I have WinPwn 2.0.0.4 and the correct firmware for my 3G Iphone. I load it into WinPwn and select Cydia as the app only and then uncheck activate iPhone and it builds the firmware. I load that firmware into iPwner and it says it pwns itunes. When I go into iTunes and run a restore, I get an unknown error has occured.

I have tried to change the resize partition settings but it does not seem to work.

Anyone have the settings they used which were ideal? I was told any partition under 550MB will work but it doesn't seem to work properly.
    2008-08-13 05:15 PM
    Try building the firmware with 850MB root partition. Also what firmware were you on before pwning and lastly confirm that you are in DFU before trying to restore.
    2008-08-13 05:24 PM
    Try building the firmware with 850MB root partition. Also what firmware were you on before pwning and lastly confirm that you are in DFU before trying to restore.
    I was on jailbroken 2.0 and then upgraded to normal 2.0 and both failed. I have tried DFU mode and also the itunes mode and still no go. I will follow your suggestion and try again.

Any issues having a 850 MB partition instead of a 500 MB?
    2008-08-13 05:34 PM
    I suggest doing a factory restore to 2.0.1 and then a DFU restore to the custom firmware. I used 1000MB root partition just to be on the safe side
    2008-08-13 05:37 PM
    Hi Guys,

First and foremost, I'd like to thank everyone for their hard work, both in developing and describing the applications that allow all of us to unlock our phones. I feel obligated to lend my experience to all newbies since you have all been god to me. My experience begins like this:

The phone I just unlocked was previously unlocked by someone else. It received a message from Itunes that an update was required. Once the update was loaded, Itunes no longer recognized the sim card.

The phone in question was the last of the first generation, I believe v1.1.4
    The computer I used to successfully unlock it runs on the Windows Vista platform.

In this site, I first found an application called Jailbreak which was supposed to do the job. Perhaps it was because I just didn't get, or of a lack of documentation, but I could never get it to work.

I then found a second application called Winpwn 2.0 that worked like a charm. Here's the step by step that worked for me:

Step 1 restore to factory defaults:

Like you, I first restored the phone to factory defaults using an approved carrier's sim card. I don't know if it was necessary to use an approved sim card, but I read that somewhere on this site for the other application. To do this, press and hold the home button and the power button for 20-25 seconds until you see the image of the cable link to itunes. Itunes loads up and tells you your phone has been detected in restore mode. Click OK, then click on restore. This process takes about 20-25 minutes. Once completed, Itunes wants to begin the process of activating the phone. I then closed the Itunes application.

Step 2 Download Winpwr and all the related files.

I followed the boss' instructions which for the most part were teriffic. The only problem I had was which files I needed to download(He has links setup for all of them). There are 2 versions of Iphone firmware, a 2 gig version and a 3 gig version. Being new to iPhone, I had no idea which i needed. I started with the 2 gig version. Downloading, I was offered a premium service which would allow me to download faster. The annoying part was having to wait the allotted 45 seconds for this message to disappear. Once gone, I downloaded the 2 gig version which took @ 10 minutes. Not knowing any better, I proceeded to download the 3 gig version. While this one was downloading, I checked out the Apple website and learned that since I had the older phone, the 2 gig version was what I needed, so I cancelled the other. I prceeded to download al of the other files he mentioned to my desktop.

Step 3 - Install Programs and Drivers

Again the Boss' instructions were great. The problem is I read one of his steps, then performed the action without realizing that the step wasn't finished. When you get to the step of ISPW Builder, MAKE SURE YOU COMPLETE ALL OF THE TABS THE WAY THE BOSS DESCRIBES before actually building the file. Also do as he says and save this file to your desktop to make it easy to find. I didn't the first time and had to try rebuilding it. I tried twice and both times got an error message that the file couldn't be built even though it completed the first time. I had to uninstall and reinstall Winpwr to get the program to work properly.

Step 4 DFU Mode Upgrade

It looked complicated the way the boss describes it because you don't know what to expect. Don't worry, you can try this step repeatedly. I noticed that the Winpwr action screen actually shows you when you achieve the DFU mode, so you don't have to guess.

Step 5 - Update via DFU

If you got here, you're almost home! The iTunes application will come back up, once again asking you to restore the phone software. This time IT'S VERY IMPORTANT TO HOLD THE SHIFT KEY when you click restore. Because you held the shift key the computer will ask you from which location to find the restore file. Look for the Custom Restore file you created on the desktop in step 3.

Now it's just a 20-30 minute wait and you're finally done.

Enjoy!
    2008-08-17 05:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD