I have seen some forums discussing this issues and I happen to own an iPhone 1.1.2 OTB, but recently unlocked and restored to 1.1.4 by Ziphone without any problem (didn't realise it downgraded my baseband till now)

First question, as you guys know since I've unlocked my iPhone with Ziphone and my baseband has been downgraded irreversibly so I'm having 04.04.05_G right now. As far as I read from other forums, there is currently no way to fix this issue i.e. upgrade the baseband back to the original one. Is there any disadvantage to this issue? Will there be a fix in the future? After the downgrade of my baseband by Ziphone, can I restore and unlock my iPhone with iLiberty+ in later updates?

Second question, as the title shows and also a lot of people are afraid to brick their iPhone permenantly since it's so precious but still demand installer app...... iLiberty+ or Ziphone, which is better for unlocking iPhone

As mentioned, I used Ziphone and everything worked perfectly except the downgrade of baseband bit which I don't really get what's the big deal of it except voiding the warranty. I have not used iLiberty+ but I could tell that there is an obvious transition of people using Ziphone starting to switch to iLiberty+ although Ziphone was once so powerful doing the impossible. I have also heard recently that Zibri deletes bad posts about Ziphone so it seemed perfect in apparent.

So... I would love to hear what you guys think about the 2 questions asked and the 2 unlocking softwares...

Good day!

Albert
    2008-04-08 06:38 PM
    there is a way to upgrade the downgraded bootloader now. maybe you haven't read enough. check in the News section here and read about pwnage. that allows you to downgrade and/or upgrade your bootloader.

other than voiding the warrenty, as long as your phone is working fine, there's no obvious advantage/disadvantage, but ziphone has known to cause a lot of unfixable issues such as greyed out wifi, etc. check hackthatphone.com's news page as well as bigboss's news page at sleepers.net on ziphone
    2008-04-08 06:42 PM
    Thanks for the advice I've read through all of them seems Ziphone is not doing well it has loads of issues lying around. Well I've got a question which I think is pretty stupid but I wanna make this clear because I've got a new 16GB 1.1.4OTB iPhone coming in next week.

Now that I have 8GB 1.1.2 OTB now firmware 1.1.4. I used Ziphone to unlock it, baseband has been downgraded irreversibly for sure. But now there is a software (PWNAGE) by the dev team to flash the bootloader (upgrade or downgrade the bootloader), as well as activating, unlock and jailbreaking an iPhone i.e. it could upgrade an iphone from 3.9BL to 4.6BL.

As mentioned earlier, my iPhone has been downgraded to 3.9BL now and I need to get it back to 4.6BL. The question is, IF I download PWNAGE now, and use it to restore my iphone to 1.1.4 (once again), jailbreak, unlock and activate AS WELL AS upgrading my bootloader from 3.9BL to 4.6BL... Everything comes back to normal just like now, except the bootloader's been recovered...

True or not? Correct me if I'm wrong...
    2008-04-08 07:31 PM
    you're welcome and yes, you can use pwnage to pwn your phone and install BootNeuter by including it in the custom firmware to unlock and upgrade your bootloader from 3.9bl to 4.6

make sure you follow the guide here, or you can also use iclarified.com's guide, which includes the download link to the bootloader images. the guide here doesn't include that unless it's been changed
    2008-04-08 07:36 PM
    Thanks for the info once again but I think I'll have to wait till PWNAGE to be fully operatable in Windows...

Albert
    2008-04-08 07:46 PM
    sure and also, if there's no need to restore and jailbreak your phone again then there's no need to run pwnage. you'll just end up spending time getting back to where you are now
    2008-04-08 07:48 PM
    The issue with ziphone is not the baseband downgrade, it's the bootloader downgrade, which it does if you unlock. There is no real issue as long as everything is working fine. But some people have had issues during the bootloader downgrade, which can definitely screw up the phone. But now that the pwnage tool has been released, you can downgrade and upgrade bootloaders whenever you wish. A windows version of pwnage should be out any day now.
    2008-04-08 11:12 PM
    I've typed my responses but it's gone. Weird probably it didn't go through anyway.....

To jtesnani:

Yeah probably I'll wait for 2.0 to come out, then by that time I will update my iphone to 2.0, jailbreak and unlock it at the same time upgrade my bootloader to 4.6 for sure with pwnage. Hope that's gonna be very near future.

To wine_guy:

Thanks for the info, umm yeah I was looking for a windows version, they said it's gonna be out very soon. Looking forward to it. Used Ziphone although it worked but I didn't like the idea of downgrading my bootloader although everything is working, that feels like destroying my original iPhone.

Well in overall I was panicking about my bootloader being downgraded because according to a lot of people in many forums they were like "it stays 3.9 FOREVER!!!... " and more phrases that freaked me out for a little bit but seems there is now a solution. So I think my iPhone will be working in 100% condition and quality and originality when I get to unlock and jailbreak 2.0 and upgrade to 4.6BL...

Oh yeah just a little question here, after you use pwnage to pwn your iphone, the apple becomes a pineapple, which is ok for me. But what happens IF I wish to revert back to original apple settings, do I restore it again and use a completely normaly firmware from apple to restore and update?
    Last edited by squaresoft; 2008-04-09 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2008-04-09 12:14 AM
    Ya, now you can upgrade and downgrade bootloader. So the ziphone bootloader downgrade is not the biggest deal.

When you pwn your phone, you have the option to stick with the stock apple images, or load the dev-team's custom images like the pineapple. And the beauty of the pwn tool, is that if you ever want to go back to stock, you simply just do a fresh restore in itunes with a stock firmware file.
    2008-04-09 01:08 AM
    thanks you guys have been helpful now I just have to wait for pwnage for windows to be released, then probably read some reviews on 2.0. Cuz i don't want to be updating to 2.0 and not getting most of the apps I like installed and run properly. Well I guess WinPWN is coming out real quick
    2008-04-10 09:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD