Just thought i ask here...

I've seen a few guides a
    http://modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11682
    http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthr...g+applications
    http://modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11663
    bout moving the applications folder to the main media drive. I'm sure they work but i wouldn't know because i have no wi-fi and in result cannot connect using winSCP. Not because im afraid of command line.

Reason being i updated to 1.1.1 and now there's no space for anything just a few small apps and that's about it... uploaded *.png files to customize doesn't work cuz theres no space. I also keep getting low disk space warning....

Would be nice if someone made a guide or solution app that fixes this problem for the people that don't have a wi-fi connection so in effect cannot use winSCP or that sort.

Thanks in advance for someone who does fix this problem for me (and i'm sure others or having too)... I would love to see this in installer.app someday (soon i hope).
    Last edited by 808mp5; 2007-10-22 at 08:46 PM.
    2007-10-22 11:47 AM
    i would imagine that you might be able to login to the phone using iphoneinterface or iphuc and run the same commands as the guide says to run through ssh. i'm not positive on this, and i would try it myself but my iphoneinterface and iphuc are telling me i'm not jailbroken and don't show the root directory when i list it, and are instead showing the directories it shows when you are indeed not jailbroken. which is weird because i definitely am lol.

if you can use the cp and the rm commands through iphoneinterface or iphuc then you should be able to still do this. just a guess though. the worst that would happen would be that the commands won't be able to even run.
    Peter: "Brian! There's a message in my alphabits! It says 'OOOOOOOOO'!!!!!"
    Brian: "Peter...those are Cheerios."

Guides:
    Moving Applications into the Media Partition to get more space for third party apps
    2007-10-22 07:53 PM
    i tried iphoneinterface.exe and iphuc... theres no commands for creating the symlink "i think:
    i tried typing help in both programs and theres nothing in the list i find that is useful to complete my goal of moving apps
    2007-10-22 08:33 PM
    i think you can run the commands thru terminal on the phone.
    2007-10-22 08:45 PM
    terminal? is that the app thats in installer? if so i will give it a whirl.
    but wouldn't this be a problem if it was... since im running an app "terminal" moving it wouldn't be possible becuase it is running?
    2007-10-22 08:49 PM
    good idea, i didn't think about that. i'll give it a shot as well, and see what happens.
    Peter: "Brian! There's a message in my alphabits! It says 'OOOOOOOOO'!!!!!"
    Brian: "Peter...those are Cheerios."

Guides:
    Moving Applications into the Media Partition to get more space for third party apps
    2007-10-22 08:55 PM
    im not entirely sure if that will work... dont blame me if u mess ur phone up.

in this guide it looks it could be done on the phone.

but in this guide it looks like you need to edit fstab (?) which would need to be done on a computer.

and heres yet another guide that looks like a computer would not be required.

i dunno what to tell you, i think using a computer would be a bit safer.
    Last edited by fred777; 2007-10-22 at 09:04 PM.
    2007-10-22 08:59 PM
    im not entirely sure if that will work... dont blame me if u mess ur phone up.

in this guide it looks it could be done on the phone.

but in this guide it looks like you need to edit fstab (?) which would need to be done on a computer.

and heres yet another guide that looks like a computer would not be required.

i dunno what to tell you, i think using a computer would be a bit safer.
    it's all good.. i messed up my phone many of times... thought i even bricked it once cuz it wouldn't let me restore for nothing... ran apptap and then everything was fine. Hey that's the same three guides i linked in the first post lol...
    2007-10-22 09:11 PM
    it's all good.. i messed up my phone many of times... thought i even bricked it once cuz it wouldn't let me restore for nothing... ran apptap and then everything was fine. Hey that's the same three guides i linked in the first post lol...
    haha, yea - i was just refering back to them.

anyway after actually reading thru them, im almost positive a computer will be necessary.

i might actually do this cuz i just now got the low space warning. wierd.
    1.1.1 is a pain...
    2007-10-22 09:14 PM
    well at school now so i have some wi-fi access... now my question is what is the new password and username to login to winscp... it's different from 1.0.2
    2007-10-22 11:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD