ok. Here is what went down.

My girlfriend got an iPhone 16gb white. She didn't want white but got one so we could trade as I wanted a white one and I would give her my 16gb black.

I hook the white one up to my computer with no problems. Launch quickpwn RC3 (or 5.. Whatever the newest is). Follow the instructions. Seems all good. No errors. Cool. Says complete. Phone is restarting. AFTER that finishes I begin installing iTunes 8. Right before it finishes installing it crashes and Blue screens my PC. I restart and when it boots back into vista (32-bit) I launch iTunes to see if it finished or if it will launch at all. It does. iTunes 7.7.0. What I started with. I unplug and plug the phone back in. It quickly pops up the "installing new hardware" and the computer blue screens again.

To make a long story short. I uninstalled iTunes, apple mobile device support, apple updater. Installed iTunes 8 with no problems. I don't have a webcam installed, the camera roll is empty, and the problem persists. As soon as it's plugged in. BSOD.

I HAVE HAD NO ISSUE BEFORE THIS WITH BSOD's

I'm at my wits end. Called apple tech support and that was about as useful as inserting fire ants into the tip of my "cap'n".

Please don't say reinstall windows =\
    2008-09-10 02:29 AM
    What is the BSOD code?
    If I've helped you or even just made you laugh, hit Thanks. Every time you do, an iPhone gets jailbroken. FREE THE iPHONES!!!
    2008-09-10 02:42 AM
    iTunes 8 is out?
    Apple won't help you out at all because they would just blame it all on jailbreaking/unlocking.
    But let me get something straight, your phone is working and unlocked but your computer that did it is un-usable?
    2008-09-10 02:45 AM
    to OneRing2Rule. The code zooms past to quickly and the PC begins resetting. When I get home from work I'll see if I can set it to not restart immediately.

To DiPSet08. I didn't tell them I jailbroke it. Personally I don't think that is what did it. I tried hooking up both iPhones. My original which is a 2.0/winPwned. Which WAS the one that had no issues. It now does the same thing the new white one does. Does Quickpwn change any of the iPhones drivers?

Both phones are not unlocked. Only jailbroken. Both run perfectly fine. Well,.. Since the black is a 2.0 full of apps. Naturally it crashes sometimes. But that doesn't have anything to do with the PC. That's just 2.0's instabilities

My PC was rock stable. Running for nearly 2 years under moderate to heavy use with no major errors. (couple UAC issues that where resolved easily). Never BSOD'ed. Until today.

Now it's like someone turned on the "free hooker with every Blue screen* "

*offer only applies if iPhone is plugged in

another note. I plugged in a couple other USB devices and let them install to see if it was just a USB problem and they did fine. Only the iPhones crash it. Wish I could test an iPod and see if that does the same thing
    Last edited by felacio; 2008-09-10 at 04:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2008-09-10 04:04 AM
    I used to get this problem til I found out it was my USB port , it wasn't supplying enuff energy... I switched ports and everything was ok
    2008-09-10 05:09 AM
    I'll try that when
    I get home. I did try a different port. But it was attached to a hub with may have been connected to the same connection on the board. *sigh*. Worth a shot. Right?

UPDATED: different USB port did not work. Crashed again.

Ok, I'm on a good lead.

I decided to unplug ALL my USB...everything! then plugged the phone in. it worked, I was able to back up my black, and restore the white.

hmm, now to weed out the culprit.
    Last edited by felacio; 2008-09-10 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2008-09-10 09:31 AM
    It might just be a surge problem, then when you plug the iPhone , it gives u a bsod, try and get a USB PCI card or what ever bus u have (PCI express, etc). But yea , hope that helped out 4 ya , don't forget that beautiful thanks button on my post LOL :-p
    Last edited by z3r01; 2008-09-10 at 12:36 PM.
    2008-09-10 12:32 PM
    If you have an HP Printer plugged into your computer it will crash. Nice huh?
    2008-09-10 09:06 PM
    how about you rust roll back windows to a previous restore point...before you installed itunes8...should solve it...
    2008-09-11 03:05 AM
    I think iTunes 8 is causing people a lot of problems, not sure though.
    2008-09-11 04:51 AM
    I believe there are reports of itunes 8 giving vista computers the blue screen of death.
    2008-09-11 08:59 AM
    Sound's to me like your having a power issue?? What PSU (power supply unit) you got.. i.e what wattage is it.. If you have to unplug all your usb's for it to work, if defo a sign of a failing power supply. There very cheap nowa days, you can pick up a 700watt one for about 20.

A friend of mine had the same problem, his machine was a good few years old, i swapped the PSU and everything was working perfect again.

Dont go out and buy a PCI USB board as they need more power to run the extra USB ports, if you need extra USB buy a Powered USB hub..

Rolling back windows isnt really gonna do a great deal either as its a power isssue.

Dont forget Iphones need the computers to have a stable power supply as they charge the unit up at the same time they data stream..

Make you own visit this link.

http://www.modmyi.com/siggen/index.php
    2008-09-11 09:34 AM
    I know it's not my PSU or anything, it's a 750watt and I've put 2 Geforce8800GTX in this thing with no problems (only one in now, just borrowed my roommates while he was gone.)

HMMmmmm... I DO have an HP printer, and guess what.. I just unplugged the printer before plugging in the phone. and I'm still here.

So the Cap'n of Chaos is right!.. thanx for that heads up, I was about to go through and test each USB device.. you saved me some time!.

Let it be known!. HP and iPhone (and iTunes 8?) HATE you! but only when there together.
    2008-09-11 11:02 AM
    lmao

Glad you got it sorted..

Make you own visit this link.

http://www.modmyi.com/siggen/index.php
    2008-09-11 11:36 AM
    Do you have startup programs running for other USB peripherals? I have seen many incidents where computers which sync to multiple devices, have printers with memory card readers, and other misc. USB hardware find the startup programs competing for who gets to control what was just plugged in. Sometimes you end up with a delicate balance and a program update or new install will throw the whole damned thing out of whack.

I highly recommend a little program called Ccleaner (CCleaner - Home). It will do a safe clean-up of of your computer and it's registry but most importantly under TOOLS -> STARTUP it has a nice browser for all the applications loading on startup along with the option to delete or just disable the entry.
    2008-09-12 08:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD