i was just wondering, i've done some searching but still can't seem to find an exact answer.
    question is. i am with cingular/at&t and i want an iphone. is there anyway i can activate it and stay with cingular/att without having to sign up for the data plan and itune account. i dont really care for a sim unlock cus i like my service right now.. all i really need is to use the phone and its functions but hate to pay for data plan and itune account. thanks for any replies.

thanks...
    2007-09-06 05:27 AM
    yes... however... I would make sure that there aren't any programs automatically checking the internet (like mail applications) once you have it all done, as it might let you and just charge by the kb...

This is the method that has worked for me through each upgrade now... First try, no problems... I know there are other (possibly simpler) methods, but if you follow the directions, I know this one works...

http://www.hacktheiphone.com/iphone_...g_windows.html

http://www.hacktheiphone.com/iphone_...r_windows.html
    2007-09-06 06:09 PM
    You mean after follow this instruction, your phone will be functtion as an unlock phone and can recieve/make calls

Thanks

yes... however... I would make sure that there aren't any programs automatically checking the internet (like mail applications) once you have it all done, as it might let you and just charge by the kb...

This is the method that has worked for me through each upgrade now... First try, no problems... I know there are other (possibly simpler) methods, but if you follow the directions, I know this one works...

http://www.hacktheiphone.com/iphone_...g_windows.html

http://www.hacktheiphone.com/iphone_...r_windows.html
    I hope some one has follow the instruction from this link and can unlock the Iphone and report back to the forum

From what I heard that you can unlock the phone by Turbosim or Jtag only

Thanks
    Last edited by fast_car; 2007-09-07 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2007-09-07 01:35 AM
    Here is my experience:
    I tried the above links to activate my iphone but when it reach to the last steps on the 2nd link , it says "Waiting for AT&T Activation. This may take some time>" then I waited and waited. THe screen never changed to IPhone is activated. So I just slide to unlock. Now I am in the Main Menu screen instead of Emergency call screen. At this point, I was wondering, Did my iphone got activated or not. It says no Service at the upper left corner. Then I realize that the sim card in the iphone is the sim card comes with it originally. So I change to my Cingular sim card and it says Incorrect Sim card. I read the Note from the above link, it says the sim card might not be compatoble so I am going to ATT store and try to get a new sim card to see if it will work.

Is my iphone activated?
    2007-09-07 07:05 PM
    The above links do NOT unlock the phone... it simply lets you use other AT&T/Cingular sims than the one that came with your iphone.

Restore the iphone, and do it again using the correct ICCID and your Cingular sim card in the phone the entire time (You never should have the Iphone sim card in there).

I have used this multiple times and it does work. The only thing I'm not entirely sure of is if it will work with Itunes 7.4... haven't tried that
    2007-09-07 09:25 PM
    You mean IF I am a AT&T customer, and by using the link above to mod (unlock) the Iphone, then I can use my existing SIM card from other GSM phone and put into Iphone, then it will work?

IF it work, can you make or recieve call ?

Thanks
    Tan

The above links do NOT unlock the phone... it simply lets you use other AT&T/Cingular sims than the one that came with your iphone.

I have used this multiple times and it does work. The only thing I'm not entirely sure of is if it will work with Itunes 7.4... haven't tried that
    2007-09-07 10:54 PM
    I have used the above method to mod my iPhone to use my existing cingular sim. You must do this with your old sim card installed in the phone.
    2007-09-08 12:03 AM
    Good new, my will get my phone by next Monday, I have been reading the instruction over many times and hope that I will not screw up,

when you do the mod, do you put the existing working SIM in the iphone all the time and remove the SIM that came with the Iphone?

Thanks
    Tan

I got a Iphone today, and charge it up. I created a phonedmg folder and unzip to this folder, as window dos promt I run the jailbreak command and got the error

Question:
    do I need to upgrade the Iphone with Itunes prior to start the modding process, do where can I obtain the old version of Itunes since the 7.4 may have an issue

During modding process, which SIM card should I put into Iphone, the one come with Iphone or my existing SIM card

Thanks
    Tan

Thanks
    Last edited by fast_car; 2007-09-08 at 05:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2007-09-08 02:17 AM
    im so stuck , only on step 14

Back at the command shell window where iphoneinterface is still running, type these three commands:

cd /System/Library/Lockdown/

putfile /System/Library/Lockdown/iPhoneActivation.pem

This will copy over a modified iPhoneActivation.pem file that is required for this to work. Then type: exit

its not happing , im not sure what is the problem , but please look at the attach pic , please help
    Attached Thumbnails activate without itune stay with cingular/att-sssss.gif  
    2007-09-11 08:21 AM

Restore the iphone, and do it again using the correct ICCID and your Cingular sim card in the phone the entire time (You never should have the Iphone sim card in there).

Do your contacts work that were intially on your sim?
    2007-09-11 06:54 PM
    ok, so if i do get it activated. every functions of the phone will be working correct?.. but i will get charged for data(kbps) being sent when checking/receiving emails and such. ..... is there a way i can just turn that data function off so that it wont get emails, check weathers , etc.. and just use wifi whenever available? i dont wanna be charged data. i just want the ipod feature with phone function and wifi. thanks

one more thing.. does the iphone automatically updates its firmware if it detects a wifi connection? and is there a way to turn it off and stick with one firmware. ??
    Last edited by ele; 2007-09-12 at 03:16 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2007-09-12 03:15 AM
    ok, so if i do get it activated. every functions of the phone will be working correct?.. but i will get charged for data(kbps) being sent when checking/receiving emails and such. ..... is there a way i can just turn that data function off so that it wont get emails, check weathers , etc.. and just use wifi whenever available? i dont wanna be charged data. i just want the ipod feature with phone function and wifi. thanks

one more thing.. does the iphone automatically updates its firmware if it detects a wifi connection? and is there a way to turn it off and stick with one firmware. ??
    After activation , go to Settings - mail -Auto check and set that to manual .
    For the weather Simply just click on the little i in the bottom right then click on the red sign and delete.
    hope this will help you out
    2007-09-12 06:04 PM
    wow! great! .. looking forward to getting one this weekend now! but does anyone know how the firmware updating works.?? does it update auto when it detects wifi or how?

thanks in advance!
    2007-09-12 10:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD