunes
    6) Select custom 4.1 ipsw you created
    8) All done.

Edit: if you're using Sn0wbreeze the version you want is 2.1
    2011-09-20 06:19 PM
    Earlier today, when I was exploring, I ran tiny umbrella. And with my 3gs attached, I clicked 'Save SHSH'. The following appeared under Saved SHSHs for (my iphone):

iPhone3GS 4.1(8B117)
    iPhone3GS 4.2.1(8C148a)
    iPhone3GS 4.3(8F190)
    iPhone3GS 4.3/5(8L1)

Is that iPhone3GS 4.1 not the SHSH I need to restore with? I am under the impression that this came from Cydia as a useable image?
    2011-09-20 08:10 PM
    I'm not understanding the question. I was giving instructions based on someone not having SHSHs available. If you do and it seems like you do have them available, go to 4.2.1. Simply follow my instructions above that I wrote for the previous person for 4.2.1
    2011-09-20 11:17 PM
    Hi to all! Need some help please!
    I have Iphone 3GS, new boot device, 4.0.2 FW, baseband 05.13.04, SHSH saved for all FW.
    I want to upgrade to 4.2.1 of course preserving baseband. After that I need an unlock solution but I don't have sim to activate the phone.
    Is it necessary to activate the iphone before to use ultrasnow?
    2011-10-03 01:45 PM
    Edit: don't do what I just said. I read my own post wrong. I'll post up instructions later for 4.2.1
    2011-10-03 07:52 PM
    My personal opinion, restore it to 4.2.1. To preserve the baseband, create a custom firmware for 4.2.1 with Sn0wbreeze (PwnageTool if you've got a Mac). Open TinyUmbrella, click Save SHSHs (if you haven't done it already before), start TSS Server, open iTunes, use Sn0wbreeze/PwnageTool to set your phone into pwned DFU mode, hold shift (option on Mac) click restore, and select the custom 4.2.1 you created. Do not accidentally select the stock 4.2.1 ipsw or you'll lose the unlockable baseband you have now.

1) Create custom 4.2.1 ipsw
    2) Open TU, click Save SHSHs (if haven't done already)
    3) Start TSS Server
    6) Select custom 4.2.1 ipsw
    8) All done.

Edit: if you're using Sn0wbreeze the version you want is 2.2
    Thanks i.Annie! I know this is pretty late for a reply, but I'd like to report that I followed your steps exactly (used PwnageTool for 4.2.1 in this case) and the SHSH blob restore worked! The baseband is still 5.13.04 and ultrasn0w works perfectly!

Have a look for yourself:

2011-10-07 04:42 AM
    Awesome
    2011-10-07 04:45 AM
    Hey Annie, you really seem to know what you're talking about so I thought I would try my luck before screwing up my phone.

I have an iphone 3g that has been jailbroken and unlocked for some time now, running iOS 4.0 on Rogers with FW 5.13.04. The phone is really slow and I was hoping to restore it and upgrade/downgrade to a operating system that would be faster (still jailbreaking and unlocking afterwards)! Any help as to the procedure would be greatly appreciated, should I just follow the same steps as Mjolnir? I'm using a Mac.

Thanks!
    2011-10-11 07:19 PM
    It's slow bc it's on 4.0. You can either upgrade it to 4.2.1 or downgrade it to 3.1.3. The best performance can be achieved by downgrading to 3.1.3, however if you'd like to keep on iOS 4, 4.2.1 is the best choice of all the iOS 4 versions. So figure out what you want to do, downgrade or upgrade, then I can help you get there without messing anything up
    2011-10-11 07:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD