User Tag List

I received an unlock request number from AT&T after requesting an unlock on my iPhone 6 for international travel. I have previously received unlock numbers from AT&T on my iPhone 4 and 5, but only after my 2 year contract was up and I upgraded to a new phone. Both of those times I recall having to restore my phone completely before the phone was unlocked.

In the email that AT&T sent me no mention of a restore when using a non-AT&T SIM card. It simply states to put in a new SIM card and 'complete the setup process'. However, the instructions for using an AT&T SIM card stated that I need to erase and restore my phone.

Is restoring the phone actually necessary? I'm currently jailbroken on 8.4 and would prefer to keep it that way. I have the 8.4 ISPW downloaded. Is it possible to restore my phone and reinstall that firmware on my device to retain my jailbreak? I Know Apple is only signing 8.4.1 now, but wasn't sure if that only impacts downloading the firmware.

Any guidance would be appreciated. Thank you
    2015-09-30 04:01 PM
    Restore is only possible to the latest firmware Apple is signing. At the moment, you can only use 8.4.1, 9.0 and 9.0.1. So, restore to 8.4 will not work. Why don't you just insert a non ATT Sim and see if it works. If so, job done and you can stay on 8.4.
    2015-09-30 04:11 PM
    If you have to restore, "Cydia Impactor" tweak is the way to go. Works great.
    smaller sig.png
    2015-09-30 05:25 PM
    Was finally able to find a friend with a SIM card other than AT&T and it worked. So it appears as though I am unlocked. Thanks!

Why don't you just insert a non ATT Sim and see if it works. If so, job done and you can stay on 8.4.
    Did not know this tool existed, but from reading the description, it seems like this is exactly what I'd want to use when I go to sell the phone, but retain the jailbreak. Thank you for pointing it out to me. Have you used it before?

If you have to restore, "Cydia Impactor" tweak is the way to go. Works great.
    2015-09-30 08:54 PM
    Did not know this tool existed, but from reading the description, it seems like this is exactly what I'd want to use when I go to sell the phone, but retain the jailbreak. Thank you for pointing it out to me. Have you used it before?
    Yes, I have used it and it works awesome. Restores your device as new and preserves the jailbreak. A must needed tool for jailbreakers.
    smaller sig.png
    2015-09-30 08:59 PM
    So circling back to this thread... I was out of the country for the past two weeks and my phone was NOT able to use any other company's SIM cards outside of the US. Not sure why I'd be able to use a different carrier in the states without issue, but...

Does Cydia Impactor 'restore' the phone in the same way that actually restoring the phone does (minus the fact that it keeps the jailbreak)? AT&T says that in order to unlock the device it has to be restored. And while I wouldn't mind updating to Pangu's new iOS9 jailbreak, I only have a mac and do not have access to a Windows machine so I'll be staying on 8.4 for the time being.
    2015-10-23 02:12 AM
    So circling back to this thread... I was out of the country for the past two weeks and my phone was NOT able to use any other company's SIM cards outside of the US. Not sure why I'd be able to use a different carrier in the states without issue, but...

Does Cydia Impactor 'restore' the phone in the same way that actually restoring the phone does (minus the fact that it keeps the jailbreak)? AT&T says that in order to unlock the device it has to be restored. And while I wouldn't mind updating to Pangu's new iOS9 jailbreak, I only have a mac and do not have access to a Windows machine so I'll be staying on 8.4 for the time being.
    Impactor restores the phone as new and maintains the same iOS you were on, it allows you to jailbreak again. In other words, you will have to jailbreak again which in a non issue. It works great too I might add.
    smaller sig.png
    2015-10-23 02:37 AM
    Ah. So I need to rejailbreak it. Good to know. And thank you!

Impactor restores the phone as new and maintains the same iOS you were on, it allows you to jailbreak again. In other words, you will have to jailbreak again which in a non issue. It works great too I might add.
    2015-10-23 05:02 AM
    Well ****. I used Cydia Impactor, phone restored still on 8.4 Have been trying for the past two hours to re-jailbreak using PP on my Mac and cannot get passed step 2/8. The process simply stops. Have tried quitting the program, restarting the phone, etc. Nothing seems to be working. Now I'm no longer jailbroken. Grrrr!!!

I've read a number of other posts where people suggest restoring the phone from scratch and redoing the jailbreak. But how can I restore my phone to new without upgrading past 8.4? And why did I not have this problem last time I jailbroke my phone using PP?
    2015-10-24 06:21 AM
    Update. After 4 hours (can't believe I wasted that much time), I said f-it, downloaded iOS 9.0.2, used a friend's PC, and jailbroke my phone using Pangu. Not exactly what I wanted to do, but at least it worked. Now to reset everything as I had it and wait for the tweaks I used most to be updated for iOS9.
    2015-10-24 08:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD