User Tag List

Hi, wonder if anyone can help me out with a query regards this.

Basically I got an iPhone month ago and unlocked ity using Ziphone. Everything worked perfectly, until yesterday when i half of the displayed stopped responding to touch.

So, on investigation i found that this is a common issue known as 'dead spots' and apple are rerplacing under warranty. It looks like it's hit and miss getting an apple swap them out with an unactivated device, however have decided to try my luck.

Obvisouly devices that have been tampered with or unlocked etc will be automatically void of warranty.

I have restored my device using iTunes to factory settings (1.1.4, as this was the firmware version that came installed), however I want to ensure that they can't tell that this has ever been unlocked.

On investigation i notice that they may be able to tell by the bootloader version, and ziphone downgrades to 3.9?

Will they be able to tell this if they cannot get into the settings menu, due to(a) the device not being activated, and (b) the touch screen not allowing you in that menu?

Also, is there any other way that they may be able to tell that the phone has been tampered with? When you restore in iTunes, is any information sent to apple relating to serial number, mac address etc etc.....?

Any help on this would be massively appreciated

Cheers in advance

Ben
    2008-05-28 10:51 AM
    hmmm, Ziphone doesent downgrade the bootloader at all... it just replaces it with 3.9a...
    its more than simple to upgrade back to 4.2 or w/e it is now...

i do know a way apple can tell if it has been water broken... in the headphone port theres a small white dot thing.. if thats pinkish... its water damaged... but poeple get past it by stuffing a small white peice of paper down there HAAHA!
    2008-05-28 04:16 PM
    hedleyb:
    Did you got it fix and did you find a response to your question?
    I'm almost thinking the same thing because my Iphone is giving me a "this Accesory is not made to work with Iphone" any time I unlock the phone, at random and any time I try to place a call; I'm thinking on sending it to Apple for hardware failure but I need to make my Iphone "out of the box and unlocked" again.

Any info will be appreciated!
    Last edited by regzgz; 2008-07-20 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2008-07-20 05:49 PM
    If you trying to get a replacement unit with the warranty why not just update to firmware 2.0. That is the easiest way of making the iPhone go back to all factory setting and removing any hacks that were done to unlock and jailbreak the iPhone. Or you can follow the steps at the link below. Make sure you don't follow the last part in step 14.

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/general...0-1-1-4-a.html

I hope this helps.
    2008-07-21 05:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD