What problem are you guys having? You can't get minicom to work?

From http://iphonesofts.com/:

I get errors when using minicom

minicom: cannot open /dev/tty.baseband: Resource busy

See Resource busy question above

minicom: WARNING: configuration file not found, using defaults

minicom: cannot open /dev/modem: No such file or directory

You probably forgot to upload minirc.dfl to /usr/local/etc/. You could also just start minicom with "minicom -s" and change serial port to "/dev/tty.baseband" manually.
    2007-10-31 12:07 AM
    What problem are you guys having? You can't get minicom to work?

From http://iphonesofts.com/:
    I have checked my file drectories, but I could only find /usr/local/. In this subdirectory there is only a bin file or bin subdirectory. I cannot find usr/local/etc/

Is there anyting wrong with my system? How can I repair it?

Thanks.

Paul
    2007-10-31 02:36 AM
    I have checked my file drectories, but I could only find /usr/local/. In this subdirectory there is only a bin file or bin subdirectory. I cannot find usr/local/etc/

Thanks.

Paul
    Hi dalton voss and Eurisko:

Any more input please? I relaly need to get ths up and running asap.

Thanks, Buddies.

Paul
    2007-11-01 07:02 PM
    Hi dalton voss and Eurisko:

Any more input please? I relaly need to get ths up and running asap.

Thanks, Buddies.

Paul
    Hey man,

Sorry, I am not sure! I have never used minicom and I am at work without a Mac - maybe Eurisko can shed some light on the situation?
    2007-11-01 07:29 PM
    Hi guys, "minirc.dfl" is minicom's configuration file, it's usually installed with Minicom. If you guys are missing, I can upload it when I get home. In the meantime, you can bypass this requirement by entering: minicom -s /dev/tty.baseband and then save that as the configuration file. (it's best to do this from your computer, because iPhone's terminal can be tricky to navigate).

Once the configuration is saved, you'll be able to enter the AT commands.

PS: For those of you who don't have /usr/local/etc, just create it...

# cd /usr/local
    # mkdir etc
    2007-11-01 07:51 PM

Thanks.

Paul
    I had the same problem...
    I simply created the directory using winSCP, placed the file there (in text mode) and followed the rest of the instructions.
    2007-11-01 09:38 PM
    I had the same problem...
    I simply created the directory using winSCP, placed the file there (in text mode) and followed the rest of the instructions.
    I have installed BSD subsystem using ibrickr, with winscp, I created a subdirectory usr/local/etc and moved minicm and minirc.dfl to usr/local//etc/. Then, Ctl. T to open terminal from winscp, tried minicom, minicom -s, and tried minicom -s /dev/tty.baseband within the subdirectory of usr/local/etc, still I did not get through and could not execute any AT command.

Where did I go wrong?

Thanks.
    2007-11-02 06:49 AM
    I have installed BSD subsystem using ibrickr, with winscp, I created a subdirectory usr/local/etc and moved minicm and minirc.dfl to usr/local//etc/. Then, Ctl. T to open terminal from winscp, tried minicom, minicom -s, and tried minicom -s /dev/tty.baseband within the subdirectory of usr/local/etc, still I did not get through and could not execute any AT command.

Where did I go wrong?

Thanks.

Hi Guys:

Any suggestions, please?

Thanks.
    2007-11-03 08:37 AM

Where did I go wrong?

Thanks.
    If you installed minicom.dfl, there's no need to use the attribute "-s". What happens when you just type minicom? What is the error?
    2007-11-03 01:21 PM
    I'm on Rogers and I was having the same problem when I upgraded from 1.0.2 to 1.1.1, but I made a discovery last night. My phone was acting funny so I decided to wipe and re-install 1.1.1. After doing so I didn't bother to re-install app tap because I really didn't use that many of the third party apps anyway. Someone called and left me a voicemail last night and my voicemail indicator and voice text message worked! I believe installing BSD with app tap somehow inadvertently disables it.
    2007-11-03 04:31 PM
    If you installed minicom.dfl, there's no need to use the attribute "-s". What happens when you just type minicom? What is the error?
    Eurisko:

Here is what I got:

Thanks for your help.

Paul
    2007-11-03 05:47 PM
    Eurisko:

Here is what I got:

Thanks for your help.

Paul
    I have the same problem here as everyone else. I am having a problem getting MINICOM to run. The errors are as above, and my knowledge of MINICOM is no more that what is found in this thread.

Is it possible for someone to post a link or a guide to using MINICOM? For example, how do you "change serial port to "/dev/tty.baseband" manually"?

I have uploaded minirc.dfl to the usr/local/etc directory, and even attempted changing the permissions (though no one mentioned this). But nothing works. Not "minicom", not "minicom -s", and not "minicom - s /dev/tty.baseband".

I tried to copy the file /dev/tty.baseband to the usr/local/etc directory with WINSCP and it hung, so I had to abort.

Please - A DETAILED GUIDE with step by step instructions would be soooo much appreciated. I can't find detailed info on this anywhere online.

OK all, I finally got all the answers to how to run minicom, and I will do my best to put it all in Step by Step.
    But just a note here, I tried all this, and I am still without VM notification using Orange in France. So if anyone has any other suggestions, please post.

First, I recommend downloading necessary files from here (this was the first big hurdle) - http://www.editunes.com/en/iphone_unlock.php (look at links under "Step 1")

Next - (when you extract the archive look in Geohack folder) you will have to upload "termcap" file to the "/etc" directory using WINSCP . Right click on properties and change ALL to x - octal 0777.

Make sure you have the "minirc.dfl" *(this I got from the "iphoneunlock" pack of files somewhere on the web) file in the directory "/usr/local/etc". I set the permissions to all execute here also.

Now the key to everything is running the following command BEFORE you run minicom:
    (advance note here - this command is CASE SENSITIVE so be careful to note all the capital letters)

"launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.CommCenter.plist"

Then run "minicom" without the "-s"

Next run the At commands as previously posted:

"1. Type: AT+CSVM=1,"004" (you should get OK)
    2. Enter: CTRL-a
    3. Enter: CTRL-q
    " (I believe this should actually just be the letter "Q" without the CTRL)

After you are done with minicom and running those commands, you will have to run:
    (advance note here - this command is CASE SENSITIVE so be careful to note all the capital letters)

"launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.CommCenter.plist"

Hope this helps somebody. I spent at least 4 hours figuring this all out, and didn't even get the VM notification to work for me. At least you will now know how to use the minicom and bulldoze through the errors that were driving us all nuts.
    Cheers.
    Last edited by sendtotd; 2007-11-05 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2007-11-05 12:12 PM
    I've followed the step, HOWEVER, not only my voice mail notification still not working, I have LOST the dialing to voice mail function. Now when I press the voicemail icon, it dials out and says "Unfortunately we can not complete your call as dialed....."

What is going on now? How do I restore it back to normal?

By the way, I am with FIDO!

I have the same problem here as everyone else. I am having a problem getting MINICOM to run. The errors are as above, and my knowledge of MINICOM is no more that what is found in this thread.

Is it possible for someone to post a link or a guide to using MINICOM? For example, how do you "change serial port to "/dev/tty.baseband" manually"?

I have uploaded minirc.dfl to the usr/local/etc directory, and even attempted changing the permissions (though no one mentioned this). But nothing works. Not "minicom", not "minicom -s", and not "minicom - s /dev/tty.baseband".

I tried to copy the file /dev/tty.baseband to the usr/local/etc directory with WINSCP and it hung, so I had to abort.

Please - A DETAILED GUIDE with step by step instructions would be soooo much appreciated. I can't find detailed info on this anywhere online.

OK all, I finally got all the answers to how to run minicom, and I will do my best to put it all in Step by Step.
    But just a note here, I tried all this, and I am still without VM notification using Orange in France. So if anyone has any other suggestions, please post.

First, I recommend downloading necessary files from here (this was the first big hurdle) - http://www.editunes.com/en/iphone_unlock.php (look at links under "Step 1")

Next - (when you extract the archive look in Geohack folder) you will have to upload "termcap" file to the "/etc" directory using WINSCP . Right click on properties and change ALL to x - octal 0777.

Make sure you have the "minirc.dfl" *(this I got from the "iphoneunlock" pack of files somewhere on the web) file in the directory "/usr/local/etc". I set the permissions to all execute here also.

Now the key to everything is running the following command BEFORE you run minicom:

"launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.CommCenter.plist"

Then run "minicom" without the "-s"

Next run the At commands as previously posted:

"1. Type: AT+CSVM=1,"004" (you should get OK)
    2. Enter: CTRL-a
    3. Enter: CTRL-q
    " (I believe this should actually just be the letter "Q" without the CTRL)

After you are done with minicom and running those commands, you will have to run:

"launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.CommCenter.plist"

Hope this helps somebody. I spent at least 4 hours figuring this all out, and didn't even get the VM notification to work for me. At least you will now know how to use the minicom and bulldoze through the errors that were driving us all nuts.
    Cheers.
    2007-11-07 09:10 PM
    I dont get VM notifications either. In Australia on Optus. Any other Aussies with this problem? I didnt even think about it until I got an email from a friend saying he left me a voice mail..heh
    2007-11-08 10:19 AM
    hey guys i was reading this before i updated my phone to 1.1.1
    i gave it a shot and my vm works no problem i have the red dot it works

im on rogers as well
    all i did was follow this tutorial
    http://iphone.ranova.org/index.shtml
    2007-11-08 12:33 PM
    hey guys i was reading this before i updated my phone to 1.1.1
    i gave it a shot and my vm works no problem i have the red dot it works

im on rogers as well
    all i did was follow this tutorial
    http://iphone.ranova.org/index.shtml
    Thanks for the good news. By the way, were your phone unlocked with anySim 1.0 or 1.02 before upgrading from 1.0.2 to 1.1.1?

Thanks.
    2007-11-08 05:43 PM
    Thanks for the good news. By the way, were your phone unlocked with anySim 1.0 or 1.02 before upgrading from 1.0.2 to 1.1.1?

Thanks.
    hey paul i bought my phone unlocked with 1.0.2 and i didnt know what method was used but i revirginized first and then upgraded just to be on the safe side but everything seems to run PERFECT VM everything works edge as well 5mb sucks ROGERS SUCKs lol
    2007-11-12 03:37 AM
    hey paul i bought my phone unlocked with 1.0.2 and i didnt know what method was used but i revirginized first and then upgraded just to be on the safe side but everything seems to run PERFECT VM everything works edge as well 5mb sucks ROGERS SUCKs lol

It would appear I should give it a try. Is there anyone out there in the same situation and would provide us with some more input?

Paul
    2007-11-12 08:21 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD