I live outside the US and wanted to preorder an iPhone 6 online at the Apple site to be used on a GSM carrier.

There is an option for contract free T-Mobile at full price.

However, there have been numerous people saying that the contract free T-Mobile iPhone 6 is Unlocked when bought from the Apple On-line store.

Others are saying that it is locked to T-Mobile even though you are paying full price.

Some say that there is a difference between contract free and unlocked.
    And that contract free does not mean it is unlocked and will be locked to T-Mobile.

But yet I have found people saying that it has been the same in the past.
    That even though it only says contract free T-Mobile it IS unlocked as well.

Can someone please clarify since preordering is tonight.
    I would have to pre order the iPhone 6 and have it sent to a firends house in the USA and will not receive it till October 15.

So I basically would like to be sure it will indeed be unlocked to be used on my GSM carrier.

Thanks
    2014-09-12 02:41 AM
    Yes it is, for sure.
    2014-09-12 02:50 AM
    They are definitely unlocked as Blkcadi said. If you go to the pricing and configuration page and choose view source then click on network (this is in chrome btw) you can see the carrier policy of each of the options available. All of the T-Mobile ones have a carrier-policy saying "unlocked". On the other hand the ATT one for example has "locked" as its carrier policy.
    2014-09-12 03:18 AM
    Great!!

Got a question though and sorry for carrying it further but I'm a little afraid.

I was checking the Apple Online store and went through the process of "ordering" an iPhone 5S to see what comes up.
    When you get to the point of choosing carrier you also have two options under Unlocked and Contract free:
    1) T-Mobile, ships with a T-Mobile SIM
    2) SIM Free, requires GSM compatible SIM

iPhone 5s - Buy iPhone 5s in 16GB or 32GB - Apple Store (U.S.)

Now, when you go to the process of "pre-ordering" an iPhone 6 (even though you can't as of now) you only have one option when selecting full price:
    1)Contract Free T-Mobile

There is no option nor does it say unlocked as well.
    Or SIM free, requires GSM compatible SIM

iPhone 6 - Pre-order the new iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus. - Apple Store (U.S.)

Why is there a difference between ordering the iPhone 5S compared to the iPhone6?
    The iPhone 5S clearly states and has the requires GSM compatible SIM option.

The iPhone 6 leaves people (like me) wondering.
    Last edited by allanes5; 2014-09-12 at 03:31 AM.
    2014-09-12 03:28 AM
    That's how the 5s was last year at launch too for the US store. They didn't officially add the unlocked option to the process until about a month later. Trust me though the Tmobile ones were indeed unlocked at launch last year for the 5s. Got one myself.
    2014-09-12 03:35 AM
    Thanks guys!

I'll go ahead and try pre ordering two iPhone 6 today then!!!
    2014-09-12 03:48 AM
    I spoke to T-Mobile tonight. They told me that if you buy outright or sign up for the simple choice plan, they will unlock you iphone 6 as long as your activated at least 60 days.
    2014-09-15 07:27 AM
    Today Sept 19th was launch day.
    Has someone bought or received their pre order iPhone 6 from Apple On Line or Apple Store and can confirm that the non contract T-Mobilem iPhone 6 is in fact unlocked after all out of the box?
    Last edited by allanes5; 2014-09-19 at 10:15 PM.
    2014-09-19 10:02 PM
    Today Sept 19th was launch day.
    Has someone bought or received their pre order iPhone 6 from Apple On Line or Apple Store and can confirm that the non contract T-Mobilem iPhone 6 is in fact unlocked after all out of the box?
    I get mine Monday, but I can assure you that it is indeed factory unlocked. Says so on the Apple website also.
    2014-09-19 10:40 PM
    Seen a few people on Twitter receiving them and confirming they are unlocked.
    2014-09-19 11:26 PM
    I get mine Monday, but I can assure you that it is indeed factory unlocked. Says so on the Apple website also.
    blkcadi, can you please post here on Monday when you receive yours.

Im assuming you also bought a non contract T-Mobile and are gonna use it else where, right?

Please let me know your result on Monday for my peace of mind.

My friend in Miami received my two iPhones 6 today but Im not gonna get them till October 15, when he comes down here
    By then it would be too late to return them and I would be left with two U$700 paper weights!!
    2014-09-20 12:38 AM
    I think the post above yours from Simon also confirmed it. All contract free full price iPhones purchased for T-Mo are unlocked if they were purchased through the Apple Store online or at the store itself. No doubt.
    Last edited by Bo Troxell; 2014-10-05 at 10:51 PM.
    2014-09-20 01:29 AM
    Great to here!!

Thanks
    2014-09-20 02:05 AM
    Hi Simon. I received my new iPhone 6 on the 19th and have been on this forum in the past for my 5S and few other unlock issues. I was wondering if Cowboy is still up and running doing the unlocks and if he can do the iPhone 6 yet? I tried iDeviceguys.com and placed my order but was refunded in 10 days due to some delays but when I emailed Cowboy and told him I did not mind waiting, he never responded. Just curious if you know if he's still doing this or if there is anybody that is fairly reasonably priced doing the new iPhone 6's?????
    2014-10-05 10:16 PM
    I'm pretty sure Cowboy (iDeviceguys) is still working. There are many others also that offer this service too. A Google search will give you results. I found a few that charge $75.00 or less, and will guarantee or money back.
    Try contacting Cowboy on Twitter.
    2014-10-05 10:49 PM
    Well, after a long wait since launch day, I finally received my wife's and my iPhone 6.

Just like you guys said, the T-Mobile versions were unlocked and I can use them with no problem in Nicaragua.

So, just wanted to post how it all went and thank you guys one more time.
    2014-10-10 04:57 AM
    2014-10-10 06:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD