Need help with a new bootrom 3GS

It's on 5.13.04 and currently on 6.1.3 jailbroken and unlocked with ultrasn0w.

I've read this http://modmyi.com/forums/general/833...m-5-1-1-a.html and I updated my old bootrom 3GS but not the new one.

Here are my questions.

1.) Can 6.1.6 be unlocked with Ultrasn0w?

2.) Can I use Sn0wbreeze to jb?
    2014-06-16 07:41 PM
    Just out of curiosity, why would you want to upgrade from 6.1.3 to 6.1.6?
    2014-06-16 09:01 PM
    Two reasons

It's the last update so I thought I would be smart to get it

and my relatives phone has been a bit sluggish so I thought I'd be able to set it up as a new phone for her.

Do you not recommend the update? and why?
    2014-06-16 09:14 PM
    Well, I don't think, that update to 6.1.6 would bring you any advantage.....and also, as far as I know, Ultrasnow wont work on 6.1.6.
    Just maybe, since the phone became a bit sluggish, as you say, you could use iLexRat to clean the phone. Clean IOS and clean jailbreak. Of course, after that, you would have to install everything back manually, but I definitely think, that is the right way to go.
    Last edited by bbrks; 2014-06-16 at 09:28 PM.
    2014-06-16 09:26 PM
    I have heard about iLex Rat so maybe i will give that a try. Her phone is very slow.
    After using the tool do I have to re-unlock it?
    Thanks for the input.
    Last edited by Miz.Michele; 2014-06-16 at 10:01 PM.
    2014-06-16 09:49 PM
    I have heard about iLex Rat so maybe i will give that a try. Her phone is very slow.
    After using the tool do I have to re-unlock it?
    Thanks for the input.
    You will have to re-install ultrasn0w (and all other jailbreak tweaks, plus all apps, music, books, etc. through iTunes) if you choose the ultimate, clean-everything wipe. Fortunately, it's doable.
    2014-06-17 05:59 AM
    OK thanks but I've got an issue. Ilexrat would not work - kept getting various errors so I used semi restore. Bad move. It worked but the phone is totally hot and push notifications are not working - I tried resetting network setting to no avail.

Can I update to 6.1.6? and is it unlockable? My Mom needs the unlock so I don't want to totally screw up her phone. The BB is 5.13.04 and it is new bootrom.

Thanks
    2014-06-22 12:02 AM
    You can update to 6.1.6 and it is unlockable but it's a bit of a process. Snowbreeze doesn't support 6.1.6 so you'd have to restore to 6.1.6 which will upgrade your baseband. Then ideally you would activate it with a sim from the carrier it is locked to. Then use redsnow to jailbreak and to install iPad baseband. Then again to downgrade baseband back to 5.13.04. You're jailbreak will be tethered at this point so you'll have to use redsnow to boot tethered. Then install p0sixpwn from cydia to make it untethered. Then of course install ultrasnow to unlock.

You'd also have to make sure that your particular 3GS can install the iPad baseband as those made after week 29, 2011 (I think that's the date anyway) cannot install the iPad baseband. So doing the above would be a big No No for you.
    2014-06-22 06:08 AM
    Simon thanks a lot. I've upgraded to a 5C and the 3GS is for a family member so I am a little rusty. I did the process you mentioned above on a previous 3GS but it was an old bootrom and all was OK.

For this new bootrom 3GS it's still quite old. It's week 48 of I believe 2009 (80948TUN3NP). Ilexrat was a no go and the semi-restore messed up a lot of stuff but it was much faster overall so I know if I can restore that it will work better.

I've tried restoring to 6.1.3 the same version that the phone was on and I can't do it. Keeps throwing out errors when it verifies with apple. My host file has the gs.apple.com removed and I even tried on another computer that has itunes 10.6.3 but still got errors. I have the shsh blobs for 6.1.3 so I thought that I could restore even if it wasn't being signed because of the blobs but I guess not.

Is there a way to restore to 6.1.3? I'd be happy with that?

If that is not possible how do I know for sure if the new bootrom phone is able to take the ipad baseband?

If it can take the bb, then I would use redsn0w to go to 6.1.6 which would automatically change the bb to ipad and then go back in and downgrade the baseband, right? and then p0sixpwn and then ultrasn0w.

You mentioned to update and I just want to be sure because I thought that you should not update via itunes to a stock firmware ever but instead do it via redsn0w?

I guess the first thing I need to do is make sure that that I can install the ipad bb on this phone.

I was able to restore her phone to a previous backup so it's working just slow as you know what so I was trying to help her out.

Do you think this will work?

And if I royally mess up is it possible to downgrade to 5.1 or something?
    Last edited by Miz.Michele; 2014-06-22 at 09:06 AM.
    2014-06-22 09:01 AM
    To restore to 6.1.3 you can use iFaith. That may be the easier route for you, it will preserve your baseband. You will have to extract your 6.1.3 shsh form the device first, then make a custom signed 6.1.3 iFaith can do all that.
    2014-06-22 03:46 PM
    Thanks - that looks pretty easy. Once I restore to the custom firmware is the device jailbroken? I know I would need ultrasn0w - do I still need p0sixpwn?
    2014-06-22 06:36 PM
    No, won't be jailbroken. You'll have to use p0sixpwn to jailbreak again.
    2014-06-22 06:37 PM
    OK I did the ifaith. Will figure out the p0sixpwn and then unlock. Thanks.
    2014-06-22 08:10 PM
    2014-06-22 09:21 PM
    All done. What an ordeal. I used iFaith and p0sixpwn. I did not know that it was built into the jb - easier than last time. I did lose her contacts and photos. I have them in a backup but did not want to restore because of all the issues. So I backed up new new config, restored and saved my pics to the computer and the contacts to icloud and then restored to the good config and it all seems good.

Thanks for walking me through it.
    Last edited by Miz.Michele; 2014-06-23 at 01:57 AM.
    2014-06-22 09:55 PM
    2014-06-23 01:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD