not sure if this is the right section or not, but i was unsure of where i should post this. Sorry if it's not. . .Anyways. .

Last week I unlocked and jail-broken my iphone 3g and upgraded it to iOS 4.1. . .problem is, it wouldn't restore from backup so i just synced it as new. . Now it won't backup my phone and i keep getting an error that says "Backup failed because session with iphone could not be started". .

It syncs just fine, but it won't back it up.

Can someone please help!
    2010-09-30 12:02 AM
    Having same exact problem as you. Lost all of my contacts and music (fortunately that's still in itunes, but having to put it all on again is a pain in the ***).

Let me know if and how you get it resolved. Hopefully with the new jailbreak/unlock supposedly coming out soon, I'll be able to unlock my phone again. I've been able to jailbreak it again, but since I accidentally updated to 4.1 (thereby unintentionally updating the bandwidth as well), it's just a glorified ipod touch until the new unlock comes out...
    2010-10-10 08:37 AM
    You will have to re-jailbroken if sno0breeze was use.
    You have to use expert mode, do not choose *"ACTIVATE". this is the issue.
    You will have to either borrow someones AT&T card (sim card), or for about 12.00 bucks you can buy a go-phone, or a pre-paid AT&T sim. to activate.
    Hope this helps.

^You can use any AT&T sim carc, even a de-activated one will work. it may take 10 or 15 minutes but they work.
    Last edited by Bo Troxell; 2010-10-10 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-10-10 08:46 AM
    in order to unlock your iphone and use other carriers. go to cydia and download fuzzyband which will allo you do downgrade the baseband. go to the app and click downgrade wait a while then it has been already downgraded and then install ultrasnow.
    2010-10-11 03:37 AM
    Blkcadi,
    I did use sn0wbreeze to jailbreak, and i did use expert mode. i'm not on at&t, as i got my phone in japan. My service was on Softbank, but I've since moved to Australia, and I now have a Vodafone Sim card in my phone.

Flying_Monkei,
    I looked into fuzzyband before, and my understanding is that I can't downgrade my baseband b/c I'm on an iphone 3g, and only certain types of 3g's can be downgraded on fuzzyband. I actually tried to downgrade mine, and it told me I couldn't do it (I forget what the actual reason was).

I have no problem waiting a bit until the new unlock comes out on limera1n or whatever, but I would like to get my lost contacts back... I've tried using iphone backup extractor, but I can only get it to give me 2 contacts (not sure how to get the rest). Any info/help you can give me would be much appreciated!
    2010-10-11 07:45 AM
    I'm having the exact same problem. How do I manually put my contacts, pictures, etc back on my phone?
    2010-11-05 05:13 AM
    @skullboyknc, the problem blkcadi was saying is that you'll need the phone's official carrier's SIM to manually activate. Using expert mode, you want to de-select activate since that's technically allowing Sn0wbreeze to hacktivate. Hacktivation is what is causing your sync/backing up problems. Get the phone's official carrier's SIM to activate manually, that will solve all of the issues. If you can't, those are just the problems hackivate users have to deal with.
    2010-11-05 05:37 AM
    @Annie, I do have still have the official SIM. My problem, though, is that I need hacktivation b/c I need the unlock (I bought the phone in Japan, but am currently living in Australia, where the phone carriers are different). I had it hacktivated/unlocked before, but accidentally did the update to 4.1 through iTunes recently, and lost all my contacts as well as the unlock in the process. I have since re-jailbroken (I know I'm screwed on unlocking again probably until after 4.2 comes out), but I know all my contacts are still stored on that old SIM card.

I'll try what you suggested (hopefully that will fix the syncing problems), but I know there's also a way to retrieve the contacts I lost from the SIM using iphone backup extractor? I'm just not sure how to retrieve more than 1 w/o purchasing it. Any other advice you can give me on how to do that would be much appreciated.
    2010-11-05 06:51 AM
    You don't need hacktivation to unlock. The carrier SIM will allow you to access your springboard and get into Cydia to install ultrasn0w to unlock (when the new unlock is out).

If your contacts are saved in your SIM, you should be able to just go into settings>mail, contacts, calendars then scroll down till you see "import SIM contacts" and tap on that. It will put all your SIM contacts into your phonebook.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2010-11-05 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-11-05 06:59 AM
    Huh, I guess I've misunderstood what the term 'hacktivation' means. I thought it was the same as jailbreaking. I'll try what you suggested w/ snowbreeze to fix the syncing problem.

As for importing the contacts from my SIM, I've already tried hitting the "import SIM contacts" button, and it didn't do anything. That's why I got iphone backup extractor, but I'm having trouble using it.
    2010-11-06 01:01 AM
    Yep. Hacktivation is basically just bypassing the need for an official SIM to get past the emergency screen. You can jailbreak a device without hackivating. But yes, if you activate manually by official SIM, I can almost guarantee the syncing issue will go away (unless you have some sort of hardware issue which I don't think you do)
    2010-11-06 01:21 AM
    Ok, so I finally got around to trying your suggestion, and it worked! I didn't see any 'activate' button to turn on or off, but by popping in the original carrier SIM card and running sn0wbreeze (instead of running it w/ the new SIM card, which I had done before), I was able to get it to run and sync properly. Unfortunately, in the process it wiped everything off my iphone again, but I can reload all the music (again, sigh...).

Now I just have to solve the riddle of retrieving my lost contacts. I tried what you said w/ importing contacts, but that doesn't seem to want to work. Any idea how to retrieve contacts? I tried using iphone backup extractor, and I can only get 2 contacts but not the rest...
    2010-11-08 02:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD